Loot discussion

EpilepticCrocodile

First, forgive my bad english

Second, I know it might be too early to bring this discussion, but sharing our points of view can't hurt.

Third, I am totally against a loot respawning system, and I will give my thoughts on it

Why? Because there has been a lot of talking in public servers, many people get pissed off when they join too late and "There is no loot left"

Respawning loot would kill the charm of the game and the endgame itself. What would be the point on farming when you can camp houses and wait for food to magically reapear? Why would you care about saving ammo when you can allways get more? There wouldn't even make sense to storage items. Players would roam around and camp crucial locations and behave more aggressively like in other similar games. It would make every item less valuable, even the rare ones, since you can find it again eventually.

BUT

I know its unfair for some players. And thats why most servers are getting daily resets, and that the people that join after a restart have a big advantage, but respawning loot is not the solution. Killing a big aspect of the game to make it more fair (or less rough) its just not worth it.

Maybe supply drops with essentials appearing once in a while could bring more balance. Also some starting gear for players that join too late. There are other ways

Supply-drops have been suggested many times over the last few days, and I believe it will be the best solution when real military-type npcs are in. Otherwise, when players spawn elsewhere on the map than just the baldspot house, and when the map is even larger, the problem won't be as bad. Also, with other options than just looting (hunting/trapping/farming), it will be even less of an issue. Of course, joining a server should never be easy, after-all, the game is about death during the zombie apocalypse. One of the keys to survival will be banding together to make a self-sufficient colony. The lone-survivors will always carry the highest risk.

Supply-drops have been suggested many times over the last few days, and I believe it will be the best solution when real military-type npcs are in. Otherwise, when players spawn elsewhere on the map than just the baldspot house, and when the map is even larger, the problem won't be as bad. Also, with other options than just looting (hunting/trapping/farming), it will be even less of an issue. Of course, joining a server should never be easy, after-all, the game is about death during the zombie apocalypse. One of the keys to survival will be banding together to make a self-sufficient colony. The lone-survivors will always carry the highest risk.

When the military NPCs get added, it would be a good compromise. For example (assuming the soldiers get killed somehow, by zombies or players) it would be a good way to fairly bring in extra supplies, like a convoy of supplies driving through town, randomly spawned, with food and things. More supplies to loot if you're lucky and work for it, and you wouldn't rely on it if they spawned randomly and rarely enough; same with care packages dropped to supply the survivors, or whatever the Devs will want to add later. And like AngryMob says, the problem won't get so bad once the map has grown some more, and plays spawn in different areas, and you can hunt for food and craft your own supplies. It's just a matter a waiting, like all Alphas

Either way random supply drops or loot respawning this game needs more loot on multiplayer... i had tons of supplies but ran out looking for more thank god sum1 was building a farm/safehouse but even that is not good cuz not every1 will be able to get the supplies in time needed even if they know what they need if everything is gone. I feel this is the biggest issues by far so far for the future of Project Zomboid Multiplayer. This could make or break the number of people who play multiplayer instead of keep playing single player. I feel most would agree single player is really fun but you will get board at some point and want player interactions from multiplayer. Thanks for starting this thread so i didnt have to... Wish that more people out of the so many  playing it would chime in and leave their openions about not enough loot on the map for limited number of players in a single server. This community rocks so far!!! (clyde)

Suggestions have gone out regarding the resupply of loot. Hopefully in time , devs will decide on how to move forward. But lets not wait for a military type 'npc'. cause, nps,ya all know that there is no ETA on it. Could be months before it happens, could be weeks. What we need is something for the next release of the multiplayer update. Again, this is a testing stage of the multiplayer and having resupply random houses and stuff will be a good experiment to see how it affects the overall gameplay.

We need to try X and test, test and more tests to see how it helps or breaks the game.. We won't know till we try! I ain't saying we resupply it like its a fresh house,

resupply as in 3-4 random items per house or so. Minor amounts as it the town won't be 'dry' anymore.

Here's to hope! Let's see how it goes next update, I just hope they have random spawn locations next update, to me , it is one of the most critical components that needs looking at before the next release.

I would rather have resupply drops than respawning loot. Once NPC's get enabled they could periodically spawn and you can go after their food,  in either their zombified or human state. 

That being said, I hope and expect the game to have several serversettings for this kind of stuff, regardless how they choose to solve it, since respawning loot is probably only an issue for big public servers,  and only when the endgame gets expanded greatly, since there is not enough to do now to do now to even exhaust a tiny fraction of the food on the map. 

Personally, public servers for PZ don;t really appeal to me,  I plan to play with a dozen or so friends at max, and I;m not planning to enable any respawning loot,  so i sincerely hope they put in settings for this. 

But again, any long term games will only be fun for me once they add in more stuff to do and enable zombie repopulation and migration. 

• 3 weeks later...

I don’t know if this has been brought up yet, but I’d like to see the zombies bring in the new loot, instead of respawn or supply drops.

My idea, would only start after a couple of days (or weeks?) have gone by, maybe make 1 in every 100 migrating zombies carry a back pack with some loot in it. This way it’s random and nobody really knows where it will be next.

it would only hold some items that are essential for stating up, but not necessarily useful to players who are already established in the map.

Supply drops from whom?

The idea of zombies having loot (albeit I agree it should be rare) makes more sense. Loot should be somewhat dependant on your location. Some zombies should have categories (police, construction worker, chef, etc) and drop loot applicable to what they are.

We're supposed to die in the game, we're not supposed to get a "second chance" and be hand-held. What's gone is gone and when hunting and more survival elements are implemented it should make it a little easier to survive. I personally love the rarity of finding stuff, it's true survival which is what it should be IMO. Anything else would completely ruin what PZ strives to be: a true zombie survival game/experience. 

There's numerous other features, such as hunting, that could balance this out. I don't want something like, as suggested before, a "shop" instead of trading. My opinions, but please none of this. :(