Odd Deaths That Don't Make Sense - Intentional or Not?

CaptKaspar

Last night we had two players die at the same time that seemed off to us. I thought I'd ask here to see if this seems right, and if not I can move it over to a bug report. 

Two players went to sleep in two different cars near each other. The cars had their windows intact and up. The cars were not running. The outside temperature overnight was around 40F. Both players were well dressed for cold weather. One player had a scratch, the other had no injuries. Neither player was starving or thirsty. There were A LOT of dead zombies in the general vicinity of the cars. Both players reported being "queasy" before going to sleep- assumed from the zombie corpses. Both players had their health plummet suddenly while sleeping and before they could respond and wake-up, they both died. 

Is this intentional? Are zombie corpses that deadly that quickly? If so, wouldn't being in a car with the windows up mitigate at least some of their rot/stench/poison/toxins/deadliness? This seemed wrong and didn't sit well with us. 

We think getting sick from being around corpses is very appropriate and a great mechanic to the game, but dying rapidly in a single night seems a bit extreme, especially in a car that would have very little outside air transfer (there would be some of course, but not much). 

Thoughts? Bug or no?

I could see not being able to sleep because of the stench, getting sick and puking, maybe being disoriented and slowly losing health. 

But, dying in a single night when you’re not directly exposed to them seems extreme. 

If the corpses were that deadly, I would think we should need to clean ourselves of their blood and guts more frequently. For that matter it also should not matter if the zombies are “alive” or “dead” - they’re rotting corpses either way. When they “die” nothing really changes. Just being in the presence of zombies should make us sick. So we should start to get sick and die even if we’re hiding or fighting nearby zombies. It doesn’t really make sense.

Again, I think in concept its a great mechanic to make us have to deal with the corpses, but the balance of this feel off to me. 

The char with the scratch died of the infection I'd guess -> a scratch has a slim chance to infect you with the z-virus after all. For the second one I have no idea. If it really was just being around corpses for a few hours, I agree with you that this mechanic is somewhat overly punishing. But I for myself never had this issue. Did occasionally sleep in houses with one or two dead bodies inside and never died of it.

Corpse sickness can be turned down, or off, in the sandbox settings.  If you're awake you sickness moodle will let you know you're getting worse - giving you plenty of time to vacate the area.

I believe you only get sick when there's a few bodiesa round, on or two won't be a problem, I've heard the minimum is 20 bodies but I don't know if that's accurate.

I have got corpse sick (left before I died) whilst in a stationary vehicle with a 100+ corpses around for a few (I'd guess about 4) hours. May or may not explain what you're seeing but I can confirm that being in a vehicle doesn't protect you from it (or at least if it does it's partial not total protection, and is not enough to offset the effect of a lot of corpses!)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I did not know being around a lot of corpses can KILL you. That seems odd to me.
While i doubt you'd be able to actually SLEEP around a lot of corpses IRL, I also doubt you'd DIE somehow from it lol.

Is the infection supposed to play a part in that I'm guessing? And just being around infected dead zombies causes the issue?
Does the Desensitized (Veteran) perk immune to this issue?

Sounds odd. But, remembering that the virus was airborne, and that we were somehow immune to the airborne infection, I could see it being that we weren't actually immune, just resistant to the viral load in the air at the time. And then being amidst a pile of rotting hosts (who are presumably continuing to decay and let off gas) exposed you to an aerial viral load that was above our resistance threshold.

That said, this headcanon only makes sense if you rose after dying. And in any case it's probably not what the devs intended.

Archived