Tripping When Walking Backwards

Bullet_Magnate

Slowly backing up while swinging away at zeds is pretty much a universal tactic in PZ.  Seems like there should be *some* risk, though -- however slight -- that as your character is backing up, he / she will stumble, and possibly fall.  The character would be distracted / afraid / swaying back and forth due to the fight, which would make a stumble more likely.  Maybe the Lightfooted skill could reduce the chance, while other things could aggravate it (e.g., the Clumsy trait, or a panic moodle).  

This would actually help compensate for the unfair advantage the character receives from the player's "bird's eye view" -- for example, there's never a risk that the character, while fighting in an unfamiliar environment, will back over a folding chair he forgot was behind him (since the player can see all previously-seen environmental obstacles, regardless of field of view).  

I like the idea, it would increase the risk and stress of fighting massively and thus increase the immersion.

On the other hand it would be extremly frustrating to stumble backward, fall and get eaten all the time because your nimble skill is low at the beginning.

Edited by getstoopid

42 minutes ago, getstoopid said:

it would be extremly frustrating to stumble backward, fall and get eaten all the time because your nimble skill is low at the beginning.

Yup, that's why I'm thinking the chance would be *very* low, even early on, with higher applicable skills and advantageous traits making it near-impossible ...

I suppose in real-life, you'd have to glance over your shoulder every now and then?  You'd lose a bit of speed, letting the zombies close in on you a little bit and your swing would take a little bit longer as you re-orient yourself.

There's a already a risk to walking backwards which is that a zombie can come up right behind you and chomp down. 

Plus when you walk backwards you're slower. Can't zip away from zombies if you're constantly facing them and backing up. 

Basically there's already enough risk as it is.

16 hours ago, Laker said:

I suppose in real-life, you'd have to glance over your shoulder every now and then?  You'd lose a bit of speed, letting the zombies close in on you a little bit and your swing would take a little bit longer as you re-orient yourself.

Problem is, there is no "glance over your shoulder" - to do this you basically spin around every now and then

11 hours ago, getstoopid said:

Problem is, there is no "glance over your shoulder" - to do this you basically spin around every now and then

I think you're right.  I tried it out briefly at home - looking over my shoulder vs turning around.  I think it's quicker by doing what most people in-game do already - turn from the zombies, run to gain distance from the horde and turn to face them again.  

Nimble is one of the most essential skills.  Doesn't get enough love.

On 9/21/2022 at 6:30 PM, Nowthere27 said:

There's a already a risk to walking backwards which is that a zombie can come up right behind you and chomp down. 

Plus when you walk backwards you're slower. Can't zip away from zombies if you're constantly facing them and backing up. 

Basically there's already enough risk as it is.

I hear you, but that risk is already easily mitigated by either (1) checking out the area before initiating combat, or (2) doing a quick 360 turn periodically.  And, in most cases, the reduced speed backing up doesn't appreciably increase the risk, especially if you periodically break contact and withdraw.

I don't necessarily disagree with you -- but maybe the factors you point out indicate that this should be available as a sandbox option rather than part of the vanilla game.