0/529 Chunks loaded: No fixes working, no obvious problem.

aTaniPora

Question

Edit: Using a VPN seems to circumvent the problem. I am okay with this for now. My IT department is stumped - they claim nothing is being blocked at all, which makes sense since I *can* connect to the server IP through tracert like I said below. Hopefully something changes to fix this! :(

My issue is that when trying to log in to a multiplayer server (I do not own the server), I get a page that says "Received 0/529 map chunks", which is then supposed to count up from 0/529 to 529/529 then say "Click to start". Instead, it stays at 0/529, then says "Failed to download map from the server" and gives a button to "Quit to desktop". I am aware this is a common issue, but I really can't see anything that could be wrong.

The main confusion I'm facing is that this happens on my university's campus ethernet, but not on my home wifi. On my home wifi, I can log in and play as normal. On campus, it gets stuck at 0.

This is strange, because my campus connection is faster than my home connection (Google speed test says 745.8mbps download, 655.2mbps upload, Ookla (to their Wegerg-Wildenrath, Germany server) says 104.3 download, 214.08 upload. I did Germany since the server is hosted there.). I also have called campus IT several times, and we are positive it's not a firewall issue - using a tracert in the command prompt, it's clear that I can connect to the server's IP, it's just that the map isn't loading.

It's not a hardware issue, installation issue, server capacity issue, or whitelist issue since I can connect from home. It's not a speed issue, since my home speed is slower. What could possibly be happening? Please let me know if you have any ideas.

I'll be looking into trying to borrow someone's hotspot and maybe trying out a VPN to see if it's a location-based issue. Thank you in advance.

4 answers to this question

Let me try to suggest some possible solutions to this problem.

- Use Cloudflare vpn. This is what our server admins suggest and a lot of players on the server use laptops and have far better internet connections than my own. I use a PC but vpn's I don't want to use them even if this is the most successful "cure" of the problem.

- Try try again. Restart steam. This is an interesting method that works sometimes. I think there are some sort of slots of a server and some of them are good while others are bad. Something like that. So when you retry enough times eventually you get a good port or slot or whatever to communicate.

- Reinstall game and mods after deleting manually. This also works for some reason. But why it works I have no idea. I can't wrap my head around the relationship between a few files decisively influencing your connection speed to a server.

Personally by now I have sunk a huge amount of time trying various solutions. They all work. But the next day the problem may be back, lol. I have tweaked UDP settings in windows registry, I have tweaked the ethernet card, the TCP settings, fragmented hard disks, and verified local files countless times over few months of playing PZ multiplayer. The issue is beyond a man's control. So I have decided to take a break and do something else for a while.

A few small updates ago or about two weeks ago everything was running fine and super fast. Failed to download map from server seemed to have become a memory, but now it has raised its ugly head again and I too am stumped as you are as to the cause of this. The server has 64gb ram, everybody can connect and play, but I get extremely poor download speeds at "downloading map meta" etc and then fails to download chunks. A few days ago I deleted mp save files and a few gigabytes of log files accumulated in the users/username/zomboid folder and steam cache iirc and the issue vanished and I could barely see the downloading map meta etc stages when joining a game. The next day it came back. Makes no sense.

I would agree with that, though as previously said this would be an effect on how the campus internet likely works, since the admins there may decide to throttle certain traffic, I would only recommend getting into contact with the administrators of the network to look into that, since as mentioned before this is purely a network issue and likely nothing to do with the server you are connecting to itself.

Archived