Minor PASSIVE increase for 1) Mechanic Skill while driving, and 2) for First Aid while healing from injuries or sickness.

bliss

We all know the burden of leveling the mechanic skill when the only thing you can do is remove/install headlights and battery/radio. There is absolutely no purpose in doing so except for the grind. Maybe it could be addressed if players could passively get mechanic skill simply by driving. Nothing exaggerated that would take the grind away, but something that would symbolize how drivers learn about their cars just by driving them.

Same could apply for First Aid skill. Realistically, we should be able to level first aid by training on a doll or ourselves. However, it would be too abusable and grindy, so instead, we could simply get a pump by having a passive increase while we are healing injuries and sickness, symbolizing how people learn to treat theirselves better when they are battling an infection or staying safe due to an injury.

Sure, Zomboid is a simulator, but I can list a huge number of things that were adapted for gameplay purposes. Out of the bat, we have: no physiological needs, a recipe to learn how to operate generators, towing cars out of thin air, books curing depression, and many other things.

Edited by bliss

Just find books, tools and 5-10 low - medium condition cars (save the 70%+condition parts) that's guaranteed level 6 maintance in a 1 game week, find those VHD for mehanic skill with those two brothers who repair cars, use it for levle 9-10 with 16x xpe multiplier. It's literally level 10 mehanics in under 15 days.
Most zombie games have a way with first aid/zombie however dull it is, but in PZ right now it might as well not even exist (don't even think about that skill) it does barely anything woth noticing + 1 bite = ded/rip/goner

Now for this passive leveling, It's thumbs down from me, I see what you mean but It's a far-fetched idea. I mean if I read a good book, odds are it would have entertained me, but if I just walked on Earth I don't think I would become an astronaut. People who drive a vehicle aren't familiar wih mehanics because they are simply in it driving it around, it's because at some time the certain part broke and they had to replace it, having no clue how they went to educate themselvs or ask someone who knew or just gave it to some who knows how to replace it and never learned how.
In a nutshell you passive leveling is basically getting to know how this and that works without ever doing it which is kinda :I ... yeah