Buying & Running a Linux Project Zomboid Server

Connall

If you outline some of the errors or problems you are encountering I could try and run support and see what I can do to help, but I'm going to need some info. :)

Yeah but whit an only 48 hour trial which has already run out.

Don't you come far. And buying it for a full month and then hoping i get it working is a bit to much.

Don't like to throw money away :D xD

If you outline some of the errors or problems you are encountering I could try and run support and see what I can do to help, but I'm going to need some info. :)

Yeah but whit an only 48 hour trial which has already run out.

Don't you come far. And buying it for a full month and then hoping i get it working is a bit to much.

Don't like to throw money away :D xD

Fair enough, I can understand that.

Hey Gang,

Trying to get our PZ dedicated up... It's a linux box running CentOS and Redhat.  This has been challenging, lol.

I am too the point where I can run  ./projectzomboid-dedi-server.sh but then get the following error.

./projectzomboid-dedi-server.sh
Loading RakNet from: /home/steam/steamcmd/home/oldfarts/steam/zomboid*/projectzomboid
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /home/steam/steamcmd/home/oldfarts/steam/zomboid*/projectzomboid/libRakNet64.so: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.15' not found (required by /home/steam/steamcmd/home/oldfarts/steam/zomboid*/projectzomboid/libRakNet64.so)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.java:1778)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1703)
        at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Runtime.java:844)
        at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(System.java:1051)
        at zombie.core.raknet.RakNetPeerInterface.init(RakNetPeerInterface.java:19)
        at zombie.network.GameServer.main(GameServer.java:79)

My host tells me that we have glibc_2.12 and that is the highest version for CentOS and an upgrade to 2.15 could cause issues with my server (cpanel etc...). This server is also used for hosting websites so not sure what to do now!!!!  I was sooo close, lol.

Guide Updated: Removed WinSCP and replaced it with FileZilla, as WinSCP was slow, clunky and less desirable than FileZilla.

Hey Gang,

Trying to get our PZ dedicated up... It's a linux box running CentOS and Redhat.  This has been challenging, lol.

I am too the point where I can run  ./projectzomboid-dedi-server.sh but then get the following error.

Loading RakNet from: /home/steam/steamcmd/home/oldfarts/steam/zomboid*/projectzomboid
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /home/steam/steamcmd/home/oldfarts/steam/zomboid*/projectzomboid/libRakNet64.so: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.15' not found (required by /home/steam/steamcmd/home/oldfarts/steam/zomboid*/projectzomboid/libRakNet64.so)

My host tells me that we have glibc_2.12 and that is the highest version for CentOS and an upgrade to 2.15 could cause issues with my server (cpanel etc...). This server is also used for hosting websites so not sure what to do now!!!!  I was sooo close, lol.

Don't know my way around CentOS to really help. Kirrus might, but I believe he couldn't provide support for that setup either. Will have to wait and see.

Hey Gang,

Unless they help you upgrade, it won't run on Centos currently. I *may* be able to remove this requirement in the future.

Hello, I'm also running on CentOS and having similar issues to the other 2 members in this thread. However, we've got GLIBC_2.15 working on our machine but the server file still says the same error, we believe that the server version is looking for the libraries in the wrong location but cannot find out where it's actually looking for them, can anyone help with that?

projectzomboid-dedi-server.sh Console Output: (Server Version)

http://prntscr.com/36p2bk

projectzomboid.sh Console Output: (Client Version)

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
at zombie.gameStates.MainScreenState.main(MainScreenState.java:127)
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: org.lwjgl.LWJGLException: Could not open X display connection
at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.(Display.java:141)
... 1 more
Caused by: org.lwjgl.LWJGLException: Could not open X display connection
at org.lwjgl.opengl.LinuxDisplay.openDisplay(Native Method)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.LinuxDisplay.incDisplay(LinuxDisplay.java:303)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.LinuxDisplay.internAtom(LinuxDisplay.java:603)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.LinuxDisplay.init(LinuxDisplay.java:708)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.(Display.java:138)
... 1 more

Notice how the client version loads the libraries fine (except for the fact it cant load the gui because we're running through ssh) yet the server version doesn't load the libraries.

./libRakNet64.so: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.15' not found (required by ./libRakNet64.so)
./libRakNet64.so: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by ./libRakNet64.so)
linux-vdso.so.1 => (0x00007fff748f1000)
libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6 (0x00007f9be593b000)
libm.so.6 => /lib64/libm.so.6 (0x00007f9be56b7000)
libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib64/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x00007f9be54a0000)
libc.so.6 => /lib64/libc.so.6 (0x00007f9be510c000)
/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x00007f9be5fac000)

Our network/java guy says the server version is not looking in the directory it's located in but the client version is.

They're actually exactly the same codebases. They're not referenced separately at all. The main difference between client and server is which bits of the code gets activated, and they both use the same RakNet library. If I recall correctly, the RakNet library doesn't get activated at all until you actually click on 'Join Server' in the menu, so testing without a desktop UI won't show the same issue on the client.

ldd is definitely indicating the problem is that the RakNet binary can't link to the glibc shared library. Can you try as root:

ls -l /lib64/libc.so.6 ?

Guys i still can't update my server. Have to use 25a instead of 25

I run a linux based server and i use desktop.

here is what i do.

1. run the steamcmd.sh

2. Getting this in terminal:

Redirecting stderr to '/home/steam/steamcmd/logs/stderr.txt'
Looks like steam didn't shutdown cleanly, scheduling immediate update check
[  0%] Checking for available updates...
[----] Verifying installation...
Steam Console Client © Valve Corporation
-- type 'quit' to exit --
Loading Steam3...OK.

Steam>login mylogin

Logging in user 'mylogin' to Steam Public...Using cached credentials. . .
Success.

3. Have to type some command but i dont know what exactly

Steam>

Just run this command replacing the steamusername and steampassword with your steam info. Run it before you start steamcmd and it will run through everytrhing for you. Do not start SteamCMD without using this command.

./steamcmd.sh +login steamusername steampassword "+app_update 108600 -beta iwillbackupmysave -betapassword iaccepttheconsequences" validate +exit

Why does it take so many damn tries to download those files?

All I want to do is go to bed and finish setting up in the morning.  Dx

Judging from the larger file size this time around, I'm thinking this'll finally be it.

Connell:

wget http://kirrus.co.uk/stuff/pz/wheezy-glibc-sid.sh

What is this dependency?  I'm running Squeeze, not Wheezy, and I can't get that to bash.  Pretty sure it's what is preventing me from getting my server started, since I can't run the dedi-server.sh either.

Do you have a Squeeze version?  Or would installing/updating glibc as a whole solve the issue?

Connell:

What is this dependency?  I'm running Squeeze, not Wheezy, and I can't get that to bash.  Pretty sure it's what is preventing me from getting my server started, since I can't run the dedi-server.sh either.

Do you have a Squeeze version?  Or would installing/updating glibc as a whole solve the issue?

No, the server requires wheezy. Squeeze is EOLing soon.

Connell:

No, the server requires wheezy. Squeeze is EOLing soon.

Urgh.  Dx

Okay, I've updated to Wheezy.  I've gotten all the server files.  I bashed the linked glibc dependency.  I managed to start the server once, but accidentally ran it while I was logged in as root, resulting in an error where it did not find my Zomboid folder (which was, of course, in user steam's home folder).

To avoid having to switch back to root, I did visudo and gave steam root access.  I then su'd back to steam, navigated to the directory where all the files were (the exact same file architecture used by OP), and tried to run the server again.  I get "bash: ./projectzomboid-dedi-server.sh: /bin/bash^M: bad interpreter: No such file or directory".  No flipping clue why.  I even used sudo bash on the glibc file again and then tried running the server again, and it just won't start - no such file every time.

Any suggestions?

Okay, I've updated to Wheezy.  I've gotten all the server files.  I bashed the linked glibc dependency.  I managed to start the server once, but accidentally ran it while I was logged in as root, resulting in an error where it did not find my Zomboid folder (which was, of course, in user steam's home folder).

To avoid having to switch back to root, I did visudo and gave steam root access.  I then su'd back to steam, navigated to the directory where all the files were (the exact same file architecture used by OP), and tried to run the server again.  I get "bash: ./projectzomboid-dedi-server.sh: /bin/bash^M: bad interpreter: No such file or directory".  No flipping clue why.  I even used sudo bash on the glibc file again and then tried running the server again, and it just won't start - no such file every time.

Any suggestions?

You don't need to use bash, but even if you're not using it. It is entirely possible the dedi-server file is not present. Navigate to the folder where the file should be and do ls -l and see if the file is actually in that folder.