Inventory Idea

Zainox

I know you guys like the sugestions to be simple, this one isn't exactly so. What I'm thinking will change the inventory as we have it now quite abit. So what I was thinking was to make it more realistic. I think in the bags there should be limited space to put items. I made a quick image to show what I mean.

46a.png

So in a bag will be a bunch of squares. Pretty much the items you pick up will be shaped and placed within these squares. So pretty much if it dosen't fit, you can't pick it up. So instead of having an infinate amount of carry space, it will be brought down to this more realistic system. The bag size and shape will of course be different depending on the bag.

Thoughts?

I'm not sure about this system. I have liked it in other games. If I'd make the inventory I'd probably make it look like the character where you would put stuff in your pockets and in your hands or containers if you had any. Maybe apply that kind of idea with the weight and then the limited amount of big stuff you'd be able to carry...

well i like it more cause im more for realism.

Carry cappacity depends on ur strenght so you cant carry more than 100lbs or too much items.

But dont make it too low like in game Zafehouse Diaries cause then you cant carry much items and game loses its fun it must be balanced.

I dont know what it will be cause i dont hear word from developers what will they do with game in future!?

Ok I got a bit carried away here:

This is what I'd like. I have seen similar but not done like this.

Basically items would have size and weight and as a counter containers would have a size limit and your body parts (or maybe just the whole body like at the moment) would have a weight limit. And you would more likely be out of room to put stuff into rather than over-encumbered. But if you would be carrying large a full hiking bag and 4 shopping bags on your hands (which is possible in real life...) you would definitely be over-encumbered.

So this is what I thought of:

post-359-0-30861700-1376042370_thumb.png

Sorry about the image quality I suck at drawing stuff on computers... and the weights and grid sizes are just pulled from my rear end.

as you start you would have space on your hands and your pockets. You would also be able to wear your shirt, pants and shoes without it filling inv space. this is the most limiting part as you would start with maybe being able to carry two bags of chips, a can of food and a knife on your one hand as a primary weapon. This would make containers a must if you're going on a loot mission.

But things will get easier when you find a backpack. You would be able to put here shotguns etc. that would really fit into a backpack. Also hauling stuff wouldn't be impossible if you'd get the aforementioned hiking bag and 4 plastic bags. You would be slow, but you are slow already if you have lots of stuff.

"Now what do I do when I have my hands full of shopping bags and a zombie attacks?" This has been discussed here. It also has lots of good Ideas about different containers ;). basically you would have a button that would drop the bags and maybe grab your primary weapon. for example you have your bags and press "1" and you would drop your bags and grab the baseball bat sticking from your backpack.

Ok I know this is pretty hardcore and probably not that easy to do, but it most definitely would be realistic as you wouldn't be able to carry a shotgun in your pocket and have two hands free for swinging your bat... but this system would allow you to put your pistol in you pocket (or holster on the belt slot) and after swinging that bat, take the pistol on your primary hand to shoot and leave the bat on the other.

I think lots of people wouldn't like this mainly because it really limits the start of the game and makes it a lot more harder, but if you have questions or ideas then shoot!

Sorry Zainox didn't wanna try n steal your thread here :oops:

EDIT: You would still be able to stack items to a degree like say 20 nails and 2 planks (as they're even so wouldn't take as much space when on top of each other) or something like that.

The bags would be exactly like zainox said

Why is a grid more realistic than a maximum carrying capacity? You already can't put more stuff in a bag than it allows.

As nasKo said, I'm also against inventory tetris.

I dont know what it will be cause i dont hear word from developers what will they do with game in future!?

So you don't hear a word from the developers? What about this:

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/79-

Oh ... and don't forget our Mondoids. So yeah actually I hear quite a lot from the devs.

I see where your comming from now and I like this idea. As annoying as it would be to drop your plastic bags to weild a weapon may be, I like it just due to the main fact of realism. This kinda makes plastic bags an after thought if you just want to haul alot of stuff instead of just equiping alot of them which I like. As well as the added difficulty to the beginning of the game with not being able to carry alot of stuff I like due to the realism. There could always be an option or a difficulty where you start with a bag or something. I also like the idea of being able to stuff your pockets full too.

This is known as inventory tetris and the devs spoke against it.
Since the inventory is made in Lua you can totally expect someone to make a mod for it.

Just read this after posting that. :P

Why is a grid more realistic than a maximum carrying capacity? You already can't put more stuff in a bag than it allows.

The point being with this idea is it incorporates both weight and space. I think the bag thing could also be done with the current system, but the main realism point is you really can't carry 4 baseball bats without any sort of bag or container and then also be shooting a shotgun.

Ok good to know, is it possible to do at the moment with lua or are there some restrictions that would require java fidling?

Well it would require quite a lot of work acutally, because you'd need to redraw all the item icons to match the different sizes, then you'd have to write a grid system, etc, etc etc... ;)

Yea I realize that it would be a lot of work as I said earlier and I don't think it will happen(especially if the devs already made their minds), just wanted to splur this out of my system. :D

I shall now wait and try to figure out how to mod these kind of things... who knows maybe in the very distant future someone will make this happen.

Oh ... and don't forget our Mondoids. So yeah actually I hear quite a lot from the devs.

i read that and i thought those are minor upgrade i was thinking something major like NPCs or different interface

i read that and i thought those are minor upgrade i was thinking something major like NPCs or different interface

NPCs were discussed on the last Mondoid and it was a pretty major thing.

Oh, but I am actually all FOR inventory tetris. The devs are against it (at least I remember Binky was).

It would give me a feeling of organizing my stuff instead of cramming fucktons of shit into a container.

I liked STALKERs inventory a lot.

Oh, but I am actually all FOR inventory tetris. The devs are against it (at least I remember Binky was).

It would give me a feeling of organizing my stuff instead of cramming fucktons of shit into a container.

I liked STALKERs inventory a lot.

Hm ... then I guess we are enemies now :P:D Stalker's inventory was great, but also its main focus wasn't looting ;) I really think that a micro management inventory like that would cost a lot of time in PZ.

What I do want to see though is a threshold with how many bags the player can carry, but I guess that's on the dev's plate anyway.

Should we start a poll? If it gets enough votes, would the devs consider it?

Nope. Suggestions are just that: Suggestions. They might consider it.

People (and I don't mean you btw) need to understand that an Alpha game isn't a "democratic" process and the devs aren't building a game based on community suggestions.

Hm ... then I guess we are enemies now :P:D Stalker's inventory was great, but also its main focus wasn't looting ;) I really think that a micro management inventory like that would cost a lot of time in PZ.

What I do want to see though is a threshold with how many bags the player can carry, but I guess that's on the dev's plate anyway.

Yeah you're probably right about the loot-focus.

I quit arguing about it because I believe the devs have some valid reasons to not have it in.

As long as I am given the option to have it as a mod, I'm fine and everyone who doesn't like it can go fuck themselves doesn't ahve to deal with it. :)

A threshold on the bags will come. Confirmed by one if not some of the plebelopers.

Should we start a poll? If it gets enough votes, would the devs consider it?

Eh. As RoboMat said, development  isn't a democratic process.

It would give the devs an indication of what the peeps would want, though.

So I was going to start a Thread about this im glad I poked around and found this one. A easy solution to this to make it both more real and not have to play the silly Inv game like you do in games like Diablo. Just have 2 values 1 for weight one for Space, it would work like building a Mech in pen and paper Battletech how it worked was like this. A Battle Mech has 32 Critical Slots, Equipment takes up critical space slots based on its size ( a small laser takes 1 slot, a Large Auto Cannon could take as much as 10 slots ) The equipment also has weight. the Mechs came in all sizes ranging from 20 tons up to 100 tons. This prevented you from building a 100 ton mech with 70 small Lasers, and Prevented a 20 ton mech from carrying a 15 ton Gauss Rifle.

If you used a system based on idea then Bags would be able to hold a believable amount of stuff inside with out the player having to micro his inv. 

I dont know much about programing but it also seems like this would be was easier to program as well, no graphics to draw or anything just a second set of values to add to existing items and bags. 

I really like that idea. I don't think know if it is possible to mod it at the moment because the items, inventory, containers and bags would all need a new "space" value added to them and that would require modifying the java base... or maybe someone smarter than me could figure something to get around this... Anyone?

This wouldn't still fill your hands when you carry stuff but then that is a different kind of system altogether. Maybe have container bags work only when worn, equipped or inside a larger container. Otherwise you would just have them folded neatly in a pile with the rest of the stuff. And then maybe make the inventory space alot smaller than the bags so that you wouldn't be able to carry lots of large items without a bag of somekind. This way you wouldn't be able to get lots of stuff in your inv (or if they'd represent the hands and pocets) and also you wouldn't get too easily encumbered if carrying a backpack for example. Also hand held bags wouldn't necessarily have any weight reduction benefit, but only the space so backpacks would be the thing to go for.

Then maybe have something like the holsters and utility belts discussed add to your basic inventorý space a little. These would act as open containers where you would have the items by your hand in a whim so they wouldn't need their own container slots/icons, but just add to your inv space.

Now again I'm thinking about this more as a mod rather than seeing it in vanilla...

EDIT: offtopic I gots a member title. Yay! (clyde)  although I have no idea what it would mean. :huh: