Need a little help with finding my IP

Mdschlotman

Hello all, hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

Been trying to get my PZ server running for a few of my buddies. Problem is, when I make the server only people on my LAN at my house can join. Also, we are using the local IP address, as opposed to the IP that I'd get from findmyip.com or what not.

What am I doing wrong? We can all play locally, but I have friends all over that want to join in.

You probably have a router that denies incoming traffic on the port PZ uses. In this case you'll have to open this port and direct traffic to local IP of the computer running the server. Also many routers denies traffic back looping, meaning you can't connect to your external IP from within the LAN. The process of this is called NAT and is usually done on via opening the routers LAN ip on a specific admin port in a browser.

Well I typed my local IP address 192.168....etc in the "DMZ Hosts Address" in the picture I posted above. Should this allow people to connect to my external IP address and it will forward them to my local IP where I host the server? Thus allowing people OUTSIDE of my LAN to connect?

Networking stuff like this is difficult for me to grasp. Sorry if I seem dense.

Making the server system DMZ should work, but is not advisable however. This will make your server extremely vulnerable.

You need the option port triggering from the screenshot you posted. That is where you can setup the server to work externally. You basicly tell the router whenever it recieves an external package on the Project Zomboid port to forward the package to the server on your internal network. 

If you can post a screenshot of the Port Triggering options I should be able to help you out. Both the first menu you get plus the options when you try to add a new rule to the port triggering.

Ok here's the pic. I have been confused about port triggering vs. virtual server options. Virtual server allows me to type in an IP address, where as the triggering does not.

First Pic is Port Triggering Menu:
h5OkacD.jpg?1

Second pic: Virtual Server Menu

gYrIJc4.jpg?2

Also I kept the drop down menus dropped down. Which is the best option there?

Thank you so much for your help/

Try this.

User interface: ADSL/atm0

choose Custom service: insert a name, zomboidserver or whatever

Server IP Address: use the ip number the server has in your local network, something like 192.168.xxx.xxx

External Port Start: 16261

External Port Stop: 16269 (!!This number depends on how many players you want to support, it's the sum of the first number 16261 + number of players you want to support!!)

Protocol: TCP (if there's an option available for both TCP/UDP use that!)

Internal Port Start: 16261

Internal Port Stop: 16269 (!!Same as External Port Stop!!)

If the protocol option doesn't have a TCP/UDP option you need to use a second row. Use the exact same values but choose UDP as the protocol.

Choose save and your done. Hope that helps!