The Safety System

RobertJohnson

With the exception of autoaiming firearms, it is ridiculliously easy to survive hostile players. I've been chased a few times by someone with a golfclub, but I can shake them off laughingly easy everytime.

To be honest using the safety system to counter shoot on sight isn't making the game better. Preventing to hurt neutral or friendly player is. I'll be running with safety off most of the time.

The game must offer some kind of incentative not to kill other players. You certainly have no use of other players (except being friendly, yawn), so you might as well neutralize them as they are a potential threat. If the players could havefer you something you wouldn't be able to achieve without teaming up with them, you'll probably consider ther value before attacking them.

Let's see if it works well when the character creation is reimplemented, so people with different perks would be a possibility.

Speaking of perks this could implement a couple new ones. For example Quick Draw - Reduced time to turn off your safety. Butter Fingers - Increased time to turn off your safety.

Lets say you define :

SafetyCooldownTimer = 300;

Every hit add 300, every kill add 300 * 3 or something ?

+1 THAT MUST TO BE DONE!

well when I walk around with it on and you have it off I will shoot you, and you will die. but if you had it on we could have a moment of friendly conversation or bare minimum a friendly, respectful pass by without guns blazing.

so what you said earlier in this thread which im sure everyone already read may be the way things will work for "you" but heres to hoping not all people think like you.

if I have safety on I can still merc people who have safety off. you understand that part of this function right?

Well in that case, contrary to what you may think, you're the violent part of us ;)

Lets say you are watching TV, before zombies, you see the news " Today Kodi Morgan was arrested after killing 20 people in his neighborhood " then I go to jail and the world keep going, but one day.. ~!!! holy S**t ZOMBIES! world goes to hell, I escape/got released, then one day you see me in the street, will you leave me alive? Im pretty sure even a non-violent person will shoot me on sight

I mentioned it before in this thread. Safety system only helps the victims of other players false intentions. They do not prevent kill on sight.

I'll have my safety system switched off 95% of the time. If I go out with some buddies to clear an area of zeds I would switch it on. I can't think of other reasons.

That's only useful if you are willing and able to kill other players the instant you see them. If not, all you're doing is broadcasting "I'm a threat, watch out for me" to any player who can see you. That gives them time to see you coming and defend themselves or flee.

I think it's much more of an advantage to use the Safety system to get close to people and get them to relax around you, work together for a while to earn their trust - then wait for a good moment to slip out of their sight long enough to ready your axe.

what if I get in someone base with safety on. the people that own the base wouldn't be able to kill me so i could just loot them and get away.

You can loot an entire base in less than 3 seconds? Because thats how long it will take for someone in that base to turn off their safety and shoot you dead. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Ugh, never been a fan of PvP flags or indicators or switches or icons, etc. They feel wrong to me and it just presents another mechanic that the player has to think about and fiddle with during gameplay. I'll withhold final judgement until I actually get to try it out and the fact that server admins can override it may make it a moot point anyway as I'm sure "No Safety!" servers will exist for people that prefer fewer buttons to press during tense encounters with other people.  :)

I like the idea.

However I'm having issues with the vision in my mind, 3 players standing in a narrow hallway, each blazing thier guns... Through each other?? Without getting hurt????

I think it will ruin the soul of the game if you can just spray and pray without considering your aim.

And what about explosions and fire (when/if they are added as weaponry)?

My suggestion:

Make safty on valid for melee weapons only.

Once you pull your gun up, the skull comes right up along it (safety off), as you are now obviously showing "ill intent".

Friendly fire with firearms doesn't belong in a hardcore survival game such as this.

Other than that. I really like the idea and I strongly believe it will help in the process of curing the mental patients out there  :P

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say that I'm really not a fan of this safety system.

I had a long detailed post typed out, but it sounded too negative. I'll try to keep it more constructive.

Safety should mean you are safe. The current system is more like, "everyone is friendly until they stab you in the back", which just doesn't make sense. It should be the other way around, if preserving danger is the intent. As in, "anyone can stab you in the back, except those that are friendly".

I'd prefer a faction system instead, where everyone is hostile by default unless you both agree to team up, and everyone else should still be hostile. There should be a far greater warning time before a friendly player can become hostile, while still being vulnerable. Or at least have a setting for it. One second isn't nearly enough for you to roleplay/discuss anything via typing. I'd assume that's intentional. I'd argue that it defeats the purpose of a safety system.