How does the Population Multiplier work?

Spadas

I don’t get it my current population settings are 

1.5x Start

1.5x Multiplier 

1.6x Peak

But the game feels like Insane population the world is filled with zeds.

What must done to have like 1.5x or 2.0x peak population?

What is the difference between Multiplier and Peak?

Does the Multiplier multiplying the Peak population in my case 1.5x1.6 = 2.4x peak?

I also have a question.
If I set up a world without spawn zombies, then I will have the starting value of zombies, even if I set the peak value more than the starting value

1.0x Start

1.2x Multiplier 

1.5x Peak

It's pretty much exactly what it says on the tin; they are numbers that will multiply the amount of zombies spawned. The population multiplier alters the total amount of zombies that spawn, but it is important to remember that it is meant to be a modifier over the actual base setting of zombies at the "population" tab. It will multiply from THAT baseline (i.e. if you put that one on very high and leave the multiplier at 1.0, you will still get a lot of zombies). Also, I have noticed  that if you slide it all the way down to zero, but don't set zombie population to "none", then you still get some zombies (specially inside buildings, where I think the spawn mechanics don't quite work the same way as in the open map).

Start multiplier will further multiply the result from "Base Population Setting x Population Multiplier" at the starting days of the game, generally it is better to leave it at 1.0 if you don't want some extreme amount of zombies that setting the base multiplier to 4x won't suffice to achieve.

Peak multiplier will further multiply population settings after the world reaches the peak day. It can be used to make the number of zombies that spawn in the world either increase or decrease over time.

10 hours ago, Spadas said:

But the game feels like Insane population the world is filled with zeds.

I don't know which population density you are aiming for, but personally I think the default spawn settings do feel very much like "horde mode". If you want a more realistic experience you should lower the base multiplier to something between 0.1 and 0.5 and leave the start multiplier at 1.0 and the population setting at 'normal'. But if what you want is simply the "normal density" +50%, then you probably should look at the population tab and make sure that it is set to "normal" and leave the start multiplier at 1.0.

1 hour ago, vek said:

I also have a question.
If I set up a world without spawn zombies, then I will have the starting value of zombies, even if I set the peak value more than the starting value

1.0x Start

1.2x Multiplier 

1.5x Peak

I'm pretty sure that if you set it to "none", then no zombies will spawn no matter the settings in the advanced tab. 1 x 0 = 0.

23 minutes ago, Ridick said:

I'm pretty sure that if you set it to "none", then no zombies will spawn no matter the settings in the advanced tab. 1 x 0 = 0.

I think so too, but then why is there another option on the advanced tab to add zombies every day, which is 0.1 by default?

How are these 0.1 related to the:

1.0x Start

1.2x Multiplier 

1.5x Peak

???

Let's assume that everything is clear with the starting population. The more I put, the more zombies in the world loaded in the first minute of the game.
With the peak population, it is also clear, this is the maximum zombie in the world compared to the starting level.
If there were 40,000 zombies in the world at the start, then the maximum will be 60,000 if the multiplier is 1.5.
But what does the multiplier between them mean?
And how is it related to the multiplier on the "advanced" tab?

22 minutes ago, vek said:

I think so too, but then why is there another option on the advanced tab to add zombies every day, which is 0.1 by default?

Unless they added something new with 41.73, then I don't remember there being such an option. What the 'peak day' settings does is define how long (in days) it takes until the the day where the peak multiplier takes full effect.

25 minutes ago, vek said:

But what does the multiplier between them mean?

That is the base multiplier. Start and peak multiplier will multiply on top of this initial multiplier. The formula for day one is ( Population Setting x Population Multiplier x Population Start Multiplier ) whereas the one for peak day is ( Population Setting x Population Multiplier x Population Peak Multiplier ).

Archived