Goodbye Humble Bundle

Cdr.Keen

The store prices aren't dictated by the Guys from Humble Bundle. Just as the prices of the Steam Store aren't made up by Steam/Valve.

yes, thats true - but it worked so far without euro as currency. now the new system is in and they immediate abuse it to squeeze the european customers. what do they try to tell us with such a behave?

currency was created to have a fair base to pay. for example, 1 chicken egg will have the same price all over the world - no one will pay more or less for it (i know that this isn't true, but i think you'll get the idea behind it). so the manufacturer of a product will calculate its costs. after all, he says it's worth 15$ - with these 15$ we'll get all the cost we have and also a profit. so 15$ is enough for the manufacturer to stay save, pay wages, buy materials and sell products.

So the whole world will pay the 15$, because it's enough for the manufacturer - instead of europeans. they have to pay 20$ because idk.

The store prices aren't dictated by the Guys from Humble Bundle. Just as the prices of the Steam Store aren't made up by Steam/Valve.

yes, thats true - but it worked so far without euro as currency. now the new system is in and they immediate abuse it to squeeze the european customers. what do they try to tell us with such a behave?

currency was created to have a fair base to pay. for example, 1 chicken egg will have the same price all over the world - no one will pay more or less for it (i know that this isn't true, but i think you'll get the idea behind it). so the manufacturer of a product will calculate its costs. after all, he says it's worth 15$ - with these 15$ we'll get all the cost we have and also a profit. so 15$ is enough for the manufacturer to stay save, pay wages, buy materials and sell products.

So the whole world will pay the 15$, because it's enough for the manufacturer - instead of europeans. they have to pay 20$ because idk.

I'm pretty sure it's because of European VAT actually. The Unity store has the same thing. It's cheaper in USD but due to the differing sales tax between countries and high VAT rates causes it to be more expensive here. The problems of the euro I guess.

Edit: So it's not Humble Bundles fault, it's just they have to abide by the tax laws if they want to use the Euro as a currency on the their store. Which means higher prices. Sucks I know. Shake your fist at the government I guess. :P

yes, i don't get the reason for doing this yet.

they say it's because of VAT and similar stuff, but i did not understand why they have to pay VAT for it. there is nothing physical crossing any border - no product, no money, nothing. for e.g. the usa, the service belong to the country, all the wages belong the the country, all taxes and so on. even the product will belong to it, because most modern TOS grant you the right to play the game, but not to own it.

so there is only a transfer of digital bytes, and i pay for the traffic to my isp. i also pay for exchanging euro to dollar. after all, i payed all my country based taxes before - and they don't have to care about what i'm doing with the money i saved on the top.

they say, "hey cool new feature for our european fans - pay in euro now!" but the only "cool new feature" is the fact, that they are able to make more profit. and pumping more money in an economy for a product is some kind of an inflation.

they don't have to do this - for e.g. banished has a fair price. 19.99$ from the developer page, 18.99€ steam and 14.99€ at humble bundle. the humble deal is fair, because they only "cleared" the price from 14.55€ up to 14.99€.

Humble Bundle is a business just like any other - freebees simply don't work in real life. They have websites to host, server costs, need to hire artists and on top of that they offer their freaking bundles which cost almost nothing :D

I don't understand why it is such a big deal that now we have to pay the same prices as on steam - I'd rather give it to Humble Bundle and donate to charity than paying the same amount to Valve.

Humble Bundle is a business just like any other - freebees simply don't work in real life. They have websites to host, server costs, need to hire artists and on top of that they offer their freaking bundles which cost almost nothing :D

I don't understand why it is such a big deal that now we have to pay the same prices as on steam - I'd rather give it to Humble Bundle and donate to charity than paying the same amount to Valve.

of course they have to pay stuff, but the pricing difference goes to the publishers. if they clearly say the 5€ addition for e.g. starbound is for charity - very nice! but it's for nothing - they say, just pay 5€ more than the rest of the world because we like you.

it's like a joke:

an asian, an american and an european are sitting in a plane and are buying games from humble bundle. asian and american are paying the same price - and the european asks them why he has to pay 1/3 more? the american and the asian shrug and lough.

also gog will add regional prices too - http://www.gog.com/forum/general/announcement_big_preorders_launch_day_releases_coming

from gog:

"That brings with it more good news, though! As mentioned, we have three games we're launching soon with regional pricing"

yeah, more good news! :mellow:

of course they have to pay stuff, but the pricing difference goes to the publishers. if they clearly say the 5€ addition for e.g. starbound is for charity - very nice! but it's for nothing - they say, just pay 5€ more than the rest of the world because we like you.

it's like a joke:

an asian, an american and an european are sitting in a plane and are buying games from humble bundle. asian and american are paying the same price - and the european asks them why he has to pay 1/3 more? the american and the asian shrug and lough.

also gog will add regional prices too - http://www.gog.com/forum/general/announcement_big_preorders_launch_day_releases_coming

from gog:

"That brings with it more good news, though! As mentioned, we have three games we're launching soon with regional pricing"

yeah, more good news! :mellow:

Then some other passenger turns to the European and says "Because your publisher doesn't understand currency, or somehow feels having one appear lower in a purely numerical sense will be poor marketing."

it's like a joke:

What you don't seem to understand is that it's up to the publisher/dev, not Humble Bundle.

This has nothing to do with VAT or paying the Humble Bundle staff.

They offer publishers/devs to either provide a MSRP for a region/currency or use - what they call - "Humble Pricing". The latter would be what you're looking for.

As long as they give publishers/devs the option, publishers/devs will use what makes them more money, unless they're broskis.

Humble Bundle wants to provide a store. They could say "if they don't want to support our pricing system, we're not going to sell their products", but I doubt that's what they want to do. They want to build a store presence, instead. More partners, more money.

[...]

As long as they give publishers/devs the option, publishers/devs will use what makes them more money, unless they're broskis.

Humble Bundle wants to provide a store. They could say "if they don't want to support our pricing system, we're not going to sell their products", but I doubt that's what they want to do. They want to build a store presence, instead. More partners, more money.

yes, i can underline this.

hb store is responsible for this step - they chose to bring this "feature" in. maybe "the market/partners" forced them to do this, but in my opinion this wasn't a good choise. the fair pricing and also the charity option was a really good advantage for hb, and they decided to take it out. now they are "equal -10%" to steam, origin, uplay and so on. for me, hb losts its "spark", and this is what makes me upset.

after all, i don't have to charge my international account with dollar anymore, because i'm able to pay with my local bank account at steam.

anyway, we can't force it back - so thank you for your patience mates :)

Try buying ANY form of digitally distributed product in Australia. Or any retail copy of a game, for that matter.

A new release AAA game in the US costs about $60. The same game costs over $100 in Australia. Which is retarded as fuck given the strong exchange rate. Even when the US dollar was in the toilet, we were still getting ripped off.

Apparently pushing photons though undersea fibre makes the product a lot more expensive </rant>

Try buying ANY form of digitally distributed product in Australia. Or any retail copy of a game, for that matter.

A new release AAA game in the US costs about $60. The same game costs over $100 in Australia. Which is retarded as fuck given the strong exchange rate. Even when the US dollar was in the toilet, we were still getting ripped off.

Apparently pushing photons though undersea fibre makes the product a lot more expensive </rant>

Oh god, yeah. The aussies are pretty much fucked re: pricing.

Even "proper" internet costs a fortune (last time I checked).