Vehicles storage(trunk)

marauderim

Our vehicles trunk looses storage capacity just by driving around. While i understand the reason for this for game balance, i really dislike it, you can pick a 50 years old car and it will carry exactly the same stuff it allways did unless its falling appart from rust. So after some thought i got to this idea that i think its simple to do and keeps the same effect in the end while feeling more realistic. 

We can use engine condition to affect weight capacity. As an example, from 100% to 75% our vehicle will allways carry the max weight of our trunk capacity, from 75% to 50% our vehicle will loose some % equal to the % lower than 75%, an engine with 70% condition will carry 5% less weight, and below 50% it gets worst, it doubles the penalty, an engine with 40% condition, gets 25% penalty from the first penalty from 75% to 50% plus the double penalty below 50%(10% x 2), so at 40% engine condition my trunk will carry (25%+10%x2) 45% less weight. This could be applied to all vehicle storages, this % penalty could be applied to trunk, seats, glovebox, after all our engine has to move the whole vehicle.

I hope i could explain my idea well enough and thanks for reading.

i may be wrong, but i am almost sure i had runs whitout hiting a single zed and when i arrived my destination i had less storage, ofc a car deteriorates over time, more or less depending in what its done with it, but trunk storage being affected by anything other than a direct crash in the trunk zone is not very lore friendly for me, and as i said in my post, i understand the need to balance the game, just dont like how its done

5 hours ago, Pandorea said:

Vehicle trunks lose their capacity as result of driving over multiple zeds in a short period of time or crashing a lot. This was done to counter cheesing of killing many zombies while safely in a car. 

Uh huh, I get the high velocity crashes with other solid object would bend and utterly destroy your trunk video game or not, but for 1-5 organic zombies with no solid foundation standing on two feet barely keeping balance to walk as reanimated corpses can stop your 1 tone car in place, not fall and still bend your trunk as if you hit an fing concere pole. No sertiouslly you could just scrape a single zombie with your van at higher-ish seeds with you sides and it could lower you trunk by 5 storage units, in some fing way beyond our understanding.
Have any devs considered how little this makes sense? It's as if zombies started cheesing the game by exploting the universal laws of physics to screw the player over, while we as the players get the middle finger from the same universe, this feature needs a rework asap, also ladders they exist for more then 10000 years, also why do I have to use my neighbours socks/skirt/t-shirt/pants to make the most unstable, riskiest thing ever called sheet rope, when you already have the sturdy more efficent itme called rope in the game.
Not trying to be rude I'm just trying to make a serious conversation and also see how deep the rabbit hole goes, what and way are these features so inefficent, unrealisting, strange, lacking...

20 minutes ago, Irken Empire said:

Uh huh, I get the high velocity crashes with other solid object would bend and utterly destroy your trunk video game or not, but for 1-5 organic zombies with no solid foundation standing on two feet barely keeping balance to walk as reanimated corpses can stop your 1 tone car in place, not fall and still bend your trunk as if you hit an fing concere pole. No sertiouslly you could just scrape a single zombie with your van at higher-ish seeds with you sides and it could lower you trunk by 5 storage units, in some fing way beyond our understanding.
Have any devs considered how little this makes sense? It's as if zombies started cheesing the game by exploting the universal laws of physics to screw the player over, while we as the players get the middle finger from the same universe, this feature needs a rework asap, also ladders they exist for more then 10000 years, also why do I have to use my neighbours socks/skirt/t-shirt/pants to make the most unstable, riskiest thing ever called sheet rope, when you already have the sturdy more efficent itme called rope in the game.
Not trying to be rude I'm just trying to make a serious conversation and also see how deep the rabbit hole goes, what and way are these features so inefficent, unrealisting, strange, lacking...

What's beyond understanding? Video games are simplified models of highly complex interactions. They'll always have conceits such as randomly applying damage to the vehicle vs. simulating every part that collides with a zombie and having a realistic damage model based on their physical characteristics. Games also attempt to balance things for the sake of gameplay (such as punishing players for wanton running over of groups of zombies).

Thus there is always a game of tug of war between "realistic enough" and "it's a game."

2 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

What's beyond understanding? Video games are simplified models of highly complex interactions. They'll always have conceits such as randomly applying damage to the vehicle vs. simulating every part that collides with a zombie and having a realistic damage model based on their physical characteristics. Games also attempt to balance things for the sake of gameplay (such as punishing players for wanton running over of groups of zombies).

Thus there is always a game of tug of war between "realistic enough" and "it's a game."

i agree, its a delicate balance, but the way my car looses trunk capacity by run over a zed is just wrong, the car already suffers damage to a point it cant move why affect storage? there is situations that makes sense, if we start killing zeds driving backways(yes this was the first thing i did when i got my hands on a car lol just like destruction derby) it will  affect the trunk, but only in that situation and only when it gets so damaged that probably its wasted, but thats ok, like i said i understand the need for balance, i will just force my mind to pretend its not the trunk im repairing because i hit a zombied head front ;)

22 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

I took an hour to write a detailed explanation of how this logic of yours is poorly integrated with the game of Project Zomboid, with this "Video games are simplified models of highly complex interactions" being used more as an excuse to bend and interact with this "tug of war" where devs take a feature, say it's a game and modify it to screw and punish the  player for a little mistake real hard, life getting a scratch of the foot, no biggie in real life but it makes you temporarely disabled in PZ, then ther's a single zombie slaping his way throug a fridge and a an idustrial metal garbage bin in an hour which is beyond the tug of war thing (just doesn't make sene.). Now you have the ladders model, the actual sturdy ropse, but you have to resort to making SHEET rope out of socks and what not. I'm sorry you don't get the better detailed version, but clicking on steam and back to the forums in 7 sec deleted everything I worte so I apologise again, in a nutshell I tried to explain how most features lean towards the "it's a game" to punish you hard even thoug it make little sense and some are half-assed made with little care or idea.