'Delay processing packet of type 12, 56, 78, 25' When trying to MP

FieryZambie

Hey!

The thing about AVG was that when I disabled 'Resident Shield' thinking it would suffice as "turning off my antivirus", it didn't actually fix the problem.

I had to physically disable AVG entirely or uninstall it before I noticed the difference.

I've never used MSE so I couldn't say for sure but could it be that simply disabling your real time protection isn't enough?

Is there a way for you to manually enter an "exception" to MSE's block list just in case it is blocking PZ?

Other things to try:

• What happens when you try to reconnect to the server without dying? (Connect, run around for a few secs, disconnect then reconnect).
  • Have enough ports been forwarded by your host to support the players trying to connect?
  • Try logging into the server using a new Username, then attempt a disconnect and reconnect.
  • Make sure there are no save files from a previous build ("-onlinetest" for example) that could be interfering, Look in the old Multiplayer directory: User>Zomboid>Sandbox and see if there are any other save files with IP addresses.
  • Try another server or if you have the knowledge, forward your own ports to see if the issue follows you or if it's isolated to the one server.

If I can think of any more I'll let you know. :)

So, this is what we had to do to get it to work. 

I deleted my file for his server

and he did the same for my character on his server. 

I think what is happening is that when a character dies the server isn't properly removing connection data so when you try to reconnect with a new character is wigs out. I was still getting the delay message but after letting it sit for about 40 seconds or so I was able to connect. 

*edit: For those looking for a fix you can figure out what file/folder is for each character by having the player attempt to log in the server will assign him/her to a specific port and the file is named after that port.

Sadly, this seems to be a persistent issue. I logged off the server earlier today and just tried again and got the same error. Something with my computer/client/network and his server software/computer/network is creating...issues. I am the only person out of the 4 playing on this server that is having this issue. 

Sadly he is not at home at the moment being in the army and working long hours and such. When he get's back I'm going to try to run some diagnostics on both our ends to see if we can pin down exactly what is causing this issue. Thankfully we have a networking major playing on our server so he should be able to help troubleshoot. 

Again, it almost seems like there is a....string (I don't know the technical term) that isn't being handled properly on his end in the player temp file

....hmmm, I just noticed that I have a "tempClientZip16263" in my user/zomboid folder. Does anyone happen to know were the character info is stored? Is that the folder or is it in the sandbox. I'm loathe to delete my character. I was on a resource run when I had to log off to take care of kids and I would hate to loose all the stuff I nabbed.

Ps. the  "tempClientZip16263" file is what we deleted on both ends to allow me to reconnect but this was done in between characters so I don't know if it had an affect on the character status.

Edit: what I can do is MOVE the file instead of deleting it. If the pathing is directory specific that should accomplish the same thing. 

Edit2: Moved the file and let the client attempt to connect for nearly 10 minutes. Again I got the message that my connection was accepted but I recieve two delay packet messages. The fact that this happens indicates either that the client is able to find the file I moved or that the problem is on the server end and that problem has something to do with that file on the server end. 

The tempClientZip file is sent from the server.  It contains parts of the map, but no player information.

After it is downloaded and the map chunks are unzipped from it, the file isn't used until the next download.

The player information is saved in map_p.bin in the save directory.

Ok, final verdict and I feel kinda silly. Apparently the server host hadn't opened port 16262 He had 16261 and 16263-65. His logic was that it opened when he connected internally to the server. Which worked, but only when he was online. Apparently I was the only player that attempted to log in after he logged out. Some people were online during his absences but they had logged before he left. 

So, make sure ALL the ports are open. heh.....

This is what I get for trying to troubleshoot problems without being able to see everything. Now I know how IT people feel. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Just an FYI - my wife had the delay packet problem.  AVG was the culprit.  Originally I had shut AVG off, but that wasn't sufficient.  I literally had to uninstall it from her computer.  After that, she's had no issues.

• 1 month later...

For the life of me I can't figure this out either... All I want is to play some multiplayer, but I can't even get into my own server when others have no issue logging in. I know our fabulous dev's and/or community will hatch it eventually and until then I am waiting with baited breath.

For the life of me I can't figure this out either... All I want is to play some multiplayer, but I can't even get into my own server when others have no issue logging in. I know our fabulous dev's and/or community will hatch it eventually and until then I am waiting with baited breath.

Are you logging on with localhost as the server name?

I have had success with both the root IP and localhost, however the issue for me seems to be, I can join once flawlessly with both my multiplayer and server folders from the user/zomboid folder empty but afterwards I cannot rejoin the same server, be it my own or another :( I get to loading the map and it just hangs on the packet delays and failure to download the zip.

So on Enigma's note of deleting files that just appear after connection, I deleted everything from my (Username/Zomboid/Multiplayer) folder and joined my own server successfully. Then I quit, shut the server .bat off and deleted the "Servertest" folder that pops up in the (Username/Zomboid/Multiplayer) but left the character named one alone and I can now FINALLY rejoin my own/other servers as my old character!

Maybe this will help others with the issue of packet delay/zip timeout. I hope so! Best of luck!

Big thanks to EnigmaGrey for getting my meagre brain churning ;)

Everytime I'm joining a Server and the problem is on MY END, i get an unlimited loop of delay process package. 

#1. Make sure you're NOT using weird characters on your username

#2. Try making a new character to see if you have a CORRUPTED Save

#3. Make sure you've read the SERVER SPECIFICATIONS:
Sometimes the server will have extra maps, patches, or hotfixes. If you dont have them you will not be able to match server compatibility. 

Either one of those will solve the problem, I'm quite sure of it.