Rotatable Camera

Nowthere27

On 8/28/2022 at 10:57 PM, Nowthere27 said:

I think It'd be nice to be able to rotate the player view camera 360 degrees in the game as well as view it from different angles.

It'd help you see those hidden loot behind objects and maybe make it easier to seem the zombies. 

devs already claimed that they won't introduce it to game

Edited by MrTrololo

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder ... would it be possible to rotate view if you limited the rotation to 90 degree increments (so the map remains 2d, viewed from the same overall angle)? 

Seems like that would definitely be easier than smooth 3d rotation (which would presumably require an entirely new engine).  

Not sure ...   

On 9/22/2022 at 9:36 AM, getstoopid said:

It would need 3d models anyway or do I misunderstand something? Or you'd have to have 4 sprites for every item so they all can be switched on the fly... that would surely be expensive in terms of resources. 

I don't *think* so ... I think pretty much everything in the game has models showing the object as viewed from at least four angles. 

So, for example, if there was a refrigerator in view and you were looking straight at the front of it, switching view by 90 degrees would have you looking at it from the side; and rotating another 90 degrees would have you looking at the back of it.  I'm not envisioning smooth rotation; more of a quick "fade out and fade back in" looking at the scene from another direction.  

You may be right that it would still be resource intensive (flipping everything in view by 90 degrees), but it at least seems more feasible than 3d modeling the entire world.    

EDIT:  Added some quick diagrams below to roughly illustrate what the 90 degree incremental rotation I'm talking about would look like.  

Slide1.JPG.a24c4848a8304d1e78df8934b5f9291e.JPG

Slide2.JPG

Slide3.JPG

Slide4.JPG

Edited by Bullet_Magnate