absurd mechanics

Tyson14

after surviving for 20 days i lit a campfire for the first time in the game i wanted to take a picture and i walked near the campfire and got burned and died what a stupid death after surviving so long i think the developers should reconsider some mechanics unrealistic that the game has

Yeah fire kinda of kills you instantly, it's a bit silly really. I figured it out the hard way myself when I tried tried to put out a fire using a cooking pan full of water and as my character auto-pathed towards the fire she stepped in the flame and instantly conflagrated in like 2 seconds. xD

Lighting a fire or being near one is like playing Russian Roulette.    I avoid them like the plague.  Only remember surviving once - the First Aid points for healing the burns were pretty good though.  

17 hours ago, Irken Empire said:

Me: Listening to PZ players aguing on how unrealist it is to set yourself on fire when stainding on an open flame in flammable clothing.
Simon Cowell GIFs | TenorSimon Cowell GIFs | TenorSimon Cowell GIFs | TenorSimon Cowell GIFs | Tenor

The way it is almost always an irremediable instakill it's a downer though. Read up on self-immolation, in most of those cases the person will douse themselves in gasoline and burn for a couple of minutes until passerbys put out the fire and then they survive for many days until they die of infections (if the burns were extensive enough). In most cases, when people die right away in a fire the real cause of death is smoke inhalation rather than the flames themselves, unless it's some California-style megafire that burns at truly ridiculous temperatures and scales and just incinerates you instantly. A small accidental fire is very much a survivable event in the real world.

4 hours ago, Ridick said:

The way it is almost always an irremediable instakill it's a downer though. Read up on self-immolation, in most of those cases the person will douse themselves in gasoline and burn for a couple of minutes until passerbys put out the fire and then they survive for many days until they die of infections (if the burns were extensive enough). In most cases, when people die right away in a fire the real cause of death is smoke inhalation rather than the flames themselves, unless it's some California-style megafire that burns at truly ridiculous temperatures and scales and just incinerates you instantly. A small accidental fire is very much a survivable event in the real world.

Just take a bottle of water and right click on the flame, you'll get the "extinguish" option as you can see down below in this picture the same has been done, all fires in this 4x4 tile radius will be extiguished including fires on yourself. All it takes is just a bottle of water, carry 3 bottles when lighting a campfire or when preforming a controlled burn of zombie hordes but I wish we could roll on the ground and not just poof into flames to our enternal sleep if we don't have water on us, also naked characters shouldn't be flamable, you'd get burned on the body but not get engufled in flames naked, makes no sense.
I get what people are talking about, but I'm more angry that they haven't added ladders which exist for more than 10.000 years and instead we have to make unreliable recently nerfed sheet ropes that can break any second (realisticlly speaking) tough 2-3 zombie can still destroy them,, it's just stupid.
image.jpeg.d5c0ba2c1bdf0d5431cdc3879385299a.jpeg

Yes you can extinguish the fire but first you have to be fast enough because you burn to crisp with ridiculous speed if you happen to be on fire because you lit a campfire?! This is just plain dumb - noone would light up themselves by lighting a campfire unless they had used some fire accelerator, but even then they'd never burst into flames and die in seconds because if that were so, burning at the stake wouldn't have been such a gruesome death.

And sure ladders would be neat. I actually use a mod for this, looks stupid as hell as it uses the rope-climbing animation but at least it makes ladders useable.

12 hours ago, Irken Empire said:

Just take a bottle of water and right click on the flame, you'll get the "extinguish" option as you can see down below in this picture the same has been done, all fires in this 4x4 tile radius will be extiguished including fires on yourself

That's exactly what I was doing in the example I mentioned above where I tried to extinguished a fire (that was burning over asphalt a hundred blocks away from the place I forgot to turn off the oven in) with a cooking pan full of water and when my character walked towards the fire she not only didn't manage to extinguish it, but instantly caught fire herself and died before I could even react in any way. I honestly don't think you understand or have experienced how ridiculous fire can be in this game sometimes, there are many other topics where people are saying the same thing and even the devs themselves agree with that and said that it's not as realistic as they would want it to be.

18 minutes ago, Ridick said:

That's exactly what I was doing in the example I mentioned above where I tried to extinguished a fire (that was burning over asphalt a hundred blocks away from the place I forgot to turn off the oven in) with a cooking pan full of water and when my character walked towards the fire she not only didn't manage to extinguish it, but instantly caught fire herself and died before I could even react in any way. I honestly don't think you understand or have experienced how ridiculous fire can be in this game sometimes, there are many other topics where people are saying the same thing and even the devs themselves agree with that and said that it's not as realistic as they would want it to be.

Happend once in six months later, it was b39 vehicles IWBUMS, I tried to burn off mega hordes with controlled flames, I accidentally walked over one of the flames from a dead zombie, it lit me on fire instantly and I died in around 10 real life seconds, I had a katana too, I know exactly what this is all about.

21 minutes ago, Irken Empire said:

Happend once in six months later, it was b39 vehicles IWBUMS, I tried to burn off mega hordes with controlled flames, I accidentally walked over one of the flames from a dead zombie, it lit me on fire instantly and I died in around 10 real life seconds, I had a katana too, I know exactly what this is all about.

RIP

18 minutes ago, Irken Empire said:

it lit me on fire instantly and I died in around 10 real life seconds

That's been my experience, seemed about 10 seconds.  So, really it is enough time to douse oneself.  Others report a lot quicker death so something might need looked at in the game.

It is the ease of catching oneself on fire that could be addressed. It sounds funny but if it was real-world, summer-time news would be nothing but reports of people dying by lighting campfires.

"43 people died locally today when they attempted to light a campfire.  Another 18 burned to death when they walked near a campfire.  5 people died by simply looking at a campfire.  We have further reports of another burn death when the person simply thought about lighting a fire."

I use campfires all the time in game, never burned myself to death before.  In my early days of PZing I'd get lit up but never died from it and lately I've not once got caught in it.  Not sure how you guys are managing to do it. 

15 hours ago, Laker said:

It is the ease of catching oneself on fire that could be addressed. It sounds funny but if it was real-world, summer-time news would be nothing but reports of people dying by lighting campfires.

The fact that you can catch yourself on fire naked and burn all the way through until you're dead speaks for itself, though fire can burn brick walls in PZ soooooo who knows
Shoulder Shrug GIFs | Tenor

12 hours ago, Tilarium said:

I use campfires all the time in game, never burned myself to death before.  In my early days of PZing I'd get lit up but never died from it and lately I've not once got caught in it.  Not sure how you guys are managing to do it. 

Remember that most new and fresh players are fresh and new players to Project Zomboid so they could likely accidentally walk over a campfire not knowing the dire consequences of stepping on an amber for 0.000001 second. List time it happend to me was in b39 as I said but Imagine if it happend again accidentally on my 7yr old run, who's gonna feed my npc's both human and animal huh?

Archived