Buying & Running a Linux Project Zomboid Server

Connall

Had a feeling it had something to do with java. By default through apt-get install jdk , jdk and jre v.6 were installed. Checking on alternatives (update-alternatives) it seems that was the only option available. Had to add a source link to an oracle repository to download a java 7 installer. 

Just curious, what Linux distro and version are you on? Even Debian stable has packages for Java 7.

Debian 7 -Wheezy- i386. It was also a fresh install so there was nothing java related installed before attempting to set up a PZ server in the server box. 

Okay, for future reference you can just install openjdk-7-jre-headless from Debian repos, there's no particular need to use Oracle's Java for PZ.

Question: Any clues to why my servertest.db is not updating? I'm having to enter an administrator password everytime I start the server. I then log in (into the game, through 'join server') as admin and it doesn't prompt me for a password. Log out, then log back in and then it does prompt me for the admin password I set. Since this is stored in servertest.db it seems to me like it is updating but if I close the server (i.e. terminate the screen), then restart it, it doesn't find 'admin' in servertest.db and then prompts me for a new administrator password. 

player data is fine (I log back where I left my character), but isn't that technically stored on the client side? 

I also checked the permissions and owner of all the server files and my user 'steam' has complete access to all of them so I don't see how it wouldn't be able to overwrite the servertest.db file.

Another thing I'm doing is that to be able to get on screen I need root access, I got sudo installed, so I sudo screen (after making sure there are no other screens attached/running). That takes me into screen as root, so I change to steam from it (su steam) so that it accesses the Zomboid folder in /home/steam .... If I don't log into user 'steam' the game creates a Zomboid folder in /root/ if there isn't one already. Even if I go through the whole process as root it still prompts me for a new password everytime.

EDIT: well, I finally got it working by manually entering the admin username and password into the SQL servertest.db database (as a new whitelist id)... And it seems I'm having to do it manually for every account like this if I want to allow people to have accounts with password. I tried making a separate account then tried adding it to the whitelist with the /adduser command through admin, didn't work. So I finally entered the account info manually in the SQL database like i did for the admin account, restarted server, and it worked.

What I find odd about it is that previously when I had tried to run a PZ server off my personal laptop the admin info was saved to the SQL database the first time I started the server and was prompted to create an admin password.

Oh well, game is in alpha so no fault here. Or it might have been me messing something up  :???: .

Question: Any clues to why my servertest.db is not updating? I'm having to enter an administrator password everytime I start the server. I then log in (into the game, through 'join server') as admin and it doesn't prompt me for a password. Log out, then log back in and then it does prompt me for the admin password I set. Since this is stored in servertest.db it seems to me like it is updating but if I close the server (i.e. terminate the screen), then restart it, it doesn't find 'admin' in servertest.db and then prompts me for a new administrator password. 

player data is fine (I log back where I left my character), but isn't that technically stored on the client side? 

I also checked the permissions and owner of all the server files and my user 'steam' has complete access to all of them so I don't see how it wouldn't be able to overwrite the servertest.db file.

Another thing I'm doing is that to be able to get on screen I need root access, I got sudo installed, so I sudo screen (after making sure there are no other screens attached/running). That takes me into screen as root, so I change to steam from it (su steam) so that it accesses the Zomboid folder in /home/steam .... If I don't log into user 'steam' the game creates a Zomboid folder in /root/ if there isn't one already. Even if I go through the whole process as root it still prompts me for a new password everytime.

EDIT: well, I finally got it working by manually entering the admin username and password into the SQL servertest.db database (as a new whitelist id)... And it seems I'm having to do it manually for every account like this if I want to allow people to have accounts with password. I tried making a separate account then tried adding it to the whitelist with the /adduser command through admin, didn't work. So I finally entered the account info manually in the SQL database like i did for the admin account, restarted server, and it worked.

What I find odd about it is that previously when I had tried to run a PZ server off my personal laptop the admin info was saved to the SQL database the first time I started the server and was prompted to create an admin password.

Oh well, game is in alpha so no fault here. Or it might have been me messing something up  :???: .

I had this issue and was never able to resolve it. I figured I was just unlucky since everybody else could do it with no problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I get this error at the end after loading server on build 28

Loading RakNet from: /home/steam/Steam/steamapps/common/ProjectZomboid/projectzomboid
SVN REVISION 964
versionNumber=Build 28 demo=false
server name is "servertest"
reading server options from "/home/steam/Zomboid/Server/servertest.ini"
user database "/home/steam/Zomboid/db/servertest.db"
Initialising Server Systems...
translator: language is EN
translator: failed to parse Recipes for language=EN
translator: failed to parse Items for language=EN
Loading: media/lua/shared/ISBaseObject.lua
Loading: media/lua/shared/JoyPad/JoyPadSetup.lua
Loading: media/lua/shared/NPCs/MainCreationMethods.lua
Loading: media/lua/shared/Reloading/ISRackAction.lua
Loading: media/lua/shared/TimedActions/ISBaseTimedAction.lua
Loading: media/lua/shared/Reloading/ISReloadAction.lua
Loading: media/lua/shared/Reloading/ISReloadManager.lua
Loading: media/lua/shared/Reloading/ISReloadUtil.lua
Loading: media/lua/shared/Reloading/ISReloadableMagazine.lua
Loading: media/lua/shared/Reloading/ISReloadable.lua
Loading: media/lua/shared/Reloading/ISSemiAutoWeapon.lua
Loading: media/lua/shared/Reloading/ISReloadableWeapon.lua
Loading: media/lua/shared/Reloading/ISShotgunWeapon.lua
Loading: media/lua/shared/Reloading/ISRevolverWeapon.lua
Loading: media/lua/shared/Reloading/stormysReload.lua
Loading: media/lua/shared/Sandbox/SandboxVars.lua
Loading: media/lua/shared/SpawnRegions.lua
Loading: media/lua/shared/Util/AdjacentFreeTileFinder.lua
Loading: media/lua/shared/Util/BuildingHelper.lua
Loading: media/lua/shared/Util/LuaList.lua
Loading: media/lua/shared/Util/StringReplacer.lua
Loading: media/lua/shared/Util/Vector2.lua
Loading: media/lua/shared/a_requires.lua
Loading: media/lua/shared/defines.lua
Loading: media/lua/shared/keyBinding.lua
Loading: media/lua/shared/luautils.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/BuildingObjects/ISBuildUtil.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/BuildingObjects/ISBuildingObject.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/BuildingObjects/ISDoubleTileFurniture.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/BuildingObjects/ISLightSource.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/BuildingObjects/ISNaturalFloor.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/BuildingObjects/ISSimpleFurniture.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/BuildingObjects/ISWoodenContainer.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/BuildingObjects/ISWoodenDoor.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/BuildingObjects/ISWoodenDoorFrame.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/BuildingObjects/ISWoodenFloor.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/BuildingObjects/ISWoodenStairs.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/BuildingObjects/ISWoodenWall.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/BuildingObjects/PaintingReference.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/BuildingObjects/RainCollectorBarrel.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/Camping/BuildingObjects/campingCampfire.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/Camping/BuildingObjects/campingTent.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/Camping/ISCampfire.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/Camping/camping.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/Camping/camping_fuel.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/Camping/camping_text.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/ClientCommands.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/Farming/BuildingObjects/farmingPlot.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/Farming/ISPlant.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/Farming/basicFarming.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/Farming/farmingCommands.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/Farming/farming_displayInfo.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/Farming/farming_vegetableconf.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/Fishing/BuildingObjects/FishingNet.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/HealthSystem/HealthUpdate.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/ISBuildingBlueprintManager.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/ISCoordConversion.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/ISDoor.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/ISObjectClickHandler.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/Items/ItemBindingHandler.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/Items/ItemPicker.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/Items/ScriptItemInterface.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/Items/SuburbsDistributions.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/Items/WorldFiller.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/Map/MetaEnum.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/Movers/ISBaseMover.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/Movers/MoverStateMachine.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/Movers/MoverStates/ISBaseState.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/Movers/MoverStates/MoveToState.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/Movers/Rabbit.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/NPCs/Behaviour/BaseBehaviour.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/NPCs/Behaviour/GuardBehaviour.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/NPCs/FetchQuest.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/NPCs/ISConversationScript.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/NPCs/NPCEncountersMain.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/NPCs/NPCHouse.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/NPCs/SadisticAIDirector/EventSystem.lua
new event system
Loading: media/lua/server/NPCs/SadisticAIDirector/MetaSurvivor.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/NPCs/SadisticAIDirector/MetaSurvivorGroup.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/NPCs/SadisticAIDirector/RelationshipModifiers/Modifiers.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/NPCs/SadisticAIDirector/SadisticAIDirector.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/NPCs/SadisticAIDirector/SadisticMusicDirector.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/NPCs/SadisticAIDirector/SurvivorSelector.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/NPCs/SendOnLootMission.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/NPCs/TestThing.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/NewSelectionSystem/GridSquareSelector.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/Professions/Professions.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/Seasons/season.lua
Loading: media/lua/client/ISUI/ISPanel.lua
Loading: media/lua/client/ISUI/ISUIElement.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/Seasons/seasonProps.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/Traps/BuildingObjects/TrapBO.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/Traps/ISTrap.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/Traps/ISUI/ISTrapMenu.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/Traps/TrapDefinition.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/Traps/TrapRecipeCode.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/Traps/TrapSystem.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/TurnBased/TurnBasedMain.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/TutorialHelperFunctions.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/XpSystem/XPSystem_SkillBook.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/XpSystem/XpSystem_text.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/XpSystem/XpUpdate.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/katebaldspottutorial.lua
Loading: media/lua/client/SurvivalGuide/ISTutorialPanel.lua
Loading: media/lua/client/ISUI/ISRichTextPanel.lua
Loading: media/lua/client/ISUI/ISButton.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/mapScripts.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/metazones/metazoneHandler.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/metazones/metazones_muldraugh.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/metazones/metazones_westpoint.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/recipecode.lua
Loading: media/lua/server/timedactionshelper.lua
Loading: /home/steam/Zomboid/Server/servertest_spawnregions.lua
Loading: media/maps/Muldraugh, KY/spawnpoints.lua
Loading: media/maps/West Point, KY/spawnpoints.lua
Loading world...
tiledef: loading media/tiledefinitions.tiles
tiledef: loading media/newtiledefinitions.tiles
ALARMS: 72/1008 buildings have alarms
return code: 0
*** SERVER STARTED ****
server is listening on port 16261
java.util.NoSuchElementException: No line found
        at java.util.Scanner.nextLine(Scanner.java:1585)
        at zombie.network.GameServer$1.run(GameServer.java:441)

and can't input server commands from console. Does anyone know if that's an error I can solve? I tried running a build 28 server on windows and it worked fine (console commands and all). But on this debian linux OS it gives me this error. I have java 7 installed. Also, when I run a regular build 27 it works fine, no error.

I'm able to log in to the server with that error, running on build 28. I just cant use console commands. Should I report this as a bug? Is it possible that there is some sort of linux incompatibility?

nextLine() should work just fine even if the line is blank. That's an odd one. But yes, it's clearly a bug -- please do report it.

odd though. I have a seperate copy of sandboxVars.lua, servertest.ini, and the spawning files (when build 28 first come out I upgraded the server to it and downloaded these files to edit, no error then). Since the server works (its just the console commands that didn't) I copied over these files to the server (overwritting the unedited ones downloaded from steamcmd) and that solved the problem. Which leads me to believe it might be an issue with the recent hotfix.

I'll report it.

i have the same error but i'm trying to run the server on windows 8.1, how did you fix this? can you upload that files plz? :s

I should point out that this is a Linux thread and you would have a higher chance of success posting this as a new support/multiplayer help thread.

• 3 weeks later...

@Connall

I personally skipped the "screen" part with the following steps.

1) vim startzomboid.sh

2) nohup sh *serverdir/servercommand.sh* > zomboid.log &

When you :

sh startzomboid.sh

it will output to zomboid.log avoiding the multiple login problem. A ps -x will then find the process that you can kill. In my experience no problem with killing process directly buy you may want to admin /quit to be safe.

Hope it helps.

--- EXPERIMENTAL ---

You can track logins with the following ( still unfinished ) script.

#!/bin/bash

zomboid="zomboid.log"
stat="staus.cache"
#logon="Connected new client"

tail -f $zomboid | while read line; do
    line=`echo -n "$line" | grep -Po '(Connected new client\s|ID:\s)\K[^\s]*'`
    if [ -n "$line" ]; then
        echo "$line">>$stat
    fi
done

• 4 weeks later...

Hello guys.

I've been trying for quite some time to update my server to the early access version 29, but I'm always getting the build 28!

I'm using Ubuntu server x64 and this is my update code: (...) +force_install_dir /home/steam +app_update "108600 -beta iwillbackupmysave -betapassword [PASSWORD CAN BE FOUND HERE: http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/4183-iwbums-the-i-will-backup-my-save-branch/]validate" +exit

Am I getting this wrong? Should I change to another branch? Please, help!

Edit: Well, no one?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello guys.

I've been trying for quite some time to update my server to the early access version 29, but I'm always getting the build 28!

I'm using Ubuntu server x64 and this is my update code: (...) +force_install_dir /home/steam +app_update "108600 -beta iwillbackupmysave -betapassword [PASSWORD CAN BE FOUND HERE: http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/4183-iwbums-the-i-will-backup-my-save-branch/]validate" +exit

I'd like to second this question.  No matter what I try, it seems I can't run the server on the beta branch.  Works like a charm on the public release, though!   Thanks for the help.

Hello guys.

I'd like to second this question.  No matter what I try, it seems I can't run the server on the beta branch.  Works like a charm on the public release, though!   Thanks for the help.

As said before, for some reason beta versions with Steamcmd is very fiddly, there's not sure fire way to get it work. Only that you keep on trying and hope for the best really. :)

Hello guys.

As said before, for some reason beta versions with Steamcmd is very fiddly, there's not sure fire way to get it work. Only that you keep on trying and hope for the best really. :)

Well I mean, it installs the files from what I can tell.  I switched back and forth from beta to public several times.  But no matter which I have currently installed, the server still runs the public build.  Should I be changing some setting in the server?

Hello guys.

Well I mean, it installs the files from what I can tell.  I switched back and forth from beta to public several times.  But no matter which I have currently installed, the server still runs the public build.  Should I be changing some setting in the server?

Like I said, it's a Steamcmd thing, there's not much else you can do. It seems to sometimes grab beta files and other times it just drops back to the public build.

Ah, well, I used the spiffo-service script and it works perfectly.  Final question - how do I go about changing the sandbox settings.  I see an executable that I assume does this, but how can I?

EDIT:  Yeah, I looked it up and I know that I have to manually create the servertest_SandboxVars,lua in the server folder. 

i've followed the install instructions so far, i'm up to this point, i run the following line:

./projectzomboid-dedi-server.sh

outputs:

steam@GameServer:~/Steam/SteamApps/common/ProjectZomboid$ ./projectzomboid-dedi-server.sh

Loading RakNet from: /home/steam/Steam/SteamApps/common/ProjectZomboid/projectzomboid
SVN REVISION 964
versionNumber=Early Access v. 29.4 demo=false
server name is "servertest"

I wait a bit 3mins or so.. and nothing happens...

then i check:
/home/steam/Steam/SteamApps/common/ProjectZomboid/projectzomboid
and there is no serverOptions.ini

no idea what to do

I've followed the instructions down to...

./steamcmd.sh +login steamusername steampassword +force_install_dir directory/you/want/to/install/to* +app_update 108600" validate +exit

I insert my username and password and removed the +force_install_dir directory/you/want/to/install/to* since I had read it was unnecessary.  I get this result...

./steamcmd.sh: line 30:  1685 Illegal instruction     (core dumped) $DEBUGGER "$STEAMROOT/$PLATFORM/$STEAMEXE" "$@"

Any idea what this means?

I'm running Ubuntu Server 14.10.

• 1 month later...

The Cloudy Cloud Containerization is latest fashion, so here are the steps to make one...  8-) 

Host OS: ArchLinux
Container: systemd-nspawn

[root@host ~]# pacman --sync --noconfirm arch-install-scripts
[root@host ~]# mkdir /var/lib/container/pzserver
[root@host ~]# pacstrap -c -d /var/lib/container/pzserver base
[root@host ~]# systemd-nspawn -D /var/lib/container/pzserver
[root@pzserver ~]# passwd
[root@pzserver ~]# rm /etc/securetty
[root@pzserver ~]# logout
[root@host ~]# systemctl start systemd-nspawn@pzserver.service
[root@host ~]# machinectl login pzserver
[root@pzserver ~]# sed --in-place 's/#\[multilib\]/\[multilib\]/' /etc/pacman.conf
[root@pzserver ~]# sed --in-place '/\[multilib\]/{n;s/^#//}' /etc/pacman.conf
[root@pzserver ~]# pacman -Syu
[root@pzserver ~]# pacman --sync --noconfirm lib32-gcc-libs
[root@pzserver ~]# useradd -m steam
[root@pzserver ~]# pacman --sync --noconfirm --needed base-devel desktop-file-utils hicolor-icon-theme java-runtime-common libxrender libxtst shared-mime-info xdg-utils
[root@pzserver ~]# su --login steam --command 'curl --silent --show-error https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/jr/jre/jre.tar.gz | tar -xvz'
[root@pzserver ~]# su --login steam --command 'cd jre; makepkg'
[root@pzserver ~]# pacman --upgrade --noconfirm /home/steam/jre/jre-*.pkg.tar.xz
[root@pzserver ~]# su --login steam
[steam@pzserver ~]$ curl --silent --show-error http://media.steampowered.com/installer/steamcmd_linux.tar.gz | tar -xvz
[steam@pzserver ~]$ echo "/home/steam/steamcmd.sh +login anonymous +app_update 380870 validate +quit" > update_pz.sh
[steam@pzserver ~]$ chmod +x update_pz.sh
[steam@pzserver ~]$ ./update_pz.sh
[steam@pzserver ~]$ echo "/home/steam/Steam/steamapps/common/Project\ Zomboid\ Dedicated\ Server/start-server.sh" > start_pz.sh
[steam@pzserver ~]$ chmod +x start_pz.sh
[steam@pzserver ~]$ ./start_pz.sh

Host OS: Fedora 28
Container: systemd-nspawn

root@host:~$ dnf install systemd-container
root@host:~$ mkdir /etc/systemd/nspawn
root@host:~$ echo -e "[Exec]\nPrivateUsers=no\n[Network]\nPrivate=no" > /etc/systemd/nspawn/pzserver.nspawn
root@host:~$ mkdir --parents /var/lib/machines/pzserver
root@host:~$ dnf --releasever=28 --installroot=/var/lib/machines/pzserver install systemd passwd dnf fedora-release iproute iputils less nano tar glibc.i686 libstdc++.i686 libstdc++.x86_64 libglvnd-glx
root@host:~$ chpasswd --root /var/lib/machines/pzserver <<<"root:YOUR_PASSWORD_GOES_HERE"
root@host:~$ systemctl start systemd-nspawn@pzserver.service
root@host:~$ machinectl login pzserver
[root@pzserver ~]# useradd --create-home steam
[root@pzserver ~]# su --login steam
[steam@pzserver ~]$ curl --silent --location "https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/client/installer/steamcmd_linux.tar.gz" | tar --extract --gzip --one-top-level=Steam
[steam@pzserver ~]$ echo "Steam/steamcmd.sh +login anonymous +force_install_dir ~/pzserver_app +app_update 380870 validate +quit" > update_pz.sh
[steam@pzserver ~]$ chmod +x update_pz.sh
[steam@pzserver ~]$ ./update_pz.sh
[steam@pzserver ~]$ pzserver_app/start-server.sh

Edited by nadrimajstor
add fedora 28

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

If running it a few times doesn't work, then you need to run steamcmd.sh, then each command preceeded by plus, so -

Nope :/

MzWpri0.png

Where did you get onlinetest from as a beta branch? It's long gone now, the default version of project zomboid can now host multiplayer so you don't need the beta flag. It's also worth pointing out that you can download a PZ server with an anonymous login, but I can't remember what the app id for it is.