educational vhs tapes

alphagamer1981

it seems that things like carpentry and cooking gets a huge library of vhs tapes that you can level up fast with, but there are hardly any for metalworking, tailoring and electronics except for personal vhs tapes rarely found. Also the simons fitness tapes, why are these not even educational? Its a nightmare trying to raise your fitness and strength without using xp and modded books surely, simon should be able to help with the xp

Edited by alphagamer1981

3 hours ago, getstoopid said:

Because strength and fitness are physical attributes and "knowing" about it by watching others doing it doesn't help you much ;)

Yep but still it shuld give better knowledge about warming up to fill up faster that bar when we exercise. It dont need modyficator to str/fit but exercising take some Time earlier in game specialy if ur a hardcore with 0fit and 1 str bulid.

Yes it takes time.. because exercising takes time. You want to have a sixpack and go to the gym? This takes several months if you plan on going at least 3 times a week. If you want to run a "brain-no-brawn" guy it should be very hard... otherwise obese + unfit were just freebie points.

It'd be cool if the exercise videos taught you a new exercise or maybe a different technique. Lifting dumb bells for example. New player lifts in an inexperienced way, prone to injury but gets better over time. Watch a series of exercise videos and player improvement rate gets slightly quicker, less prone to injury.

Even if it taught a recipe for a healthy drink or meal, could tie in with the new liquid container stuff going on. "Hi, I'm Buff Barry and I always start the day with my big buff breakfast smoothie" or something.

• 2 weeks later...

Another option is to exercise while watching the video.  Remember all the areobics shows that were on TV in the 90's?  Not sure how it would be implemented but this was a big thing back in the day. 

So put on a video and do a set of exercises at the same time while watching the tv.  Make sure to be dressed lightly, take off the shoes and get a multiplier for the session or something. Repeat as needed with different vids. Maybe add some hydration requirement?

Need to do some recovery afterward, but it might be a good way to bootstrap the character through a level or two of fitness or strength.

It might be interesting if the unfit character gets exhaused before the video is over so they only get partial benefit.  Then as their fitness increases, they can make it further and further through the session, getting a bit more benefit each time until the whole video (and benefit) has been acheived. This would spread it out a bit with recovery sessions and life etc.  It would also encourage use of the exercise tools.

Edited by CannedRat

4 hours ago, getstoopid said:

Why would watching a (in fact terrible... funny) 90s fitness vhs increase the effect of your training?

U can learn how to do proper trening what to eat, how to recover after. Its only information but still more helpfull than nothing.

Yeah as I said earlier I agree with the knowledge-part like better recovery after training (less pain and exhaustion) but though I see your point in "guided training being more effective" it bears the risk turning all those negative traits into freebie points or just render those expensive positive traits useless.

What is the purpose of the Simon tapes?  Do they do nothing whatsoever?  I used them, nothing happened.  Figured I did something wrong and just ignored them.   The better recovery  part does make sense.

I was suggesting a mechanic that was similar to the ones that already exist (survival vids or woodcraft vids etc that give you xp for watching them) 

For skills such as trapping and woodcraft the VHS tapes provide a mechanism that encourages the character to "find" a VHS tape, get electricity, get a TV capable of playing it, find a safe place to play it and then they automaticlaly "get" XP for a skill.  This simulates (roughly) an injection of knowledge about the skill that avoids the character having to "grind" to "learn/practice" the skill.

My suggestion was for a similar mechanic for the fitness /strength skills that would be roughly equivilent to the other VHS's for skills so it used a similar system and the players would not have to figure out a whole new mechanic.  As has been pointed out, the "Simon" vhs's only tell the player how to find the exercise tool and use it. (Which is a bit immersion breaking) and violates the players assumption that playing the VHS would give them an XP/skills boost passively.   My suggestion was for a lore/time appropriate mechanism that provided some backstory for the XP boost to fitness or strenght without being too immersion breaking. 

As the existing VHS code/mechanism already detects if the character is in proximity to the VHS/TV when it plays, it seems like it would be viable to detect if the character is "doing exercise" using the exercise tools while watching the video/TV and award XP based on how long they are able to sustain the set of burpees or pushups.  If the video gave verbal + text prompts to open the exercise tools and use them, it would acheive both same aim as the simon videos, while also being a plausible lore friendly way to deliver the XP boost that we all want from a fitness video.  If it was also repeatable, then the player would be motivated to get in front of the TV every night to get their XP boost.  Which as there is a tapering of the XP requiremtns for each level of fitness/strength would make this a valuable activity but not be OP.  Recovery time is already built in with exersion/hunger/tired etc.  So there are limits to how often the player could grind the videos... but grinders will grind. 

Just trying to solve the question of "How can watching a video make you fitter?" without trashing immersion. 

Hope I have explained myself a little better. 

Edited by CannedRat

• 1 year later...
On 8/26/2022 at 6:20 AM, CannedRat said:

Another option is to exercise while watching the video.  Remember all the areobics shows that were on TV in the 90's?  Not sure how it would be implemented but this was a big thing back in the day. 

So put on a video and do a set of exercises at the same time while watching the tv.  Make sure to be dressed lightly, take off the shoes and get a multiplier for the session or something. Repeat as needed with different vids. Maybe add some hydration requirement?

Need to do some recovery afterward, but it might be a good way to bootstrap the character through a level or two of fitness or strength.

It might be interesting if the unfit character gets exhaused before the video is over so they only get partial benefit.  Then as their fitness increases, they can make it further and further through the session, getting a bit more benefit each time until the whole video (and benefit) has been acheived. I had an mba assignment in which we researched the market for video training courses and developed a marketing strategy to attract clients. That time I used https://essays.edubirdie.com/mba-assignment-help and their analysis showed that the use of video, especially interactive video, is a good motivation for involving a person in the learning process. This would spread it out a bit with recovery sessions and life etc. It would also encourage use of the exercise tools.

Not just shows in the 90s. When I was working out with dumbbells at home, I watched youtube educational videos on how to do the exercises correctly, technique, etc., so it's pretty realistic.

I saw a mod where you can get an XP multiplier after watching.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2710407461

Edited by Goyarkbro