Realmkeeper

So, for those of you interested in getting into learning a bit of (basic) game programming/development, Game Maker Studio Standard Edition is free for a limited time!

(Downloading and registering a license between 22nd Feb, and 2nd March 2014)

$50 Standard Studio for free, and/or $50 upgrade to Pro for only $35

For a limited time, GameMaker Studio Standard edition is available for free. Valued at $49.99, GameMaker Studio Standard is a significant improvement upon the free version of the software which imposes harsh restrictions on the resources that developers can make use of.

http://gamemakerblog.com/2014/02/22/gamemaker-studio-standard-edition-is-free-for-a-limited-time-50-value/

Best of luck to you budding developers, and i look forward to seeing what creations you might come up with!

Hmmm.... I got burned by darkBasic a while back ( a couple of months of work down the toilet  :( ) & whenever I see programs like this I think of darkBasic's crappy younger brother FPS Creator.... Sure they both LOOK amazing but seriously lack in the performance department. 500 pollys in multiple models with shadow & bump mapping & my program grinds to a halt, mind you there may have been some recent updates....  :unsure:

You might as well start with mod in lua. PZ is in playable state and instead of focusing on some of the more complex things on top of learning language, you will be able to put all your enthusiasm in making things that will be visible soon enough to give you more encouragement to learn more and do more.

Going with that approach will give you some benefit of learning A programming language and algorithms, so walking before running. You will also spend some time on improvingmthe game and showing via mod that your ideas are playable and interesting.

Great ... but i am not quite sure if my free version is now updated O.o i got a code entered it and game maker updated , but if i start the game it still says "Update now to standard for free" ... is there a way to find out if its updated or not ?

In the last box (The right-most one) enter the registration key you were emailed. (as opposed to the middle one, where you previously entered your email address)

This should register your copy, and allow you to apply updates whenever you like.

I cannot 100% confirm this, but apparently if you do the $35 upgrade to GameMaker Pro (from this free standard) they will give you a Steam key for Pro, that's for Pro ONLY apparently.  So if by chance you already have GameMaker Standard on Steam and want to upgrade to Pro for $35, you can do so indirectly thru this promo.

I saw a user post about it in a comment somewhere, and then also noticed a note on GameMaker's site that mentioned Steam keys for Pro would be provided approx 7 days after purchase.  I am pretty confident it will work that way.