Buying & Running a Linux Project Zomboid Server

Connall

java version "1.6.0_31"OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.13.3) (6b31-1.13.3-1~deb7u1)OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.25-b01, mixed mode)
You'll need at least java 1.7 in order to run PZ properly - try installing 1.7 and then test again.

apt-get install openjdk-7-jre-headlessupdate-alternatives --config java
Btw. Edit both -xm values to the same amount

• 3 weeks later...

First off, let me thank you for taking the time to put this guide together.

So, I rented a VPS from the host you suggested in the original post. I'm able to get through getting java installed, and steam as well, however when I try to run the steamcmd.sh file I get the following error.

steam@rgress35:~/steamcmd$ ./steamcmd.sh +login equater mysteampassword
Redirecting stderr to '/home/steam/Steam/logs/stderr.txt'
ILocalize::AddFile() failed to load file "public/steambootstrapper_english.txt".
[  0%] Checking for available update...
[  0%] Downloading update (0 of 10,655 KB)...
SteamUpdater: Error: Download of package (steamcmd_bins_linux) failed after 168 bytes (404).
[  0%] Download Complete.
[----] Verifying installation...
[  0%] Downloading Update...
SteamUpdater: Error: Download of package (steamcmd_bins_linux) failed after 168 bytes (404).
SteamUpdater: Error: Steam needs to be online to update.  Please confirm your network connection and try again.
[  0%] !!! Fatal Error: Steam needs to be online to update.  Please confirm your network connection and try again.
steam@rgress35:~/steamcmd$

I fail to even receive a steamguard email prompting this log in. I've attempted running the autoscripts that were posted, however when I'd go back to look at the prompts after realizing the dedi-server file was never downloaded I find the same error. I'm quite new to linux in general so I'm not quite sure what to do here. Any thoughts?

Edit: The virtual server is currently running Ubuntu 12.04-LTS x64. Attempted previously with Wheezy x64 but ran into the steam cannot connect error with the auto scripts. Cheers.

Hi there.
Got the server corresponding to the first post installed without problems. My system is a debian wheezy 7.5 up2date root server, java (oracle) runtime environment 1.7.0_60

My problem is now, that the server wants to connect graphically:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect to X11 window server using 'localhost:11.0' as the value of the DISPLAY variable.

And then the exception list:

at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.initDisplay(Native Method)
at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.access$200(Unknown Source)
at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
at java.lang.Class.forName(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.createGE(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvironment(Unknown Source)
at sun.awt.X11.XToolkit.(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
at java.lang.Class.forName(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Toolkit$2.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.awt.Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.event.MouseEvent.(Unknown Source)
at sun.misc.Unsafe.ensureClassInitialized(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.UnsafeFieldAccessorFactory.newFieldAccessor(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.ReflectionFactory.newFieldAccessor(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Field.acquireFieldAccessor(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Field.getFieldAccessor(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Field.get(Unknown Source)
at se.krka.kahlua.integration.expose.LuaJavaClassExposer.exposeStatics(LuaJavaClassExposer.java:393)
at se.krka.kahlua.integration.expose.LuaJavaClassExposer.exposeLikeJava(LuaJavaClassExposer.java:366)
at se.krka.kahlua.integration.expose.LuaJavaClassExposer.exposeLikeJavaByClass(LuaJavaClassExposer.java:575)
at se.krka.kahlua.integration.expose.LuaJavaClassExposer.exposeLikeJava(LuaJavaClassExposer.java:539)
at se.krka.kahlua.integration.expose.LuaJavaClassExposer.exposeList(LuaJavaClassExposer.java:560)
at se.krka.kahlua.integration.expose.LuaJavaClassExposer.exposeLikeJavaByClass(LuaJavaClassExposer.java:578)
at se.krka.kahlua.integration.expose.LuaJavaClassExposer.exposeLikeJavaByClass(LuaJavaClassExposer.java:573)
at se.krka.kahlua.integration.expose.LuaJavaClassExposer.exposeLikeJava(LuaJavaClassExposer.java:539)
at se.krka.kahlua.integration.expose.LuaJavaClassExposer.exposeLikeJavaByClass(LuaJavaClassExposer.java:580)
at se.krka.kahlua.integration.expose.LuaJavaClassExposer.exposeLikeJavaByClass(LuaJavaClassExposer.java:580)
at se.krka.kahlua.integration.expose.LuaJavaClassExposer.exposeList(LuaJavaClassExposer.java:560)
at se.krka.kahlua.integration.expose.LuaJavaClassExposer.exposeLikeJavaByClass(LuaJavaClassExposer.java:586)
at se.krka.kahlua.integration.expose.LuaJavaClassExposer.exposeLikeJavaByClass(LuaJavaClassExposer.java:578)
at se.krka.kahlua.integration.expose.LuaJavaClassExposer.exposeLikeJavaByClass(LuaJavaClassExposer.java:571)
at se.krka.kahlua.integration.expose.LuaJavaClassExposer.exposeLikeJavaByClass(LuaJavaClassExposer.java:571)
at se.krka.kahlua.integration.expose.LuaJavaClassExposer.exposeLikeJavaByClass(LuaJavaClassExposer.java:570)
at se.krka.kahlua.integration.expose.LuaJavaClassExposer.exposeLikeJavaRecursively(LuaJavaClassExposer.java:525)
at zombie.Lua.LuaManager.init(LuaManager.java:245)
at zombie.network.GameServer.doMinimumInit(GameServer.java:908)
at zombie.network.GameServer.main(GameServer.java:195)

Any ideas, why the server wants to connect to a X11 server? Haven't read about that here. And there is no X running on my server.

edit: nvm :)

unset DISPLAY; ./projectzomboid-dedi-server.sh

Now it started.

Regards, Corben

Edited by Corben

Update on the issue that I was having.

First off, let me thank you for taking the time to put this guide together.

So, I rented a VPS from the host you suggested in the original post. I'm able to get through getting java installed, and steam as well, however when I try to run the steamcmd.sh file I get the following error.

steam@rgress35:~/steamcmd$ ./steamcmd.sh +login equater mysteampassword
Redirecting stderr to '/home/steam/Steam/logs/stderr.txt'
ILocalize::AddFile() failed to load file "public/steambootstrapper_english.txt".
[----] Verifying installation...
[  0%] Downloading Update...
SteamUpdater: Error: Steam needs to be online to update.  Please confirm your network connection and try again.
[  0%] !!! Fatal Error: Steam needs to be online to update.  Please confirm your network connection and try again.
steam@rgress35:~/steamcmd$

I fail to even receive a steamguard email prompting this log in. I've attempted running the autoscripts that were posted, however when I'd go back to look at the prompts after realizing the dedi-server file was never downloaded I find the same error. I'm quite new to linux in general so I'm not quite sure what to do here. Any thoughts?

Edit: The virtual server is currently running Ubuntu 12.04-LTS x64. Attempted previously with Wheezy x64 but ran into the steam cannot connect error with the auto scripts. Cheers.

We did yet another system wipe, and rolled with Debian Wheezy again. We ran into the same steam connection error when trying to get steamcmd to actually launch. The best work around I was able to come up with was to download PZ on a netbook of mine that is running on Ubuntu, then upload the files to the VPS via SFTP.

Picking up the steps from where I would be from the download via steamcmd I now run into this error when trying to launch the dedi-server.sh file

steam@rgress35:~/Steam/SteamApps/common/ProjectZomboid$ ./projectzomboid-dedi-server.sh
-su: ./projectzomboid-dedi-server.sh: Permission denied
steam@rgress35:~/Steam/SteamApps/common/ProjectZomboid$ ./projectzomboid-dedi-server.sh
-su: ./projectzomboid-dedi-server.sh: Permission denied
steam@rgress35:~/Steam/SteamApps/common/ProjectZomboid$

I have edited the ram values for the server with out a hitch, and this is where we are stuck at now. Any advice?

This might be an issue with how your VPS provider has set things up. Last I checked, the server .sh doesn't run su, for starters...

Do you know if your VPS provider has any unusual proxy setups going on, or if outbound network connections and HTTP requests to for example Steam's web services generally work? The Steam servers definitely don't return 404 under normal conditions, and Steamguard emails never arriving (assuming your mail address usually receives them normally from other sources) indicate the Steamguard request doesn't even get generated on Steam's end, again possibly because of the networking between steamcmd and Steam servers being interfered with.

This might be an issue with how your VPS provider has set things up. Last I checked, the server .sh doesn't run su, for starters...

Do you know if your VPS provider has any unusual proxy setups going on, or if outbound network connections and HTTP requests to for example Steam's web services generally work? The Steam servers definitely don't return 404 under normal conditions, and Steamguard emails never arriving (assuming your mail address usually receives them normally from other sources) indicate the Steamguard request doesn't even get generated on Steam's end, again possibly because of the networking between steamcmd and Steam servers being interfered with.

We figured that it was most likely the firewall or proxy settings from the server host that were causing this issue. We set up the firewall as seen here http://imgur.com/7Avr5Qs per the steamcmd firewall settings.

I'm not sure if this is the correct port openings however as we still ran into that error even after opening them up.

The server is a a baseline VPS from NFOServers, with a fresh OS install prior to our previous attempt at getting things going. I was hoping the SFTP work around would get the ball rolling a bit more, but we keep running into that permission denied error and I haven't a clue on how to fix it. I've been tinkering with this project for the last 5 or 6 days after work and it's starting to drive me bonkers.

Any other info I can provide let me know. I appreciate any and all help with this issue.

Sorry to ask but why do you bother renting a VPS then setting the game server up yourself when you can just rent a dedicated game server ready-to-play ?

Not to mention the price seems to be much higher when renting a VPS and you end up with less memory and a slow CPU.

You may want to check http://www.fragnet.net and http://www.roxservers.com

There are always advantages to having a VPS vs having a dedicated game server.

Sorry to ask but why do you bother renting a VPS then setting the game server up yourself when you can just rent a dedicated game server ready-to-play ?

Not to mention the price seems to be much higher when renting a VPS and you end up with less memory and a slow CPU.

You may want to check http://www.fragnet.net and http://www.roxservers.com

There are always advantages to having a VPS vs having a dedicated game server.

Depends what your plans are but if your plans are just the game server there are no real advantages as you will just waste time setting up.

And even if you plan to host a web server or w/e youy better comapre game server + web hosting vs VPS prices as it may end up cheaper still.

As a GSP I would certainly not use a VPS for gaming purposes, you better get a cheap dedicated so you are not sharing any resources with other users on the same node.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes but i may have messed up on the zomboid folder , which it has to have ..where does this folder need to be,mine is in /steam/home ...far away from the serverlaunch file.

You should run the game as the 'steam' user.

The steam user should have a 'Zomboid' folder in it's home directory. You can get to it's home directory, by running this as it:

cd ~/

The steam user must be able to write to it's files. Running the 'chown' command I specified as root should make sure it can.

Ok, that helped, i made the Zomboid folder with the steam user. the only error i get now is the following.

"Loading world...

Unknown bind__() error -1.
return code: 5
"

getting there.. wouldnt be without your help thnx. 

Getting this as well after running successfully - unsure as to where to begin looking, as the console information isn't very descriptive (source of error). 

Yes but i may have messed up on the zomboid folder , which it has to have ..where does this folder need to be,mine is in /steam/home ...far away from the serverlaunch file.

The steam user should have a 'Zomboid' folder in it's home directory. You can get to it's home directory, by running this as it:

cd ~/

The steam user must be able to write to it's files. Running the 'chown' command I specified as root should make sure it can.

Ok, that helped, i made the Zomboid folder with the steam user. the only error i get now is the following.

"Loading world...

"

Getting this as well after running successfully - unsure as to where to begin looking, as the console information isn't very descriptive (source of error). 

Never come across it before, so until then mind telling me which version of Linux you are using?

cd ~/

"Loading world...

"

Never come across it before, so until then mind telling me which version of Linux you are using?

After a quick grep recursive search for "__()" I found through RakNet64.so/RakNet32.so that this is referring to binding 127.0.0.1. Problem solved via a reboot of dedicated server.

cd ~/

"Loading world...

"

After a quick grep recursive search for "__()" I found through RakNet64.so/RakNet32.so that this is referring to binding 127.0.0.1. Problem solved via a reboot of dedicated server.

Sweet! I'll keep a note of this, should the error pop up again. :D

• 2 weeks later...

getting this error after running the server file:

root@server:/home/steam/Steam/steamapps/common/ProjectZomboid# ./projectzomboid-dedi-server.shLoading RakNet from: /home/steam/Steam/steamapps/common/ProjectZomboid/projectzomboidException in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: zombie/core/Core : Unsupported major.minor version 51.0        at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)        at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:643)        at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:142)        at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:277)        at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$000(URLClassLoader.java:73)        at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:212)        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)        at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:205)        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:323)        at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:294)        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:268)        at zombie.network.GameServer.main(GameServer.java:138)

somethinggg is unsupported. Any idea if this has to do with my JDK or Raknet and therefore kirrus' script? I ran that script a couple of times and had no errors, checked the packages it installed and it installed everything it was supposed to it seems.

Any help would be appreciated.

getting this error after running the server file:

root@server:/home/steam/Steam/steamapps/common/ProjectZomboid# ./projectzomboid-dedi-server.shLoading RakNet from: /home/steam/Steam/steamapps/common/ProjectZomboid/projectzomboidException in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: zombie/core/Core : Unsupported major.minor version 51.0        at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)        at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:643)        at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:142)        at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:277)        at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$000(URLClassLoader.java:73)        at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:212)        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)        at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:205)        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:323)        at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:294)        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:268)        at zombie.network.GameServer.main(GameServer.java:138)

somethinggg is unsupported. Any idea if this has to do with my JDK or Raknet and therefore kirrus' script? I ran that script a couple of times and had no errors, checked the packages it installed and it installed everything it was supposed to it seems.

Any help would be appreciated.

What OS are you running?

Any idea if this has to do with my JDK or Raknet and therefore kirrus' script?

Your JRE is out of date, the game requires Java 7. If you have multiple versions of Java installed, check that Java 7 is default.

Had a feeling it had something to do with java. By default through apt-get install jdk , jdk and jre v.6 were installed. Checking on alternatives (update-alternatives) it seems that was the only option available. Had to add a source link to an oracle repository to download a java 7 installer. 

But anyways got java 7 installed, no error, **SERVER STARTED**.

Thanks bud.

*I can’t remember where I installed it to and whether I created the Steam folder or if SteamCMD did it itself. I personally installed it in /home/steam/ I think, but I honestly can’t quite remember.

if you installed to /home/steam then you did not actually set a directory through force_install_dir (unless that was that directory you specified). Also, there is no need to specify an install directory. If you're logged in to steam user it will install to /home/steam by default. That's how you get the Steam directory under home/steam. So you can leave force_install_dir out of the equation. That's a command that's more useful in the case where you're not logged in as 'steam' user and therefore would need to specify directory.

Just thought I'd clarify/mention that. Not sure if its been mentioned before, this is a very long thread.

EDIT: sorry for the double post.

*I can’t remember where I installed it to and whether I created the Steam folder or if SteamCMD did it itself. I personally installed it in /home/steam/ I think, but I honestly can’t quite remember.

if you installed to /home/steam then you did not actually set a directory through force_install_dir (unless that was that directory you specified). Also, there is no need to specify an install directory. If you're logged in to steam user it will install to /home/steam by default. That's how you get the Steam directory under home/steam. So you can leave force_install_dir out of the equation. That's a command that's more useful in the case where you're not logged in as 'steam' user and therefore would need to specify directory.

Just thought I'd clarify/mention that. Not sure if its been mentioned before, this is a very long thread.

EDIT: sorry for the double post.

Yeah someone brought it up, I also eventually figured it out. It was more that the server folders were installed directly into that directory under a folder called ProjectZomboid. Rather than going further down that line of /home/steam/Steam/common/ProjectZomboid etc. If you get what I mean.

Had a feeling it had something to do with java. By default through apt-get install jdk , jdk and jre v.6 were installed. Checking on alternatives (update-alternatives) it seems that was the only option available. Had to add a source link to an oracle repository to download a java 7 installer. 

Just curious, what Linux distro and version are you on? Even Debian stable has packages for Java 7.

Just curious, what Linux distro and version are you on? Even Debian stable has packages for Java 7.

Debian 7 -Wheezy- i386. It was also a fresh install so there was nothing java related installed before attempting to set up a PZ server in the server box.