Durability of pickled food does not exactly behaves as explained in the PZ wiki

razab

PZ wiki states that pickled food lasts 90 days including 60 days fresh. This is actually not true. What is true is that it lasts 90 days but the time it stays fresh depends on how long the actual food item stays fresh relative to it's overall durability.

Here is an example: Cabbage stays fresh for 2 days and spoils after 4 meaning it stays fresh for 50% percent of it's overall durability. This percentage is also carried over when it is pickled: It stays fresh for 45 days and spoils after 90. What is confusing here is that, say after 46 days, the jar has still the attribute "Fresh" but when you open it, the cabbage is not fresh anymore but stale.

The reason why this is not correctly described in the wiki is probably that the script entries for the jars (like "Jar of Cabbage")  say "DaysFresh = 60" and "DaysTotallyRotten = 90". However, the DaysFresh-entry has actually no effect in case of jarred food.

To verify what I wrote, simply play in debug mode, make jars of food and edit their age in the debug menu.

• razab changed the title to Durability of pickled food does not exactly behaves as explained in the PZ wiki
On 9/9/2022 at 11:52 AM, Pandorea said:

An overhaul of the entire preserving system is planned for one of future builds so nothing will be done with this atm. (Also, Wiki is out of date on many accounts)

Thanks for the reply! Already heard some rumors about an overhaul of the food preservation system and I am happy to hear that this might come some day in future! Post was not meant as a bug report though. My intention was just reporting some "curiosity" here.

Archived