Tiles Rendering Order

TheZ

Hey, need a help here with rendring order.

How we can manage which object will be shown on top of another?

Usually if we place/built something (a tile) it will be shown on a very top at this square and will be overlapped by next on the same square.

But what is we want to change this rendering order later on - how to achieve that?

I tried some functions of a IsoObject class like renderlast, or setRenderYOffset - but doesn't look to be used propely.

Could anyone give any suggestions or options regarding that?

thank you.

Edited by TheZ

• 4 weeks later...

There are different types of IsoObjects.

For example, there are Tiles.

Tiles can be a flooring, which will be rendered at the very back of course.

Then there are Special tile objects. They will overlap Floorings. The can be stacked, and will be rendered in exactly that order (newest to oldest)

Then there are SpecialObjects which are most commonly solid structures or moveables. The will be rendered over tiles, of course.

Then there are many special types, defined by their properties like wallType etc.

Basically, they are also special objects, but due to their very own render functions, they will be rendered however it is implemented. (see ISWoodenWall.lua or ISWoodenStairs.lua as example)

For know, I did not see any z-Layer implementation exposed to Lua, so I guess you will have to change the objects manually. Something like changing their pointers and force re-render would be the cheapest way, I guess. The worst would be to remove the objects and recreate them in the correct order. Should still be performant as long as it only happens occasionally (e.g. when a player has finished building something)

Edited by stuck1a

Thank you stuck1a for your reply!
Your rendering order explanation is very useful. 

The only part is unknown for me now is the implementation of pointer swaping and the force re-rendering just after on.

I understand it like we shoud take our object initially assigned to variable "a" and assign it be variable "b", then assign something else to the variable "a" or just nulify it and then assign the object back from variable "b" to the variable "a" - but I really not sure that it is what you mean.

It would be really cool if you could give a short example here.

Anyway, thanks again for your effort.

Edited by TheZ

17 hours ago, TheZ said:

Thank you stuck1a for your reply!
Your rendering order explanation is very useful. 

The only part is unknown for me now is the implementation of pointer swaping and the force re-rendering just after on.

I understand it like we shoud take our object initially assigned to variable "a" and assign it be variable "b", then assign something else to the variable "a" or just nulify it and then assign the object back from variable "b" to the variable "a" - but I really not sure that it is what you mean.

It would be really cool if you could give a short example here.

Anyway, thanks again for your effort.

Hey TheZ,

As soon as I get out of the office I'll see if I can come up with a decent solution.

Didn't find time yesterday.

Just played around a bit - it seems like simply re-rendering isn't possible (only with many detours), so I think re-creating the object should be the better way.

You could try to re-use existing object, so you don't have to construct a new one.

Here is a quck and dirty example:

local OnKeyPressed = function(key)
  local oPlayer = getSpecificPlayer(0)
  local oSquare = oPlayer:getSquare()

-- set some dummy structures for testing (Key R)
  if key == 19 then
    local ISChair = ISSimpleFurniture:new('Wooden Chair', 'carpentry_01_36', 'carpentry_01_36')
    ISChair:create(oSquare:getX(), oSquare:getY(), oSquare:getZ(), false, 'carpentry_01_36')
    local ISTable = ISSimpleFurniture:new('Small Table with Drawer', 'carpentry_02_0', 'carpentry_02_0')
    ISTable:create(oSquare:getX(), oSquare:getY(), oSquare:getZ(), false, 'carpentry_02_0')
  end

-- switch objects (Key U)
  if key == 22 then
    local aObjects = oSquare:getObjects()
    local oFoundChair
    local oFoundTable
    -- check if we have the two objects on the square, we want to switch
    for i=0, aObjects:size() do
      local oCurr = aObjects:get(i)
      if instanceof(oCurr, 'IsoThumpable') then
        if oCurr:getName() == 'Wooden Chair' then
          oFoundChair = oCurr
        elseif oCurr:getName() == 'Small Table with Drawer' then
          oFoundTable = oCurr
        end
      end
    end
    -- now remove the existing chair and re-create it in front by using the stored object pointer
    if oFoundChair and oFoundTable then
      oSquare:transmitRemoveItemFromSquare(oFoundChair)
      oSquare:AddSpecialObject(oFoundChair)
      oFoundChair:transmitCompleteItemToServer()
    end
  end
end

Events.OnKeyPressed.Add(OnKeyPressed)
Edited by stuck1a