The means to make it is there!

If you disagree with me go ahead and say why, but we have Agoraphobia and Claustrophobia, so why not a couple of Disorders? it could be a fun game to have a character have his mood randomly fluctuate from the tiniest things, and you may say you can just take Short Tempered, but I don't really agree because that only makes it easier to become angry and unhappy, and if you would take this trait, it should cancel out the ability to take Short-Tempered or Patient.

This game has alot of psychological-stuff planned so a couple of things like this would probably fit right in, imagine the difficulties one could have joining a survivor group with this, would make for a very interesting game!

And if anyone finds this post offensive, i'm uhh...sorry, I didn't mean to offend and don't see how I did.

And for you old-timers, i'm sorry if this was suggested before, really I am.

Thanks for reading! (fedora)

I'd vote for Bipolar in  the game. Making it worse that short tempered trait, for angering.

If we are adding mental disabilities, we should add schizophrenia.. So it would make us see a zombie that chases and attacks at us and we can fight, but as soon as it's killed it disappears, because it was imaginary.

I'd vote for Bipolar in  the game. Making it worse that short tempered trait, for angering.

If we are adding mental disabilities, we should add schizophrenia.. So it would make us see a zombie that chases and attacks at us and we can fight, but as soon as it's killed it disappears, because it was imaginary.

It would be possible, surely, but it would probably do better to become Schizophrenic in the game, rather than start with it.

Realism is one of the goals of the game, so please don't implement the Hollywood pulp take on insanity, in which schizophrenia is developed in the same way as PTSD and results typically in photo-realistic hallucinations.

Realism is one of the goals of the game, so please don't implement the Hollywood pulp take on insanity, in which schizophrenia is developed in the same way as PTSD and results typically in photo-realistic hallucinations.

Realistically, Schizophrenia Could be developed very easily if you were alone for a year or more with very little human contact, and were constantly in a state of fear, depression, and have experienced the death of your entire family, or know such has happened, but of course that depends the person. -_-

This thread isn't about Schizophrenia however, so no more derailing.

"You're wrong, now shut up"

This is not how discussions work, and no, mental health issues caused by loneliness and psychological trauma aren't schizophrenia. At least not outside the context of the Hollywood pulp I was referring to.

"You're wrong, now shut up"

This is not how discussions work, and no, mental health issues caused by loneliness and psychological trauma aren't schizophrenia. At least not outside the context of the Hollywood pulp I was referring to.

So are you here to troll or what? i'm just going to stop responding.

I have mixed feelings about this. I'd like to see how I could survive as a totally unstable personality in a totally unstable environment from Darwinian type survivalist point of view. But on the other hand I'm not sure mental disabilities would fit in the games atmosphere. First of all bipolar disorder is quite rare ~4% according to the all knowing Wikipedia. Phobias and temperaments aren't disabilities and something like agoraphobia would be in fact quite sensible as it isn't very safe wandering outside with the walking dead trying to gnaw your face off. Second it might insult some more sensitive people, so it could be that it isn't worth the risks involved for the devs. But hell, let's make a mod! When it'll be possible to add custom traits.

In my experience bipolar is more related to depression... One of my best friends has been diagnosed with a mild bipolar and he's very rarely angry, more depressed and self-destructive at times. But one thing is that he has quite some trouble getting along with certain types of people. On the other hand you can have mild "hypomania" which can actually increase productivity.

I think this would be counted as a mental health which is/was discussed here... but I could be wrong... there was some talk about disabilities if I remember correctly.

Mental Health Discussion Thread

yes i think its great idea and especially gaining traits in game like schizophrenia also and can you guys stop derailing threads and provoking fights cause you got me angry in my thread and i got 1 warning point because you only write you dont like the idea.

You need to learn to be more constructive and give more opinions not just derailing threads

I'd like to trigger a huge mental debate, because I can't cope with facts not matching my world perspective. But do not respond to my invite.

There - fixed your post.

Edit: ... that fixed. It's a great suggestion. Both bipolar disorders and schizophrenia

Second it might insult some more sensitive people, so it could be that it isn't worth the risks involved for the devs.

Proving myself somewhat wrong here...

I did find this:

http://www.theindies...?p=79283#p79283

The topic is about drugs but what Lemmy said is in conjunction with the idea that this kind of thing could be found in the game at some point. If they have the time and want to put it in...

lemmy101 said

Our only concession is no babies getting munched on by zombies.

Anything else is on the table technically, as long as it's tastefully handled. Really can't see any possible reason we would shy away from having cannabis in a game that contains euthanasia. And as long as kids aren't involved, fuck anything the Daily Mail has to say. ;)

Remember we're indie, and are not at the mercy of WallMart getting cold feet or it getting AO for showing a pixelly nipple. Not that we're planning on showing pixelly nipples, but you get my point.

I think you have to be careful in what type of disorder you put in.  The minute you start trying to put mental health issues into a game but don't model them 100% accurately you will get the <insert organisation/name> brigade complaining to you that "this isn't how the disorder works and its this type of stereotype and incorrect information that cause so much problem with the way people treat people with <insert disorder>".   I know depression will be part of the game but that seems easier to model and is perhaps less of a touchy subject :D

I support a variety of mental health being included in the game - it will make it much more interesting, but also as above I would like them as accurately as possible that the game mechanics allow within a fun-based game setting. A lot probably won't work (psychosis would be exceptionally hard to do in a sandbox way).

I really don't think it's offensive to include mental health problems.

... a character have his mood randomly fluctuate from the tiniest things, and you may say you can just take Short Tempered, but I don't really agree because that only makes it easier to become angry and unhappy, and if you would take this trait, it should cancel out the ability to take Short-Tempered or Patient.

This isn't a feature of bipolar - if anything it would be emotionally unstable/borderline personality disorder (the two are often misdiagnosed as each other). Bipolar tend to shift much more slowly in moods, even with rapid cycling, they tend to last longer (days, months, years). You can't be depressed for a couple of hours, for example, that's just a bad mood. States of bipolar can include mania (in type 1), hypomania (type 2) and depression (+ normal). The speed of cycles, frequency and length of these states varies by bipolar type and then by individuals.

Depression is already included in the game (albeit only as a moodle at this stage), so it would just be a case of the state of mania/hypomania.

Sorry to inform you but that isn't in the slightest how schizophrenia works.

If they implement neurotic and psychotic disorders they at least have to make them accurate and variable, as there's an absolute arseload of symptoms a person may or may not have, a bit like how if one person takes propanol in real life they can have any or none of the following side effects:

• fast, slow, or uneven heartbeats;

• feeling light-headed, fainting;

• feeling short of breath, even with mild exertion;

• swelling of your ankles or feet;

• nausea, upper stomach pain, itching, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);

• cold feeling in your hands and feet;

• depression, confusion, hallucinations; or

• severe skin reaction -- fever, sore throat, swelling in your face or tongue, burning in your eyes, skin pain, followed by a red or purple skin rash that spreads (especially in the face or upper body) and causes blistering and peeling.

• nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, constipation, stomach cramps;
    • decreased sex drive,

• sleep problems (insomnia); or

• tired feeling

In the same way, if someone experiences bi-polar they may experience any or none of the following:

• Feeling unusually “high” and optimistic OR extremely irritable
  • Unrealistic, grandiose beliefs about one’s abilities or powers
  • Sleeping very little, but feeling extremely energetic
  • Talking so rapidly that others can’t keep up
  • Racing thoughts; jumping quickly from one idea to the next
  • Highly distractible, unable to concentrate
  • Impaired judgment and impulsiveness
  • Acting recklessly without thinking about the consequences
  • Delusions and hallucinations (in severe cases)
  • Feeling hopeless, sad, or empty.
  • Irritability
  • Inability to experience pleasure
  • Fatigue or loss of energy
  • Appetite or weight changes
  • Sleep problems
  • Concentration and memory problems
  • Feelings of worthlessness or guilt
  • Thoughts of death or suicide
  • Physical and mental sluggishness

I Don't even need to print out the list for schizophrenia, there's at least 50 different symptoms and you only need 4 of the top 10 to qualify. Mind you many of the symptoms can be found in normal people.

tl;dr You're wrong.