Powered by Keifleaf Closed

Keifleaf

The server seemed to reset for me after a couple minutes. It seems to be running a lot better even with a lot of people on. Seen a lot of new people on today too which is always good. Hope to see you on there at some point Keif!

Awesome that it fixed itself a lot of people had said they had to wipe their end to get it updated with that reset issue.

As for the lag, apparently a piece of software I use for my network card was eating at my memory. It bloated to the point where the server was using the 12 gigs I assigned it and this program was using about another 5 or 6 gigs worth of memory,so that was an issue. Got that resolved, and now know how to prevent that should it happen again (event logs galore, have to remember to clear that out since I don't need a few months worth). So I'm guessing that was causing a good portion of the lag or at least I hope that was it since it's fixed now.

Looks like my character got stuck on the server. The game froze when I tried to log out, now I can't reconnect. It says "User already connected". It has been like this for about 15 minutes... I thought it would time out, but no. I'm worried about what will become of my character if it still appears to be in game :/

I've never heard of that happening before. Maybe try logging in with a different name then switching back? Shot in the dark but only other thing I can think of is restarting the server.

I was able to log in with a different name, but my old name is still on the list. Don't know how the character is still alive, but me logging in and out with a new one didn't seem to dislodge him either.

-Edit- Guessing it was the one gsc, tried to log on and admin kick, dont think it worked as it still showed on list.

That's the one. Odd how it just stays there, no matter what...

The bar on the players listing is slightly red too, as if it knows there is an issue, but cant fix it. Once I get home in a few hours I'll give a warning before I try a quick restart. During which I also plan on setting up some admin tools to (hopefully) make my life easier.

So Keif, it pains me to say it but you might need to look at a max pop on the server at one time, the changes to the zombies dosent seem to have effected the lag problems, it seems that it's more the amount of people on the server at any one time that's causing it. I could be wrong maybe it's the amount of dead bodies, but it seems like 4-5 people the sever has a little lag and cell loading acts normal, 8-10 it's a noticeable lag with the way zombies move around and disappear and reappear, and 12+ people and it's almost unplayable, zombies spend more time vanished than the do visible players are super hard to follow cause their position is not being reported back to the other clients at a reasonable rate, cells take forever to load, doubling or tripling the amount of time it takes to travel when your out looting or moving around, my wide died 3 times last night because she would be out walking around and then poof, the game updates the zombies on screen and she's in the middle of a horde.

The people on the sever are really fun to play with but it's a shame that the gameplay it self is being ruined by the in game lag it's just to the point where it's not really enjoy able to play because the response is just so poor.

I'm always having problems with loading map cells. It takes too long or many times they don't load at all.

http://pzwiki.net/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Questions#Q:_I.E2.80.99m_trapped_in_a_server.21_The_map_won.E2.80.99t_load_anymore.2C_what.E2.80.99s_going_on.3F_It_looks_like_a_black_border

I got a pretty good internet connection. Anything you can do about this?

Also, zombies are still lagging/teleporting.

I would like to keep playing on this server, it's been fun. 

Server had crashed, back up now. As for the lag, I have an idea as to what part of the issue may be, but that would require a server reset to fix so I want to try a few other things before I go that route.

Keep at it buddy :), Let me know if/when you get it worked out, in the mean time me and a few of my friends are gonna check out this Bedford server, that map is pretty epic. Looking forward to playing here again though.

I've got one last idea to try and tackle this lag issue, which I'll be trying out much later today. I'll be doing a hard reset and changing the loot amount back down a bit. Hoping that helps even if it means less supplies for the server population. If it doesn't work I have one of two choices really.

1.) Lower the amount of player slots.

or

2.) Say it was a good run and close down.

Let us hope the settings change later will help avoid those...

I'm not certain wether the lag is the servers fault though, I get the same lag in other servers (where you basically can't follow someone because he keeps walking off the map).

I haven't tried a EU server yet (despite being European, I rather play with Americans).

I know it can't all be due to the server, I'm sure some people (one or two at least) are having their own issues and think it's my end causing it. But I'm sure majority of it is the server just unable to handle the current load. Which is why I'm going to try and solve it later, even if we don't need to hard reset yet I need to do it to try the fix, but that wont be for about seven or eight hours from now.

It'd be a shame for you to close it down, but if people are finding it unplayable it's understandable. Had some good times on this server, hope it doesn't come to this, but I see where you're coming from. :)

Hope you'll reconsider bringing it back up. I think the main issue is PZ's multiplayer client simply isn't stable enough. Even when the server isn't lagging at all (chat messages come through instantly, looting is fine, opening doors/windows work), issues with zombies freezing and parts of the map not loading are still there. Hopefully we'll get a more optimized MP release in the future.