Nan Calories

Tilarium

I'm using the Minimal Display Bars mod which is awesome because it lets you have a quick look at how your stats are and where you need to focus. I've noticed something in my recent play through though. For the first week or so, food was pretty tough to come by and so I didn't eat much and now when I hover over the calories bar the ratio is shown as "nan" and the real value displays as "nan calories".

so... ummm... am I in trouble? My character has a small supply of food right now, enough where she can eat throughout the day without running into much trouble and has a pallet of MREs as backup! But the last few days she's been eating regularly but it's still showing the nan for calories. Just wondering if I need to have her just sit at home and gorge every time she can. Any food ideas that are insanely overloaded with calories that she can eat?

10 minutes ago, Hugo Qwerty said:

I've never used that mad, but if it helps NaN is typically short for "Not a Number".

Fish have the most calories in my experience.

That helps a lot!  I was racking my brain trying to figure out the nan bit and thought it was broken.  Going by the Not a Number bit, I'm going to guess that maybe her calorie value is just so low that it doesn't show up anymore!  Luckily, in her expeditions into Muldraugh, she cleared out enough to finally be able to make it to the bookstore and found the fishing guide that teaches how to make the fishing rod.

7 hours ago, Tilarium said:

so... ummm... am I in trouble? My character has a small supply of food right now, enough where she can eat throughout the day without running into much trouble and has a pallet of MREs as backup! But the last few days she's been eating regularly but it's still showing the nan for calories. Just wondering if I need to have her just sit at home and gorge every time she can. Any food ideas that are insanely overloaded with calories that she can eat?

Take food high in calories like lard, butter past, rice and dried kidneys with beans dried ckinken with peas or whiskey all of these individualy give more than 1500+ calories well 2000+ only whiskey has 1500 everytin, lard has 3250 calories, eat some of those and you'll be good

Just keeping grinding to find it.  Sometimes your map just has a scarcity of an item.  I have found one salt on my map, and I've been on it a long time.  

Cook your food if you are able.  An easy recipe is to fill a large pot with water.  Your choices will be either soup or stew. 

Have as much of your food around you so the game knows these food items are available for the recipe.

See what food items can be put into the soup or stew.  

Cook it.  

Cooked food will reduce boredom and unhappiness,  Although adding more than 3 of the same items starts to negate that affect.

At higher skill levels, you will be able to use stale/rotten food items in recipes without increasing your characters negative moodles.  

I don't like cooking so I just live off of cabbage.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to update.  It's been almost 2 months since the nan calories thing.  She's got plenty of food from MREs to canned food and occasionally fishing and trapping and she's not moved past nan calories or gained weight.  Going to give it until after the winter ends and see what happens.

Not a number means not a number. It doesn't mean negative. It means not a number. 

A mod has most likely broken your save. You may wish to remove all mods and see what happens when some are put back on, one by one. Or, keep playing with a broken save, since it doesn't sound like it's affecting anything other than your character calories. 

My guess is your character is no longer affected by hunger. Either that, or the NaN is coming from the display mod and it is unable to interpret the numeral. Either way, NaN is unacceptable and definitely indicates a consistently bugged or glitched save. 

Hmm.  I’ve been assuming the value dropped to low for it to count.  It switched from a count to the nan in the middle of a play session so it wasn’t a mode that messed it up.  Maybe an action or something that happened during the game.

13 hours ago, Tilarium said:

Hmm.  I’ve been assuming the value dropped to low for it to count.  It switched from a count to the nan in the middle of a play session so it wasn’t a mode that messed it up.  Maybe an action or something that happened during the game.

Did you mean to say "wasn't a 'mod' that messed it up"? Do you use any trait mods, like Dynamic Traits, which has been reported broken on these forums numerous times?

My best guess is still that a mod has permanently affected the calories variable on your save. If you were able to edit your character stats (perhaps through the use of a different mod), then you might be able to reset the variable to an appropriate value. That isn't going to stop the problem from occurring in the future. 

Sounds like the problem is not very severe. If anything, being unaffected by calories is a good thing. Cabbage is now suddenly a very viable option, since I am also betting the weight will never change, similar to what you reported (not gaining weight). Almost a non-issue. Can probably keep the save and still enjoy modded gameplay, all things considered. 

Archived