Will a Server Hard Drive help?

psibomber

Right now I'm running a server off my computer for a couple of hours every day to play with people who visit the forums!

I want to run a little whitelisted server that runs almost 24/7 so i may consider buying a Virtual private server.

My question is, can a 1 TB external drive, a server hard drive, or a home server box help with setting up a server for project zomboid or other games? Maybe some of those things are overkill, or not used to help with server-related things at all but I thought I'd ask.

I'm fairly new to even starting a game server on my computer, a concept that some kids today grasp with ease, but I'm now switching my major to Computer Information Systems so I'm eager to learn more!

1TB is probably hard drive space. You could use the dedicated machine as long as it's decent enough, enough RAM and you could hypothetically could. The problem is though, depending how much traffic the server would get, your ISP could throttle your connection and cause some problems, which is why I always recommend someone uses a VPS since you don't need to worry about those problems. You're also not hosting on your own network if using a VPS so it gives you a bit of increased security. Malicious attacks towards the server (and your home network in turn) would probably not net you a great result. Attacking some server nowhere near your home is probably a bit better.

To be fair running a whitelisted server you could possibly get away with not having it at your home, but really I still wouldn't particularly recommend it. :)

My ISP would definitely throttle me it's notorious for that! I'm not worried about attacks as much cause of whitelisting, but maybe I will get VPS if I find a cheaper one hmm :3 

Thank yuu!

All they need is your IP, so all it would take is someone to leak the IP to the wrong person. :P

No problem though, have fun with hosting a server. :)