General Steam Deck issues

Melonses

hey, just a few issues I've run into while running completely vanilla PZ on the default build on an also pretty much vanilla Steam Deck, no settings changed apart from outlines:

- crashes when changing music volume in audio settings 100% of the time 

- audio doesn't work about half of the time when launching, has to be relaunched

- sometimes it looks like there's a random strobe effect, random elements/the general screen will flash

The linux audio situation for this game is a joke at the moment, the steam deck uses pipewire as its audio server and lacks the pulseaudio binary, and the way the game checks which audio server to use is very naive, it's done by just running pulseaudio --check and of course that doesn't return 0 because the binary doesn't exist so it defaults back to using ALSA instead of pulseaudio, even though using pulseaudio would work fine since pipewire-pulse is installed,

I reported this here many months ago but no fix

Edited by Fillet

I'd assume it has to be system config related or we'd have it with every Steamdeck including our own units. Something like changing the order of sound devices could break it.

I don't see any call for pulseaudio --check in our codebase. We just use FMOD. I don't think it's for us to change, as even their forums seem to indicate the workaround is exactly what you did, Fillet

I know that FMOD is responsible but when reporting this bug upstream a paying customer I imagine would carry 100x more weight than just some rando, especially considering there are already mentions of this issue on their forums.

11 hours ago, Fillet said:

I know that FMOD is responsible but when reporting this bug upstream a paying customer I imagine would carry 100x more weight than just some rando, especially considering there are already mentions of this issue on their forums.

It’s inappropriate to try and bully us into fixing a problem when you know it’s not within our ability to solve. It does not seem to be in any way a common source of problems among SteamDeck zomboid players. You also found a pretty basic workaround already.

I’m not even sure your comments are related to op’s issues here.

16 hours ago, Melonses said:

hey, just a few issues I've run into while running completely vanilla PZ on the default build on an also pretty much vanilla Steam Deck, no settings changed apart from outlines:

- crashes when changing music volume in audio settings 100% of the time 

- audio doesn't work about half of the time when launching, has to be relaunched

- sometimes it looks like there's a random strobe effect, random elements/the general screen will flash

Any specific changes done to the deck? Since you said its pretty much vanilla, did you install anything extra on it or are you using the default SteamOS with the default-ish settings?
Additionally, can you test this in both Proton and Native mode to check if it happens in both?