Ultimate General - Gettysburg

TheCenturion

Just in case you weren't aware of this awesomesauce, now you are. UG is looking to 'revolutionise' the strategy gaming front, and, well, just lookit them screenies. 

Gettysburg%20(16).jpg?format=1000w

Gettysburg%20(8).jpg?format=1000w

For a strategy gaming fan, especially one with historical interest, this thing looks incredible. A nice blend between colourful, inviting graphics and more detailed simulation of Civil War battles. A welcome break from the repetitious grind that has become of Total War.

They recently went for green light on Steam, and I was going to hunt for votes, but they were lit just this morning. So now you just get to gape at the awesomeness that is Ultimate General.

Oh yeah, and it's being developed by Darth, the guy behind the DarthMod series from Total War. :D

I was never a fan of Darth's kitchen sink approach to modding. That said, is the game's approach simulationist (say, Close Combat style modeling of individual soldiers' states and everything) or more gamey (Total War level of detail)?

From what I've seen and heard on their forums, I think it's taking a dual approach. I admit that the only Darth mod I enjoy playing is the Empire one, since it's the most comprehensive and game-fixing. It gives it a whole new gameplay style that feels more fluid than vanilla. 

The problem with Total War is that it focuses way too much nowadays on the individual soldier, with their resources spent on flashy animations and textures. I think UG is meant to focus more specifically on the larger battle as a whole, with formations and terrain playing a much bigger role. TW is quite small scale if you think about it, considering what it actually depicts. 

The colours are somewhat cartoony, yes, but I'm sick and tired of high resolution grit games. Rome II did it for me. A common misconception with today's games is that we have super powered hardware, so let's take advantage of all of it. In poly counts. And textures. But that's not the case; I prefer looking at colourful games like Rome I and Shogun II over Rome II, for example. The colourful style of UG seems actually quite refreshing.

Overall though, I'm not sure either TW or UG really depict that high detailed simulation. Go play HistWar's demo, and you'll see what I mean. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

its a revolutionary remake of sid meiers gettysburg? :P

6158-9-sid-meier-s-gettysburg-.jpg

To be honest, I've never played Sid Mier's civil war games... shame on me. Blame my age and all that. But from what I've seen it looks to combine both TW and Sid's mechanics... the overall battle combined with formations and tactics. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just as a heads up, this has just passed in to Steam Early Access yesterday for £5.99, with absolutely no fanfare or advertisement.

Which is a crying shame, because I picked it up earlier today and I'm having a blast with it. Menu needs a bit of polish but the game is relatively bug free, and the AI is pretty damn sneaky for a wargame. You'd expect no less from Darth, but looks like he's nailed it here even at this early stage.

• 3 weeks later...

Yup, sorry to bring up this thread again (lock it if you want ;) ), but after working with Darth and his team as a tester, I can say that he's extremely passionate about this project. The AI will also give you a hiding if you're not prepared for it. Do give it a look if you like strategy games!