Buying & Running a Linux Project Zomboid Server

Connall

You may want to add that following is needed for 64bit Debian Wheezy in order to run steam properly (steam error line29)

apt-get install lib32gcc1

Added. I'm sure this came up before (since I accommodated it into my scripts.) but I guess I just forgot to. Thanks. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for the guide. With the recent update and recently becoming a server hoster myself, running zomboid from steam, on a Linux machine, I found the need to go one step deeper than your guide mentions, and by that I mean installing a different branch of the game, via steamcmd.

Rather than just installing by

app_update 108600 validate +exit

you will need to use some command line parameters in steamcmd.

The easiest method I found, was to delete the entire ProjectZomboid diretory from /Steam/steamapps/common/

I then deleted a .acf file, for app_108600 from /steamapps/ and reinstalled zomboid using the command:

login username passwordapp_update 108600 -beta iwillbackupmysave -betapassword iaccepttheconsequences validate +exit

You can also choose to specify the directory as above,

I found this out by using this guide and looking at the steamcmd wiki

and by looking at steam database and of course, the iwbums branch information here

This will install build 27, rather than build 26 at this current time.

I typed this very rushed but I hope it helps those that had any issues, like myself.

The guide used to be updated for IWBUMS but then they got rid of the branch, so I removed it from the tutorial as it was throwing up errors and causing problems. I think I'll just include both now since it seems to be constantly changing, that I think IWBUMY seems like it will be a regular branch.

Steamcmd seemed to have problems with branches and passwords and I found a fix for that, which is:

"app_update 108600 -beta iwillbackupmysave -betapassword iaccepttheconsequences" validate +exit

It's what I used before. Thanks for pointing out that we're back on the IWBUMS branch though, helps keep the guide up to date. ;)

However I will keep the original code this time around, since originally IWBUMS was absoloutely necessary for the multiplayer component, which is why I used to use it. Since it's not the case though I will let the user decide whether they want beta capabilities since not all players would be able to connect.

Betas by their nature can be a bit unstable so I don't want to force people onto this branch and would rather inform them of the choice. ;)

Hi all,

Got my server up and running (non beta) and I can connect, however when I do, character movement is very VERY fast, there are no zombies, and tiles stop loading randomly. Also when I disconnect my client the following server exception is thrown and the zomboid server is killed:

./games/projectzomboid-dedi-server.sh: line 27:  2723 Killed                  XMODIFIERS= java -Djava.library.path="${INSTDIR}" -Dorg.lwjgl.util.NoChecks=true -Dorg.lwjgl.librarypath="${INSTDIR}" -Xms400m -Xmx400m -XX:-UseSplitVerifier -cp "${JARPATH}" zombie.network.GameServer "$@"

I am wondering if anybody else has hit this wierd issue and knows how to solve it?

Max

post-14282-0-89959000-1402142564_thumb.p

post-14282-0-54681200-1402142568_thumb.p

Hi all,

Got my server up and running (non beta) and I can connect, however when I do, character movement is very VERY fast, there are no zombies, and tiles stop loading randomly. Also when I disconnect my client the following server exception is thrown and the zomboid server is killed:

./games/projectzomboid-dedi-server.sh: line 27:  2723 Killed                  XMODIFIERS= java -Djava.library.path="${INSTDIR}" -Dorg.lwjgl.util.NoChecks=true -Dorg.lwjgl.librarypath="${INSTDIR}" -Xms400m -Xmx400m -XX:-UseSplitVerifier -cp "${JARPATH}" zombie.network.GameServer "$@"

I am wondering if anybody else has hit this wierd issue and knows how to solve it?

Max

That errors is a crash due to lack of ram. 400MB is an insignificant amount of RAM, if you want to be hosting the server then you really need to up the amount of RAM associated with the server. :)

Hi all,

Max

That errors is a crash due to lack of ram. 400MB is an insignificant amount of RAM, if you want to be hosting the server then you really need to up the amount of RAM associated with the server. :)

hey, ok thanks, iv since upgraded actually, just waiting for the changes to take effect.

Any idea about the no zombie, fast movement issue?

Hi all,

Max

hey, ok thanks, iv since upgraded actually, just waiting for the changes to take effect.

Any idea about the no zombie, fast movement issue?

Probably a side effect of the lack of RAM I would wager.

Hey again, upping the ram fixed the lack of zombies and disappearing tiles issues, and yes logging in as the admin user was the reason for fast movement and lack of interaction with trees and zombies. Thanks for the help, and keep up the incredible work indie stone :)

p.s. a note to the writer of the guide:

- Needed to chown all created directories to the steam user otherwise when downloading zomboid you will get an error something like "app state 0x1"

- glibc version 2.15 is required and it's difficult to get on ubuntu older than 12.04. If you habve ubuntu 10.04 like i did, you can do a distribution upgrade and it'll fix it

- Needed to chown all created directories to the steam user otherwise when downloading zomboid you will get an error something like "app state 0x1"

- glibc version 2.15 is required and it's difficult to get on ubuntu older than 12.04. If you habve ubuntu 10.04 like i did, you can do a distribution upgrade and it'll fix it

1st one is interesting never experienced that for Debian.

2nd The guide was built for Debian Wheezy not Ubuntu, not sure why you would have that old distribution anyway.

:D

2nd The guide was built for Debian Wheezy not Ubuntu, not sure why you would have that old distribution anyway.

Not needed on Debian based distributions

Connall, maybe adjust your post with all required libraries on one spot within the steps

I'll write some recommendations of changes maybe due tomorrow if I find the time to get through.

Maybe append the post by installing mods/custom maps/Server settings and common errors to make it a good overall place for server owners like a compendium ;)

No need for extra threads that way.

Maybe reorganize the structure to be more... organized and clean (nothing against current state but I like the clean & nothing fancy about stuff on tutorials) I'll write you a PM for that with any idea I may came up with

Connall, maybe adjust your post with all required libraries on one spot within the steps

I'll write some recommendations of changes maybe due tomorrow if I find the time to get through.

Maybe append the post by installing mods/custom maps/Server settings and common errors to make it a good overall place for server owners like a compendium ;)

Maybe reorganize the structure to be more... organized and clean (nothing against current state but I like the clean & nothing fancy about stuff on tutorials) I'll write you a PM for that with any idea I may came up with

1. That would make sense.

2. This thread is really only for a base installation of the games. When it comes to maps/mods etc that would be more of a place for the Multiplayer FAQ (which I also helped write ;) maybe nudge nasKo on some topics if need be) I don't want to introduce complications or confuse anyone. The way is laid out is on purpose because I'm catering to those who have never used or interacted with a server. I don't want to list libraries all in one spot, I want to spread it out, hopefully explain what everything does so they can understand what they are installing and why. Really, the FAQ is the compendium or the wiki can be a compendium (if I got around to it) I don't feel this thread should be that.

Separate threads can also help for navigability it has to be said. Still, I'm more than willing to hear out these ideas but I can't promise I'll agree with you. :)

2. This thread is really only for a base installation of the games. When it comes to maps/mods etc that would be more of a place for the Multiplayer FAQ (which I also helped write ;) maybe nudge nasKo on some topics if need be) I don't want to introduce complications or confuse anyone. The way is laid out is on purpose because I'm catering to those who have never used or interacted with a server. I don't want to list libraries all in one spot, I want to spread it out, hopefully explain what everything does so they can understand what they are installing and why. Really, the FAQ is the compendium or the wiki can be a compendium (if I got around to it) I don't feel this thread should be that.

Separate threads can also help for navigability it has to be said. Still, I'm more than willing to hear out these ideas but I can't promise I'll agree with you. :)

Ok, I would have wrote it similar to yours but less lengthy and would have shorten the descriptions of each command to its minimum where it is understandable by a broad audience which has no knowledge of server administration.

I just didn't want to make a separate thread and "rip off" your guide as it is what I'm thinking off just with a few minor tweaks. (Thanks btw. for this awesome guide)

The Multiplayer FAQ, I honestly thought there were just clientside stuff in the thread so never worried much about it.

Imho it would make sense to split clientside and serverside.

Multiplayer FAQ for clientside

This thread for not only basic installation but for general server stuff (FAQ or compendium like)

What do you think about it?

Ok, I would have wrote it similar to yours but less lengthy and would have shorten the descriptions of each command to its minimum where it is understandable by a broad audience which has no knowledge of server administration.

I just didn't want to make a separate thread and "rip off" your guide as it is what I'm thinking off just with a few minor tweaks. (Thanks btw. for this awesome guide)

The Multiplayer FAQ, I honestly thought there were just clientside stuff in the thread so never worried much about it.

Imho it would make sense to split clientside and serverside.

Multiplayer FAQ for clientside

This thread for not only basic installation but for general server stuff (FAQ or compendium like)

What do you think about it?

Send me the tweaks and I'll think about them, but I still consider the FAQ to be a compendium of sorts and this to be very much a guide for first timers. I don't really feel that there needs to be a separation of Clientside and Serverside thread since the FAQ is quite easily navigable if it were to be laid out in a clear way. Sometimes more threads aren't necessary, if I really think they should be implemented in this thread I will, if I think it comes under the FAQ, I'll nudge nasKo about it.

Like I said though, I can't say one way or the other if I don't know what these tweaks are. ;)

There's room for multiple guides and tutorials. Write one. If you want to collaborate, put it on the wiki.

Since I completely agree with his steps I would consider "my" guide a rip-off which I definitely not want. It's just the formatting and maybe additional information about settings/mod installation etc.

Maybe if he would agree to a guide somehow "based" on his guide

There's room for multiple guides and tutorials. Write one. If you want to collaborate, put it on the wiki.

Since I completely agree with his steps I would consider "my" guide a rip-off which I definitely now want. It's just the formatting and maybe additional information about settings/mod installation etc.

Maybe if he would agree to a guide somehow "based" on his guide

So don't rewrite the guide, write a guide for Mod installation, map installation etc. You surely don't need to include server installation as something to be a part of that guide. You still haven't said anything every specific about the way the guide should be, I have received no PM only vague ideas of what should be changed with the guide.

There's also the numerous RJ threads regarding server options etc. The FAQ for a few things. Undeniable there are probably some gaps in tutorials such as mod installation and map installation, I don't think I would be to thrilled at a completely new guide that's just changing some formatting of this guide and being posted as new.

I didn't wrote a PM as it would be mainly formatting what I would change, which I came to the conclusion that shouldn't change as it is not my post and the way you did is way more personal then what I'm thinking off.(list style with minimal text description)
I'll write a tutorial on map/settings etc.
don't worry it won't be about general installation, instead I'll link to this guide which makes more sense.

edit: I would have imagined something like this to give you more than a vague idea ;)

-----

apt-get install default-jdkapt-get install screenapt-get install lib32gcc1

Installs Java Runtime (for running PZ), screen (for multiple console sessions required for running the server 24/7), lib32gcc1 (32bit libraries required for steam on 64bit environments)

adduser steam

Adds new user named "steam" for the PZ gameserver (never run as root unless you know what you do!)

-----

Like this way, it's understandable but way shorter, at least not that much "personal stuff" like

Keep in mind that not all players will be using the beta branch so not everyone would be able to connect. The decision is of course yours.

For login you will get a steam guard e-mail as should be expected, unfortunately you need the game in order to get the server software, so trying to log in as anonymous for SteamCMD will not work.

*I can’t remember where I installed it to and whether I created the Steam folder or if SteamCMD did it itself. I personally installed it in /home/steam/ I think, but I honestly can’t quite remember.

This is where FileZilla comes in handy, as now what we want to do is navigate to the project zomboid folder which should be something like /Steam/SteamApps/common/ProjectZomboid. Check this folder, does it have projectzomboid.sh? Does it have the projectzomboid folder? Does it have only these two things? Then sigh. You don’t have all the files.

When you download the program you need to have the projectzomboid folder, projectzomboid-dedi-server.sh file and a projectzomboid.sh file. If you are missing the server file then you are missing one of the most important things. You’ll have to keep running the steamCMD command. Just keep running those until the file appears.

If running it a few times doesn't work, then you need to run steamcmd.sh, then each command preceeded by plus, so -

It's way lengthier than i would write, that was the main thing i mentioned

Newbie here, sorry if I'm missing something rather obvious guys, but I get as far as running projectzomboid-dedi-server.sh (for the first time, right before we edit serverOptions.ini) and I get:

steam@penis:~/Steam/SteamApps/common$ ./projectzomboid-dedi-server.shLoading RakNet from: /home/steam/Steam/SteamApps/common/projectzomboidException in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: zombie/core/Core : Unsupported major.minor version 51.0        at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)        at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:643)        at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:142)        at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:277)        at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$000(URLClassLoader.java:73)        at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:212)        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)        at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:205)        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:323)        at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:294)        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:268)        at zombie.network.GameServer.main(GameServer.java:138)steam@penis:~/Steam/SteamApps/common$

I've followed the instructions to the letter, AFAIK; with the one exception of running...

./steamcmd.sh +login steamusername steampassword +force_install_dir directory/you/want/to/install/to* +app_update 108600" validate +exit

... as a single expression; that wouldn't work for some reason, but breaking it up into separate statements worked just fine.  

This is *exactly* what I entered into putty, if it's any help, from beginning to end:

apt-get install default-jdkapt-get install screenapt-get install lib32gcc1wget http://kirrus.co.uk/stuff/pz/wheezy-glibc-sid.shbash wheezy-glibc-sid.shadduser steamsu - steammkdir steamcmdcd /home/steam/steamcmdwget http://media.steampowered.com/installer/steamcmd_linux.tar.gztar -xvzf steamcmd_linux.tar.gzcd /home/steam/steamcmd./steamcmd.shlogin <my user name> <my password>force_install_dir /home/steam/Steam/SteamApps/common/app_update 108600" validateexitcd /home/steammkdir Zomboidcd /home/steam/Zomboidmkdir dbcd /home/steam/Steam/SteamApps/common./projectzomboid-dedi-server.sh

I made sure to add the world.db to the folder, and edited the projectzomboid-dedi-server.sh (located in /home/steam/Steam/SteamApps/common at this point) RAM to...

-Xms3276m \

...before attempting to run the server. ( I have 4096mb available on the VMS )

Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?