Buying & Running a Linux Project Zomboid Server

Connall

Okay, I've updated to Wheezy.  I've gotten all the server files.  I bashed the linked glibc dependency.  I managed to start the server once, but accidentally ran it while I was logged in as root, resulting in an error where it did not find my Zomboid folder (which was, of course, in user steam's home folder).

To avoid having to switch back to root, I did visudo and gave steam root access.  I then su'd back to steam, navigated to the directory where all the files were (the exact same file architecture used by OP), and tried to run the server again.  I get "bash: ./projectzomboid-dedi-server.sh: /bin/bash^M: bad interpreter: No such file or directory".  No flipping clue why.  I even used sudo bash on the glibc file again and then tried running the server again, and it just won't start - no such file every time.

Any suggestions?

You don't need to use bash, but even if you're not using it. It is entirely possible the dedi-server file is not present. Navigate to the folder where the file should be and do ls -l and see if the file is actually in that folder.

I just used my equivalent of FileZilla to check, and it is.

Just to verify:

steam@snip:~$ cd /home/steam/Steam/steamapps/common/ProjectZomboid

steam@snip:~/Steam/steamapps/common/ProjectZomboid$ ls -l 

total 20

drwxr-xr-x  4 steam steam 4096 Apr  5 23:40 9d1caf71f7bfdc93c9cbd8e17840ff6583440b42

drwxr-xr-x 19 steam steam 4096 Apr  5 23:40 projectzomboid

-rwxr-xr-x  1 steam steam  881 Apr  5 23:49 projectzomboid-dedi-server.sh

-rwxr-xr-x  1 steam steam  856 Apr  5 23:21 projectzomboid.sh

-rw-r--r--  1 steam steam  963 Feb 20 12:26 wheezy-glibc-sid.sh

steam@snip:~/Steam/steamapps/common/ProjectZomboid$ ./projectzomboid-dedi-server.sh

-bash: ./projectzomboid-dedi-server.sh: /bin/bash^M: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

steam@snip:~/Steam/steamapps/common/ProjectZomboid$

Than you have to use this command:

./steamcmd.sh +login steamusername steampassword "+app_update 108600 -beta build25b" validate +exit

That worked, but after i started the server i still could connect only on 25b...is there somwhere some switch ?

@dko112: So to get this clear: With which client version do you want to join your server? You can either set it up to work with Build25a, Build25b or IWBUMS.

I want to run my server under 25b.

OK, but as you posted in #203 it´s wokring now with Build 25b? Your posts are kinda cryptic to me  :???:

@dko112: So to get this clear: With which client version do you want to join your server? You can either set it up to work with Build25a, Build25b or IWBUMS.

OK, but as you posted in #203 it´s wokring now with Build 25b? Your posts are kinda cryptic to me  :???:

Yeah, I'm struggling to follow this. You want it on 25b, it is on 25b, so what's the problem? Or am I missing the point. >.<

Yeah, I'm struggling to follow this. You want it on 25b, it is on 25b, so what's the problem? Or am I missing the point. >.<

My english probably sucks...I'll try to explain one more time.

So, i go to my VPS-server on linux and preforme a server update via terminal, by doing following steps:

1. su - steam

2. cd /home/steam/steamcmd

3. ./steamcmd.sh +login steamlogin steampassword "+app_update 108600 -beta build25b" validate +exit

4. Getting the update: Success! App '108600' already up to date.

5. Running the projectzomboid-dedi-server.sh

After this is done i expect that my server will run under 25b build.

So i go to my steam account under windows at my home PC, and run zomboid using 25b build, but can not connect.

Server responses following:

ID_NEW_INCOMING_CONNECTION

id=0 guid=27021632552465285
Error with packet of type: 2 for null
java.nio.BufferUnderflowException
at java.nio.Buffer.nextGetIndex(Buffer.java:497)
at java.nio.HeapByteBuffer.getShort(HeapByteBuffer.java:304)
at zombie.GameWindow.ReadStringUTF(GameWindow.java:1995)
at zombie.GameWindow.ReadString(GameWindow.java:2006)
at zombie.network.GameServer.mainLoopDealWithNetData(GameServer.java:940)
at zombie.network.GameServer.main(GameServer.java:196)
ID_DISCONNECTION_NOTIFICATION

If i change my client side build on 25a (on my home PC) i can connect.

That probably means that my server machine runs 25a instead of 25b, and i cant get how to "switch" it.

My english probably sucks...I'll try to explain one more time.

So, i go to my VPS-server on linux and preforme a server update via terminal, by doing following steps:

1. su - steam

2. cd /home/steam/steamcmd

3. ./steamcmd.sh +login steamlogin steampassword "+app_update 108600 -beta build25b" validate +exit

4. Getting the update: Success! App '108600' already up to date.

5. Running the projectzomboid-dedi-server.sh

After this is done i expect that my server will run under 25b build.

So i go to my steam account under windows at my home PC, and run zomboid using 25b build, but can not connect.

Server responses following:

id=0 guid=27021632552465285
Error with packet of type: 2 for null
java.nio.BufferUnderflowException
at java.nio.Buffer.nextGetIndex(Buffer.java:497)
at java.nio.HeapByteBuffer.getShort(HeapByteBuffer.java:304)
at zombie.GameWindow.ReadStringUTF(GameWindow.java:1995)
at zombie.GameWindow.ReadString(GameWindow.java:2006)
at zombie.network.GameServer.mainLoopDealWithNetData(GameServer.java:940)
at zombie.network.GameServer.main(GameServer.java:196)

If i change my client side build on 25a (on my home PC) i can connect.

That probably means that my server machine runs 25a instead of 25b, and i cant get how to "switch" it.

That is most interesting...

Followed your guide and I'm getting this when I am attempting to start the server up:

./projectzomboid-dedi-server.sh: line 27: 17166 Killed                  XMODIFIE                                                                                                                                                             RS= java -Djava.library.path="${INSTDIR}" -Dorg.lwjgl.util.NoChecks=true -Dorg.l                                                                                                                                                             wjgl.librarypath="${INSTDIR}" -Xms358m -Xmx358m -XX:-UseSplitVerifier -cp "${JAR                                                                                                                                                             PATH}" zombie.network.GameServer "$@"

edit; Sorry about the weird format, not sure why it did that. c:

Edited by Mathias

Followed your guide and I'm getting this when I am attempting to start the server up:

./projectzomboid-dedi-server.sh: line 27: 17166 Killed                  XMODIFIE                                                                                                                                                             RS= java -Djava.library.path="${INSTDIR}" -Dorg.lwjgl.util.NoChecks=true -Dorg.l                                                                                                                                                             wjgl.librarypath="${INSTDIR}" -Xms358m -Xmx358m -XX:-UseSplitVerifier -cp "${JAR                                                                                                                                                             PATH}" zombie.network.GameServer "$@"

It's a server crash, usually done by a lack of RAM. How much RAM does the machine have and how much have you allowed the server to use?

It's a server crash, usually done by a lack of RAM. How much RAM does the machine have and how much have you allowed the server to use?

Silly me, didn't think of that. Fixed, thank you! :)

Edit, again; It says my client version doesn't match the servers. How would I fix this considering the "onlinetest" version is the only option I got to play MP with? :P

I mean, I understand that there's an difference with my versions, but I do not get how I could fix it due to that I only have one 'multiplayer' version? Unless I'm mistaken.

Silly me, didn't think of that. Fixed, thank you! :)

Edit, again; It says my client version doesn't match the servers. How would I fix this considering the "onlinetest" version is the only option I got to play MP with? :P

You want the iwillbackupmysave branch, it's hidden away by password. You can read up on how to join it here: http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/4183-iwbms-the-i-will-backup-my-save-branch/

My host tells me that we have glibc_2.12 and that is the highest version for CentOS and an upgrade to 2.15 could cause issues with my server (cpanel etc...). This server is also used for hosting websites so not sure what to do now!!!!  I was sooo close, lol.

Unless they help you upgrade, it won't run on Centos currently. I *may* be able to remove this requirement in the future.

So, do we have a chance that future builds will have stdc++ statically linked into the raknet build instead of hoping that the right version is available on various servers?  Obviously, I'm interested in a resolution like that, as I have the same issue, just with yet another OS.

My host tells me that we have glibc_2.12 and that is the highest version for CentOS and an upgrade to 2.15 could cause issues with my server (cpanel etc...). This server is also used for hosting websites so not sure what to do now!!!!  I was sooo close, lol.

Unless they help you upgrade, it won't run on Centos currently. I *may* be able to remove this requirement in the future.

So, do we have a chance that future builds will have stdc++ statically linked into the raknet build instead of hoping that the right version is available on various servers?  Obviously, I'm interested in a resolution like that, as I have the same issue, just with yet another OS.

No, it won't be rolled out statically linked, but we are recompiling against an older version of glibc. We'll see if that works.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

i got a VPS with 2GB ram and i installed PZ on it... Server is running but i cant connect. If i wanna join it, it says "Connecting..." and in the Clientconsole it says: "ID_CONNECTION_REQUEST_ACCEPTED", after this nothing happens... Whats wrong?

Greets

Hey,

i got a VPS with 2GB ram and i installed PZ on it... Server is running but i cant connect. If i wanna join it, it says "Connecting..." and in the Clientconsole it says: "ID_CONNECTION_REQUEST_ACCEPTED", after this nothing happens... Whats wrong?

Greets

2gb is a bit low, how many players to you want on it ? 

Hey,

Greets

2gb is a bit low, how many players to you want on it ? 

id=0 guid=585469316845552407

id=0 guid=585469316845552407

ID_CONNECTION_LOST

id=0 guid=265713757730650189

ID_CONNECTION_LOST

id=0 guid=752101138089713071

id=0 guid=752101138089713071

ID_CONNECTION_LOST

id=0 guid=761108338638492182

ID_CONNECTION_LOST

id=0 guid=135109381722238642

ID_CONNECTION_LOST

• 2 weeks later...

Error! App '108600' state is 0x6 after update job.

Tried to update my server to IWBUMS build 26 via this command:

./steamcmd.sh +login steamusername steampassword "+app_update 108600 -beta iwillbackupmysave -betapassword iaccepttheconsequences" validate +exit 

Error! App '108600' state is 0x6 after update job.

Tried to update my server to IWBUMS build 26 via this command:

./steamcmd.sh +login steamusername steampassword "+app_update 108600 -beta iwillbackupmysave -betapassword iaccepttheconsequences" validate +exit 

Try running it again. That's a steam error itself. It can be diskspace, (you've run out) etc, try googling it

• 2 weeks later...

I have a friend's VPS that he would let me use but its running Centos OS and switching OS would be rather annoying, will these instructions work for that?

Depending if Kirrus has been able to do his think, a rather crucial component for the server still doesn't work for CentOS so I'm afraid not.