Jump to content

Major Overhaul of Zombie Speed Sandbox Settings


Recommended Posts

In sandbox mode under zombie lore, zombie speed can either be "Sprinters", "Fast Shamblers", "Shamblers" and "Random". This provides 4 possible playthroughs, one with all sprinters, all fast shamblers, all shamblers or a mix of all of them. I propose that the "Random" setting is removed and instead all the remaining options have percentages that the user can set ranging from 0 to 100%. This will allow for some unique playthroughs, for example a playthrough with 1% sprinters, 9% fast shamblers and 90% shamblers.


Perhaps this could be taken a step further by adding more speed options. The user could specify the exact speed and chance a zombie has to spawn. For example, a playthrough with 3x speed zombies have a 2% chance to spawn, 1.5x speed zombies have a 3% chance to spawn, shamblers have a 95% chance to spawn. If there are limitations to the game engine by adding zombies that are too fast to handle then add a hard coded speed limit.


Having the option to spawn zombies that move 3x slower than "Shambler" speed would also provide for some really unique playthroughs.


I realize that converting each option to percentage values may not be enough as everything should add up to 100% in the end. So for example lets say zombie speed chances for shambers are at 50% and sprinters are at 50%. You change sprinter chance to 75%, shambler chance should be automatically changed to 25%.


Note that all the sandbox settings could be overhauled to allow users to specify chance percentages ranging from 0 to 100%. Settings such as zombie sight, hearing, memory, car spawn rate, player rear vulnerability, ammo loot rarity to name a few.

Edited by valkyrienyanko
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Definitely agree this should be part of the standard sandbox options. 


In the mean time, however, there is a mod called Random Zombies that does basically exactly what you're saying.  It's great, and I never play without it now.  


I also use another mod, Random Rally Settings, that causes random fluctuation in how the zombies group up and move together.  These two mods together inject a nice level of unpredictability.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...