Minerals - Return to the past!

GG Cannon

This is a tiny bit complex and big one, but I did the proper research on everything:

1. Resources Available

• First of all, since it took me a LOT of research and I actually got a regional map of the region of Muldraugh, Kentucky mineral deposits map, I'll start with this since it is a compilation of the basic information I researched about the area where the game takes place.

image.thumb.png.741f4de8dc8d110a05d2cd2a0db5470c.png

As you can see in the map, there are a lot of resources available in the region of the game that could be very interesting to be added to the game as things we can properly exploit and collect, including a CEMENT PLANT between Muldraugh and Louisville, around where "West Point" is.

But most importantly, is the presence of Limestone and Dolomite.
    Limestone not only is a wonder building material that can be used to BUILD CASTLE WALLS if you want to, it is also a material for producing Lime, primarily known for treating soils, purifying water and smelting copper, important ingredient in chemical industries and more, including producing magnesium. (Source)
    While Dolomite is useful as a a source of magnesium oxide and as a flux for the smelting of iron and steel. (Source)
    (And Dolomite is only present in Louisville, might I add)

There are also several already existing sand and gravel pits in the region, including abandoned silica sand pits, that are useful for MAKING GLASS.
    Not only that, there are active clay pits in the area that have innumerable uses, including making roof tiles, but also in blacksmithing as casting material.
    There is also a Brick plant right under Loisville, 

There are sources of Gypsum, that among its uses is used for "Drywall" (Source)
    And Fluoride, used in aluminium smelting and to separate slag in steel-making. (Source)

2- Extraction

• With the upcoming basements and underground updates, while I heard the devs were thinking about underground areas such as sewers, my very first thought actually was underground mines and caves filed with zombies and how hard it would be to use the pickaxe as a tool to mine or to use bombs to break down the rock to mine with the sound of explosions bringing in zombies from miles away, which started me on this research as I wanted to know what mineral resources were available in the IRL area that the game takes place.

The tools needed for this mining process are already present as items in the game, needing to add and program the new functions while the underground areas update is already midway and as such the perfect moment to consider this possibility as it is still possible to make any needed change to make the process of mining, digging and extraction of resources possible.

3- Chemistry

• This is the most complex part of the update with the need to program a whole new skill, profession, VHS, books and more, but with an unimaginable degree of return and a whole new way to play the game that adds so much possibilities, specially if you include the upcoming NPCs upgrade and the possibility of having NPC chemists or train an NPC into being a chemist.

Not only would adding these materials, mining locations and the possibility to process them add a lot to the game, the added possibilities of chemistry, such as making black gun powder out of urine, feces and corpses (plenty to go around, and since there is no need to use bathrooms and that is a big No, just using corpses and time would be enough).

This also adds and mixes perfectly with any future blacksmithing update and profession that seems to already be planned as well as with construction with the possibility of processing materials to produce better or more building materials such as plaster.

Specially since chemistry it is heavily intertwined with medicine and places that deal with that. Not only there already are many places where you could add chemicals to be found in the world, the Chemist profession would be very useful to help with any doctor and the First Aid skill that will probably become a lot more useful an needed with the addition of NPCs to the game, specially if those NPCs get hurt from time to time due to many possible reasons.

4- Masonry & Sculpting

• Another possibility with mining and the new materials that could have a skill of its own with unique benefits and usefulness is masonry, that not only could be useful to build out of cut rocks, but also to produce statues that can be used to decorate bases for increased emotional support for your NPC and player survivors, decoration, but also a tradeable good that can be purchased and sold to merchant NPCs if they are added to the game.

Being able to build out of bricks and stones, as I mentioned in a previous suggestion of mine, would be invaluable to the game and something extremely needed and useful in a zombie apocalypse.

Together with a possible Blacksmithing update, masonry would also be very useful and possibly a needed skill to build furnaces and other things, like a coal and wood burning grill or oven both made out of bricks for cooking.

Masonry would be the skill needed to refine materials out of rocks but also to build with rocks and bricks of all types, possibly even to build with concrete.

The Important Questions

• Is it somewhat realistic?
    Very much so. Not only as I showed with the research, the materials are there and there could and SHOULD be places where you would be able to find chemicals and other materials for the chemist profession.

• Does it fit with the spirit of PZ?
    Perfectly so. Being able to handle every resource available to you in a catastrophic situation as a zombie apocalypse is exactly the type of skillset that can be the difference between life and death. Not only is it realistic as stated, but also survivors in that situation would probably re-learn how to get those resources and use to further their survival attempts.

• Would it make the game too easy?
    Not at all. While it adds possible construction materials that are a lot more durable for base building, the required skill and risk involved in getting and using those materials create a whole new aspect to the game that requires equal effort and risks for those returns. It actually creates a lot more places that require visiting and reasons to get out from your safe location and venture into the world.

• Would it require rewriting the entire game (like changing the camera view, for instance)
    Not really. It does require the programming of 2 new professions and skills, but not to re-write anything already existent with the exception of adding the function of mining to the pickaxe and the pipe-bombs, because the biggest section that might possibly need some degree of rewritting is still under development and, as such, the most auspicious moment to add this together with that underground areas upgrade..

• Would it add enough to the gameplay that it would be worth taking the time to add?
    DEFINITELY. Considering how much this would add to the game as an array of options, skillset, important places to visit, buildables and craftables, the return this would add to the game is absurd, including but not limited to plenty more reasons to risk yourself and venture into Louisville.

• Would it be found in Muldraugh, Kentucky common enough to be added?
    As I showed with the map that also can be clicked to show the full Kentucky area mineral deposits map, yep. Everything is there.

Edited by GG Cannon

• 2 weeks later...