Server Hosts

Grumbul

Thanks Connall, 

Do you have any VPS hosts you'd recommend?

Is there a guide to setting everything up on a VPS as there is for Linux?

A VPS is just a fancy way for saying a server. It's not like an operating system, you can choose the OS of your VPS to be linux, then follow the guide I provided in the tutorial. Just follow the guide: http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/5841-buying-running-a-linux-project-zomboid-server/

As it covers buying a server and choosing the Linux OS.

Erm, not to come off as arsey but I know exactly what a VPS is - I was just asking if you knew of any hosts that you'd recommend for hosting games as I know many server hosting companies would not permit that.

Also, I was asking for a step by step guide for setting this up on a Windows VPS - as I said I am aware of the Linux guide - is there one for Windows?

By the way the game itself rocks - absolutely loved what I have seen so far!

Erm, not to come off as arsey but I know exactly what a VPS is - I was just asking if you knew of any hosts that you'd recommend for hosting games as I know many server hosting companies would not permit that.

Also, I was asking for a step by step guide for setting this up on a Windows VPS - as I said I am aware of the Linux guide - is there one for Windows?

By the way the game itself rocks - absolutely loved what I have seen so far!

-snip misread- If you want to be setting up a server on windows machine that you are used to, you will need to set the server up on your own machine. I'm not privy to the specifics of how Windows Server OS works.

A VPS is basically a computer that allows a user access to parts of it's resources. So you know how a computer might have 8GB? Well imagine if you could have a second user have access to the machine but only use 4GB. If you don't know what a VPS is then I highly suggest doing research before buying one to understand what you would be getting yourself into.

You could just host the server on your own machine, but the advantage of having a VPS is that it can potentially be 24/7. If you want to see the installation instructions for a windows machine you can look here: http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/6016-multiplayer-faq/#setup

LOL, I think we are running in circles here Connall but I do appreciate you trying to help so many thanks.

I am very, very aware of what a VPS is and how they work which is why I am interested in having one running Project Zomboid - as you say this enables the game server to run 24/7 and I'd really rather not host the game on my own hardware.

I think you answered my query when you say you are unsure of how Windows Server OS works - that is why I asked of there was a guide like you did for the Linux set-up.

I appreciate you trying to help - let's hope the beta goes well and some of the more well known game server hosting companies step up and offer a service.

Out of interest - are there any companies you would recommend who do allow game hosting - your Linux guide is very detailed but there is no mention of anyone you'd consider for this.

LOL, I think we are running in circles here Connall but I do appreciate you trying to help so many thanks.

I am very, very aware of what a VPS is and how they work which is why I am interested in having one running Project Zomboid - as you say this enables the game server to run 24/7 and I'd really rather not host the game on my own hardware.

I think you answered my query when you say you are unsure of how Windows Server OS works - that is why I asked of there was a guide like you did for the Linux set-up.

I appreciate you trying to help - let's hope the beta goes well and some of the more well known game server hosting companies step up and offer a service.

Out of interest - are there any companies you would recommend who do allow game hosting - your Linux guide is very detailed but there is no mention of anyone you'd consider for this.

Excerpt from the guide:

...I bought from NFOServers and I’m pretty happy with it so far, everybody has their preferences and different experiences, so just make sure to do the research.

Outside of them, I really don't know. Usually I found people didn't allow game servers for one reason or another. There is no guide for Windows Server. Maybe it will be something that I'll think about later on, but for the time being I think Linux is just suitable for the job if you're not hosting on your own hardware. Outside of NFOServers you would just have to do research, I haven't had dealings with other server companies to really give an informed opinion about them, without it just being pure speculation.

Sorry about the VPS thing, I kept misreading your post. Just one of those days I guess.  :???: