Changes to the barricade system

Elliohow

When barricading in real life, if I was to say, barricade windows and doors from the outside, the barricades could easily be stripped away using a hammer.

If I barricaded from the inside, unless the person trying to unbarricade was on the inside, the wouldn't merely be able to use a hammer to take the nails out and unbarricade, they would have to smash through the window/door, then the barricades.

This was not a problem before multiplayer and/or npcs, but with multiplayer coming soon, a way for players to not just unbarricade using a hammer if you barricaded the house on the inside may be a feature needed soon.

A visual representation of this could be seen when you mouseover the barricades, I.e. Barricade (outside), barricade (inside). Or if the barricades are on the inside you may not be able to see them at all.

This would also facilitate being able to strengthen windows and doors even more, being able to both barricade on the inside and the outside.

I agree that it would be great to be able to choose which side to barricade.

I see it like this: when you barricade from the outside it defends very well from zombies and attacking NPCs but leaves it vulnerable for dismantling with a hammer or a screwdriver. If barricaded from the inside, after the window has been broken, the barricade isn't as sturdy against pushing force as it relies only on the nails, but it can't be "unbarricaded".

You hammer the nails in at an angle.

Don't think an amateur at construction would know that, but yes, that's true.

Regardless, the force required to cut/push a plank in half is usually greater than the force required to push it off the nails/screws.

Have you done some actual construction work, because I did and can tell you, that it's easier to push the board with straight nails off, than to break the board in half.

You hammer the nails in at an angle.

Don't think an amateur at construction would know that, but yes, that's true.

Regardless, the force required to cut/push a plank in half is usually greater than the force required to push it off the nails/screws.

Have you done some actual construction work, because I did and can tell you, that it's easier to push the board with straight nails off, than to break the board in half.

Didn't Suomi already say that? I think you misread him.

Also no idea if it currently happens but do boards get stronger with higher carpentry levels? If not at level 2 or something they can be stronger, representing better nail angling.

How about Cross barricading? Barricade a window from inside then add a second layer of boards vertical behind it. Maybe with carpentery lvl 3 you would be clever enough to add an anchor frame around the window where you nail the vertical boards to. Even with an axe you would have a hard time breaking These barricades.

How about Cross barricading? Barricade a window from inside then add a second layer of boards vertical behind it. Maybe with carpentery lvl 3 you would be clever enough to add an anchor frame around the window where you nail the vertical boards to. Even with an axe you would have a hard time breaking These barricades.

That's an interesting idea explaining how carpentry level can influence resistance of barricades.

That's an interesting idea explaining how carpentry level can influence resistance of barricades.

Yes maybe if you leveled up you could collect the material and then 'reinforce barricade'. This would make the safehous a flowing process where you could 'upgrade' your existing stuff...making your safehouse better, the more you learned and survived.