Characters deleted almost every time you log out

wolfgang784

Hello everyone. I recently came back to zomboid like many others to check out the multiplayer after so long and so far it is great. We do however seem to be having a problem where our characters are seemingly deleted randomly. I keep the server running 24/7 so that the world does not wipe and we have tried restarting it and deleting all the files to be sure that wasn't part of the issue. 

Whenever someone logs back into the game 2/3 times the character is deleted and they respawn back in the starting location again, losing the hard work put into the skills and gear of the other character. Last night I managed to log off and back in successfully twice before the third time deleted my character. After the server restarted that character was deleted as well but 2/4 other friends managed to log back in with the characters they had before that restart. 

The server is running in the background of my desktop computer since my actual server is currently in pieces. The computer is running windows 7 64-bit home premium with an AMD FX-9370 4.4GHz eight core, 16GB of ddr3 1600MHz ram, a standard WD 7200rpm hdd and an HD Radeon 7970 3GB. My internet connection at the moment is a bit slow, averaging out around 130 kilobytes/second upload and 2.4 megabytes/second download although the upload seems plenty so far to host the small ground (~6) of people currently playing. 

Anyway that seems to be about all of the information I can think of with the problem at the moment. I am about to leave for a few hours so unless the post it within the next 10 minutes I will not be responding for a little while but be assured I will later. It is just that in my experience it generally takes a few hours to get responses in the help sections of forums. But yea, thanks for reading this and thanks for any attempts at helping me to solve this problem. The game would be much more fun if we could gain more than a single level before losing the characters. 

Only thing I can think of is that you're logging in with a different username which could cause the illusion of restarting characters. Hmm. Have you actually checked the save folders to see if the saves are actually deleted or are they still there?

Only thing I can think of is that you're logging in with a different username which could cause the illusion of restarting characters. Hmm. Have you actually checked the save folders to see if the saves are actually deleted or are they still there?

I don't type anything in the box as it always has my username and password already saved but I do see in my save files that it keeps creating a new save and putting a number after it. Ex: 127.0.0.1_wolf0, 127.0.0.1_wolf1, 127.0.0.1_wolf3, 127.0.0.1_wolf4

Is there any way for me to control which of these profiles is loaded since they all have the same username and password? I guess I will go try a few things and see what I can find out, as I know very little about the way zomboid and the server saves things. 

Also just to be sure, the server save is within the sandbox folder currently right? That is where I found all those saves (the only saves) as well as folder named servertest that is large enough to be the map, so I am working under the assumption that I found the correct saves. 

I had a similar style of issue as the server host, seemed to create a new character each time, but only happened to myself as the host machine, not the players.

I think it was because the game would just create a new character each time i joined my server.

Thanks for the information, its good to know someone else is having a similar issue. I noticed you said you had the problem rather than have, meaning you have solved it right? Would you mind sharing what solution(s) you implemented to keep the same character over multiple sessions?

EDIT::: I found a temporary solution that will work for a while. Every time I close the game I create a backup of the save and when I log in the next time if the server gives me a new save folder and character then I just copy the old files into the new folder and repeat. I should be able to retain my character forever like this. Im certainly still open to any actual solutions people might have though as I am sure this will become annoying as time goes on. 

• 11 months later...