Can't launch Project Zomboid

Decadenced.jr

Question

Hello. When I try to start the game in the сasual way, the button in the steam turns blue, the download starts near the cursor, and then everything stops and the game does not even try to start. Previously, the alternative launch mode helped me, but on the current version I get this error (below in the question). Tried a lot, but nothing helps. The game starts via bat only on the beta version of Legacy 40. Please help me

Q:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\ProjectZomboid>SET _JAVA_OPTIONS=

Q:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\ProjectZomboid>SET PZ_CLASSPATH=commons-compress-1.18.jar;istack-commons-runtime.jar;jassimp.jar;javacord-2.0.17-shaded.jar;javax.activation-api.jar;jaxb-api.jar;jaxb-runtime.jar;lwjgl.jar;lwjgl-natives-windows.jar;lwjgl-glfw.jar;lwjgl-glfw-natives-windows.jar;lwjgl-jemalloc.jar;lwjgl-jemalloc-natives-windows.jar;lwjgl-opengl.jar;lwjgl-opengl-natives-windows.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;sqlite-jdbc-3.27.2.1.jar;trove-3.0.3.jar;uncommons-maths-1.2.3.jar;./

Q:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\ProjectZomboid>".\jre64\bin\javaw.exe" -Djava.awt.headless=true -Dzomboid.steam=1 -Dzomboid.znetlog=1 -XX:-CreateCoredumpOnCrash -XX:-OmitStackTraceInFastThrow -XX:+UseZGC -Xmx3072m -Djava.library.path=./win64/;./ -cp commons-compress-1.18.jar;istack-commons-runtime.jar;jassimp.jar;javacord-2.0.17-shaded.jar;javax.activation-api.jar;jaxb-api.jar;jaxb-runtime.jar;lwjgl.jar;lwjgl-natives-windows.jar;lwjgl-glfw.jar;lwjgl-glfw-natives-windows.jar;lwjgl-jemalloc.jar;lwjgl-jemalloc-natives-windows.jar;lwjgl-opengl.jar;lwjgl-opengl-natives-windows.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;sqlite-jdbc-3.27.2.1.jar;trove-3.0.3.jar;uncommons-maths-1.2.3.jar;./ zombie.gameStates.MainScreenState -admin

Q:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\ProjectZomboid>IF -1073741819 NEQ 0 (".\jre64\bin\javaw.exe" -Djava.awt.headless=true -Dzomboid.steam=1 -Dzomboid.znetlog=1 -XX:-CreateCoredumpOnCrash -XX:-OmitStackTraceInFastThrow -Xmx3072m -Djava.library.path=./win64/;./ -cp commons-compress-1.18.jar;istack-commons-runtime.jar;jassimp.jar;javacord-2.0.17-shaded.jar;javax.activation-api.jar;jaxb-api.jar;jaxb-runtime.jar;lwjgl.jar;lwjgl-natives-windows.jar;lwjgl-glfw.jar;lwjgl-glfw-natives-windows.jar;lwjgl-jemalloc.jar;lwjgl-jemalloc-natives-windows.jar;lwjgl-opengl.jar;lwjgl-opengl-natives-windows.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;sqlite-jdbc-3.27.2.1.jar;trove-3.0.3.jar;uncommons-maths-1.2.3.jar;./ zombie.gameStates.MainScreenState -admin  )

Q:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\ProjectZomboid>PAUSE

console.txt

24 answers to this question

Do you have a gamecube controller or some other USB device with a rumble function?

https://forums.stardewvalley.net/threads/bug-report-steam-v1-5-6-ezfrd64-dll-file-prevents-launch.10607/

I've never seen that dll before, but that seems to be the cause of the crash.

I suspect just deleting the dll (EZFRD64) would probably be enough, but it'd be better to uninstall the controller software properly.

Same thing here: https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-dolphin-dev-builds-past-5-0-3977-crash-on-startup-with-my-controller-plugged-in?page=2

On 9/7/2022 at 12:48 AM, EnigmaGrey said:

9 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Do you have a gamecube controller or some other USB device with a rumble function?

https://forums.stardewvalley.net/threads/bug-report-steam-v1-5-6-ezfrd64-dll-file-prevents-launch.10607/

I've never seen that dll before, but that seems to be the cause of the crash.

I suspect just deleting the dll (EZFRD64) would probably be enough, but it'd be better to uninstall the controller software properly.

Same thing here: https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-dolphin-dev-builds-past-5-0-3977-crash-on-startup-with-my-controller-plugged-in?page=2

Deleting this file helped me! For the first time in 40 hours, I managed to launch the game even through an exe file. Thank you so much to everyone involved in solving this problem and thank you all for not giving up on me after so many tries! Now I can play again and I also know more about possible problems thanks to all these recommendations. Thank you again from me and from my bride, with whom we can now play together!

This is very unusual since it just stops loading the game outright, does the console get stuck at loading or does it close itself and crash?
Additionally, can you share the latest “hs_err_pid” file found in your main game folder “Steam\steamapps\common\ProjectZomboid”?
If the standard logs don't show anything as in this case then these logs might be more helpful since they get created if the game crashes.

2 hours ago, Beard said:

This is very unusual since it just stops loading the game outright, does the console get stuck at loading or does it close itself and crash?
Additionally, can you share the latest “hs_err_pid” file found in your main game folder “Steam\steamapps\common\ProjectZomboid”?
If the standard logs don't show anything as in this case then these logs might be more helpful since they get created if the game crashes.

Consloe just stops with "Pause" status, no crashes. Here is my "  hs_err" files

hs_err_pid24332.log hs_err_pid8992.log

It might also be an issue with Steam, since it closes around the time Steam should be loading together with the game.

Can you try using the -nosteam parameter as you did with the -nosound? Since it doesnt seem to be sound related, using -nosteam only is enough.

1 hour ago, Beard said:

It might also be an issue with Steam, since it closes around the time Steam should be loading together with the game.

Can you try using the -nosteam parameter as you did with the -nosound? Since it doesnt seem to be sound related, using -nosteam only is enough.

Still doesn't work. What our next step? : ( Which Logs do you need from me?

console 64bat (-nosteam -nosound).txt console 32bat. (-nosteam -nosound).txt hs_err_pid17404.log hs_err_pid15480.log

Could you go to %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Steam\steamapps\common\ProjectZomboid and try running the ProjectZomboid64.bat directly?

It's the one with blue and white gears (not the red and black egg).

The hs_err_pids are all from the 32-bit version of the game, so don't show us what's breaking.

1 hour ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Could you go to %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Steam\steamapps\common\ProjectZomboid and try running the ProjectZomboid64.bat directly?

It's the one with blue and white gears (not the red and black egg).

The hs_err_pids are all from the 32-bit version of the game, so don't show us what's breaking.

Oh, it turns out that i tried to launch bat directly all this time. Now i tried to launch game and through Steam and directly, but nothing of it helped me (with or without -nosteam/-nosound). Is that what you want me to try?

Снимок.JPG

Unfortunately since running the 64.bat file or the .exe doesn't give us any error logs then it is fairly difficult to figure out what causes the issue, can you try running the game through the OpenGL Debug file and see if there will be more info when launching it through it?

image.png

39 minutes ago, Beard said:

Unfortunately since running the 64.bat file or the .exe doesn't give us any error logs then it is fairly difficult to figure out what causes the issue, can you try running the game through the OpenGL Debug file and see if there will be more info when launching it through it?

image.png

Did I make your recommendation correctly?

debug32bat.txt

debug64bat.txt

2 hours ago, Decadenced.jr said:

Okay, it's going further than it was earlier. You made it past the Steam check, sound check, and now it's hanging on getting the graphics info on the 64-bit bat.

Could you try installing the latest nVidia driver for Windows 10 64-bit here? https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/192967/en-us/ Restart the computer after installing it. 

9 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Okay, it's going further than it was earlier. You made it past the Steam check, sound check, and now it's hanging on getting the graphics info on the 64-bit bat.

Could you try installing the latest nVidia driver for Windows 10 64-bit here? https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/192967/en-us/ Restart the computer after installing it. 

What if i already have latest version? And I tried launch game with two previous versions too.

1 hour ago, Beard said:

Try going to your Steam Library > Right click Project Zomboid > Properties > Set Launch Options > Type -novoip > Start the game
If that does not help, can you try typing -nosound instead? This is to check if it is a sound related issue.

Unfortunately, none of this worked for me. launching through the exe file does not have any effect at all, and through bat 32 it does not start with such logs.

console (-novoip + admin).txt console (-nosound + admin).txt

Based on the logs you were running the 32 bit version right? It eventually ran out of RAM as expected. Though there were no errors in the game itself which seems to indicate that everything is good there.

Can you make sure to update your Windows to the latest version through Windows update? Since the game requires one of the later versions to function correctly.
After that, can you try running the game with the ProjectZomboid64.bat file?

11 hours ago, Beard said:

Try reinstalling the driver with this version, you might even need to uninstall it, restart and then install. Since it seems to fail at loading the graphics card.

I did exactly what you advised me, but it still doesn't work, Is there anything that could help me? Don't wanna wait for new version for opportunity to play.

That is a very unusual issue in that case, since we have no errors to go on.

Can you check your reliability monitor to see if there are any errors once the game fails to launch there? You can find it by the application name:

https://www.howtogeek.com/school/using-windows-admin-tools-like-a-pro/lesson3/

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/sk-sk/000178177/how-to-use-windows-reliability-monitor-to-identify-software-issues

11 hours ago, Beard said:

Try going to your Steam Library > Right click Project Zomboid > Properties > Set Launch Options > Type -novoip > Start the game
If that does not help, can you try typing -nosound instead? This is to check if it is a sound related issue.

I updated windows and tried to run the game through 64bat. That's what i've got.

console PZ64bat (-nosound + admin).txt console PZ64bat (-novoip + admin).txt

1 hour ago, Beard said:

That is a very unusual issue in that case, since we have no errors to go on.

Can you check your reliability monitor to see if there are any errors once the game fails to launch there? You can find it by the application name:

https://www.howtogeek.com/school/using-windows-admin-tools-like-a-pro/lesson3/

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/sk-sk/000178177/how-to-use-windows-reliability-monitor-to-identify-software-issues

Is that it? BTW, when i tried to launch bat32 sometime i've seen "Zulu platform x32 architecture don't respond". With 64bat i didn't see any of it.

2.JPG

Снимок.JPG

Archived