Question on Private Server Setup, Username/Passwords, and Character Loss

RedDogMT

I have been running a dedicated server for myself and some friends for the past few months.

Last night a friend and I went to play last night and he was unable to log in, receiving a message that the username/password could not be found. We found this post on the Steam forum that seamed to suggest that we could reset his character password and not loose his character, but he had to create a new character anyway. Not sure if this was the wrong way to go or if something went wrong.

Although the server is public, we only use it with friends. I am not concerned with security beyond having a server password. I am wondering what settings I could be using to make things easier so that we don't have to worry about character loss. Is there some way I can use the whitelist to make things easier? Does character corruption sometimes happen (since PZ is easly access)?

We are having a blast and really love the game, but loosing a character to a password problem after 60 hours of play is kind of a downer.

Appreciate any advice.

• 2 weeks later...