Buying & Running a Linux Project Zomboid Server

Connall

So I know someone else is having this problem too, and I'm pretty much stumped.

ID_NEW_INCOMING_CONNECTIONid=0 guid=558446494616930934Error with packet of type: 2 for nulljava.nio.BufferUnderflowException        at java.nio.Buffer.nextGetIndex(Buffer.java:497)        at java.nio.HeapByteBuffer.getShort(HeapByteBuffer.java:304)        at zombie.GameWindow.ReadStringUTF(GameWindow.java:1995)        at zombie.GameWindow.ReadString(GameWindow.java:2006)        at zombie.network.GameServer.mainLoopDealWithNetData(GameServer.java:940)        at zombie.network.GameServer.main(GameServer.java:196)ID_DISCONNECTION_NOTIFICATION

I've already allocated 2GB of the 4GB of RAM, on my VPS. I'm currently running Debian 7 and followed the instructions to a "T", did it three times too!

If anyone has gotten around this, please post!

What's the CPU specification? See if we can't nail down what this problem is.

Ran a "less /etc/cpuproc"

processor       : 0vendor_id       : GenuineIntelcpu family      : 6model           : 60model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 v3 @ 3.50GHzstepping        : 3cpu MHz         : 1750.000cache size      : 8192 KBphysical id     : 0siblings        : 8core id         : 0cpu cores       : 4apicid          : 0initial apicid  : 0fpu             : yesfpu_exception   : yescpuid level     : 13wp              : yesflags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 fma cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm abm arat epb xsaveopt pln pts dts tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase bmi1 hle avx2 smep bmi2 erms invpcid rtmbogomips        : 6984.46clflush size    : 64cache_alignment : 64address sizes   : 39 bits physical, 48 bits virtualpower management:

It's a Quad-core VPS, and information is pretty much the same on the other cores - 1, 2, and 3.

ID_NEW_INCOMING_CONNECTIONid=0 guid=558446494616930934Error with packet of type: 2 for nulljava.nio.BufferUnderflowException        at java.nio.Buffer.nextGetIndex(Buffer.java:497)        at java.nio.HeapByteBuffer.getShort(HeapByteBuffer.java:304)        at zombie.GameWindow.ReadStringUTF(GameWindow.java:1995)        at zombie.GameWindow.ReadString(GameWindow.java:2006)        at zombie.network.GameServer.mainLoopDealWithNetData(GameServer.java:940)        at zombie.network.GameServer.main(GameServer.java:196)ID_DISCONNECTION_NOTIFICATION

I've already allocated 2GB of the 4GB of RAM, on my VPS. I'm currently running Debian 7 and followed the instructions to a "T", did it three times too!

What's the CPU specification? See if we can't nail down what this problem is.

And mine is:

processor : 0

vendor_id : GenuineIntel

cpu family : 6

model : 45

model name : Xen Virtual CPU

stepping : 7

microcode : 0x710

cpu MHz : 2500.052

cache size : 15360 KB

physical id : 0

siblings : 2

core id : 0

cpu cores : 1

apicid : 0

initial apicid : 1

fpu : yes

fpu_exception : yes

cpuid level : 13

wp : yes

flags : fpu de tsc msr pae cx8 sep cmov pat clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht syscall nx lm constant_tsc rep_good nopl pni pclmulqdq ssse3 cx16 sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx hypervisor lahf_lm ida arat xsaveopt pln pts dtherm

bogomips : 5000.10

clflush size : 64

cache_alignment : 64

address sizes : 46 bits physical, 48 bits virtual

power management:

processor : 1

vendor_id : GenuineIntel

cpu family : 6

model : 45

model name : Xen Virtual CPU

stepping : 7

microcode : 0x710

cpu MHz : 2500.052

cache size : 15360 KB

physical id : 0

siblings : 2

core id : 0

cpu cores : 1

apicid : 0

initial apicid : 1

fpu : yes

fpu_exception : yes

cpuid level : 13

wp : yes

flags : fpu de tsc msr pae cx8 sep cmov pat clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht syscall nx lm constant_tsc rep_good nopl pni pclmulqdq ssse3 cx16 sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx hypervisor lahf_lm ida arat xsaveopt pln pts dtherm

bogomips : 5000.10

clflush size : 64

cache_alignment : 64

address sizes : 46 bits physical, 48 bits virtual

power management:

Edit: Set the projectzomboid-dedi-server.sh file to 1536MB ans still the same. Seems its not the lack of memory that's the problem.

I´m wondering what the max playercount would be with a root with the following specs:

• Intel Core i5-3450, 4 x 3,10 GHz
  • 16GB DDR3 RAM (I would assign max. 10GB)

Would it be able to support +40 players? Not that I want to run a server with that many players right now but with future map-updates and the possibility to add usermade maps I want a futureproof setup.

The other root is slightly better (but also a little bit higher priced):

• Intel Core i7-4770
  • 32GB DDR3 RAM (I would assign max. 25GB)

Or would this one be more suitable:

• AMD Opteron 3365, 8x 2,3GHz

(The last one should be good if the server is heavily multithreaded or am I wrong?)

I´m wondering what the max playercount would be with a root with the following specs:

• Intel Core i5-3450, 4 x 3,10 GHz

Would it be able to support +40 players? Not that I want to run a server with that many players right now but with future map-updates and the possibility to add usermade maps I want a futureproof setup.

The other root is slightly better (but also a little bit higher priced):

• Intel Core i7-4770
  • 32GB DDR3 RAM (I would assign max. 25GB)

Or would this one be more suitable:

• AMD Opteron 3365, 8x 2,3GHz

(The last one should be good if the server is heavily multithreaded or am I wrong?)

At around 4GB I get about 20~ odd players able to be into the server. I don't see why hypothetically 10GB couldn't support 40 players. 25GB and you would be blowing the server away player wise. I think the biggest problem is working in hypotheticals. Like I said, don't see why not should do the trick.

Has anyone had any luck with the "java.nio.BufferUnderflowException" error?

Not yet, tried some more java "stuff" (different jdk etc) but no luck yet...

Were you guys performing a soft reset at the time the error appeared? Any information would be helpful.

Were you guys performing a soft reset at the time the error appeared? Any information would be helpful.

What do you mean by a soft reset? It's a new server + installation of zomboid. No data of any kind has been copied, so it its a fresh map where no-one has played yet. If you mean the server. I have rebooted it when i was done with the installation and everything (just to be sure).

What information would be helpfull? I could check when im home again what java version has been installed? If you want, i could also give you access to the server...

What do you mean by a soft reset? It's a new server + installation of zomboid. No data of any kind has been copied, so it its a fresh map where no-one has played yet. If you mean the server. I have rebooted it when i was done with the installation and everything (just to be sure).

What information would be helpfull? I could check when im home again what java version has been installed? If you want, i could also give you access to the server...

Nevermind ignore me, being stupid.

Can you, just for a short time, assign 3.5GB to the server? So, 3608MB?

Im sorry, thats one thing i cannot do (money reasons, memory on my vps provider is expensive) =(

At this moment i'm limited to 2 Gig.

Im sorry, thats one thing i cannot do (money reasons, memory on my vps provider is expensive) =(

Who are you hosted with?

Who are you hosted with?

Im hosted at http://www.cloudvps.com/ with the "vps2" server at this moment.

Well guys, i somehow got it working. Will try this weekend to figure out what i have done. The main points would be that before i started i ran the command

apt-get update

apt-get upgrade

apt-get install ia32-libs

And then another round of updates

Also changed my memory limits to the max. So its at 2048 (the max i have).

If you're running a VPS, make sure to see that you're not running any software that makes it obvious that you haven't configured it. My own VPS just got broken into and was turned into a DDoS machine. Found out that apache was running, so it had the default setup site. So I'm combing through all its startup services.

Well guys, i somehow got it working. Will try this weekend to figure out what i have done. The main points would be that before i started i ran the command

apt-get update

apt-get upgrade

Ahh, that might be worth adding to the guide, thanks.

Definitely don't leave it at 2048 - you'll see laggy performance if it has to go into swap, and the system can basically overload itself entirely - hence recommended 70% :)

I think I figured out the problem.. I had the same one and fixed it. Turns out it was the client I was using to connect to the server.  Make sure you're running [iwillbackupmysave] instead of [onlinetest].  Should fix your issues too.

Wait, I thought the [iwillbackupmysave], for client, had no online built into it, or am I missing something?

Update - Well holy crap. I just changed my server to "onlinetest", after reading rehatiel's suggestion. So for me, I used -

./steamcmd.sh +login steamusername steampassword +force_install_dir directory/you/want/to/install/to* "+app_update 108600 -beta onlinetest" validate +exit

Like rehatiel said, make sure you're using the same build on both server and client.

EDIT - Added update, with success story!

Wait, I thought the [iwillbackupmysave], for client, had no online built into it, or am I missing something?

Update - Well holy crap. I just changed my server to "onlinetest", after reading rehatiel's suggestion. So for me, I used -

./steamcmd.sh +login steamusername steampassword +force_install_dir directory/you/want/to/install/to* "+app_update 108600 -beta onlinetest" validate +exit

Like rehatiel said, make sure you're using the same build on both server and client.

I didn't think it had online support either, but it does.. it actually has the online support plus the single player.  Only thing that doesn't seem to work very well is saving servers, but everything else seems okay.. I might update to online test later to see how it goes.

apt-get update

apt-get upgrade

Ahh, that might be worth adding to the guide, thanks.

Definitely don't leave it at 2048 - you'll see laggy performance if it has to go into swap, and the system can basically overload itself entirely - hence recommended 70% :)

Hmm, good call. I'll change it when im home. My guess is that the server will still work after =)

Maybe this was my problem as well! In steam i'm using "onlinetest" as well. when i followed the guide (with the "iwillbackupmysave" branch) it did'nt work because of that error. I think after the 4th reinstalled i changed "iwillbackupmysave" to "onlinetest" (not sure). So the problem probably is incompatibility between the two versions?