How to Administrate a Server

RobertJohnson

Okay, I have to say, setting up admin in this game is one of the most half-baked ways I have seen.

Why not just have a '/adminlogin "adminpassword"' option instead of having to designate every character an admin from another admin character?

It took me 30 minutes to figure out that "admin" was a character name rather than just the password. 

Also, whos brilliant idea was it to have the server console noninteractive?

Why not just have a '/adminlogin "adminpassword"' option instead of having to designate every character an admin from another admin character?

Just because that way you can define more than 1 admin... You can change your password by doing /changepwd "previouspwd" "newpwd" though, look the available commands.

It took me 30 minutes to figure out that "admin" was a character name rather than just the password.

It say "admin" is the default admin username in the OP and when you first create the admin account via the console...

Also, whos brilliant idea was it to have the server console noninteractive?

It may become interactive some day, for now the chat thing is good enough.

And as a reminder, be lovely.

Sorry to bring it up again, but is there any chance a server setting for reload difficulty is planned? It seems like something that should not be left up to clients, or at least servers should have the option to force a particular setting.

Sorry to bring it up again, but is there any chance a server setting for reload difficulty is planned? It seems like something that should not be left up to clients, or at least servers should have the option to force a particular setting.

It is fairly safe to assume that the devs intend to eventually fix all the obvious stuff in MP that doesn't make sense right now, this included.

People sure seem to think they are entitled to being spoiled or something lol.  I'm used to having to script all of these features myself. Speaking of which, are there any details somewhere as to support for server-side scripting? I'd like to start settings up my own admin system if possible with custom commands and events, ect.

Thanks for all the efforts. MP is looking more promising with each update.

@VaiN

I was just curious, as my earlier question was passed over. Also, setting reload difficulty to hardcore does not always work in MP client-side, and seems like it would be an important server-side setting for PvP.

are there any details somewhere as to support for server-side scripting? I'd like to start settings up my own admin system if possible with custom commands and events, ect.

Nope, there's no support for multiplayer modding currently. If you want to figure out something on that front, you'll have to go digging into the game's scripts.

My understanding of server-side scripting doesn't involve any 'modding' per-say. I don't have any interest in modifying the internals of the game directly, I just want to be able to hook into events and interrupt them as needed. Such as locking a player's movement, setting up ranks and custom commands, tracking a player's stats and displaying them on the UI. All of these are things that the dev's shouldn't have to do for us, and scripting would allow us to do.

For example just using the return value of an event function. for example, when a player types in chat. return 0/nil = continue as usual, return 1 = don't display it. With something as basic as that you can customize just about anything without having to change any of the internals.

Of course I didn't expect any modding to be implemented yet, but I didn't find any posts better suited to the discussion.  To me server administration and server-side scripting go hand-in-hand. perhaps I should start a new topic for this?

i got some mods to work.

Do tell which ones. Someone else might want to know too.

My understanding of server-side scripting doesn't involve any 'modding' per-say. I don't have any interest in modifying the internals of the game directly, I just want to be able to hook into events and interrupt them as needed.

The definition of modding I used above includes scripting of any kind, including serverside. You will have to go read the scripts included in the game so you know how the game gets stuff done, to get that same stuff done. And I suspect currently there's plenty of  things you just can't do from the server, because the clients are currently fairly authoritative and many things seem to require explicit synchronization. Good luck nevertheless, and post your findings somewhere :)

If I change some option like "pause when empty" from false to true, which could affect the progress of time in the game,

Do I need to log in as admin and enter the command "reload option"?

If yes, do I need to enter command every time when an existing player joins the server?

I am playing build 25b. Thanks for advice.

If I change some option like "pause when empty" from false to true, which could affect the progress of time in the game,

Do I need to log in as admin and enter the command "reload option"?

If yes, do I need to enter command every time when an existing player joins the server?

I am playing build 25b. Thanks for advice.

If the server is still running when you change the options, then yes, you have to use /reloadOptions, or just reboot the server.

But then it'll affect all players, no needs to do it everytime a player connect, what /reloadOptions do : the server will send every serverOptions to all the client connected, but the server IS updated, so every client who connect to the server will also have the serverOptions (oh god, not sure I'm clear here...)

Hi RJ, fantastic work you've done on this so far!

Me and a few friends have been messing around in MP (thanks for the detailed description in the OP btw, it was really easy to follow) and we're having loads of fun making a huge fort. I'd just finished getting my carpentry to level 4 and died an unfortunate death on a set of stairs :P

Is there a way to increase the XP of a certain skill using the admin commands? We want to continue building but it's a pain in the butt to have to reskill again as it took a while.

Thanks

So, I am an admin on AliceCooper's server.

However, I am the only admin that can't seem to add items (We've gone through everything, I am typing the EXACT same thing as they are... they spawn items, I can't)... and I can't seem to do other things like grant other people admin status.
I can start rain, create hordes etc...

We have no idea why this is, so... any ideas?

This may sound stupid, but I was never prompted for an admin account creation in my launcher when i created a local server. how do I make an admin account for my server? I've tried logging in as a different name like "adminww" and they log-in as a regular user. Thanks in advance. :-)

So with Build26 we are able to start more servers on one machine. I´m testing this right now but got a few questions.

First off, I want to run one server with Dreadwood only, how can I achieve this?

So we can force mods too, how can I set these up?

Will the set max RAM be used for all running serverinstances or for each seperate?

Sorry if someone mentioned this, but how can I get around the admin password prompt every time I run projectzomboid-dedi-server.sh ? It's preventing my server running after restarts/etc, because it always gets stuck on that prompt.

Even after logging in as the admin and using /save, the servertest.db file never adds an admin entry (or is modified in any way at all, even after using /addplayer), and I've also tried adding an admin entry manually with a sqlite3 client, but that hasn't worked so far. I don't want to have to manually type in the admin password EVERY TIME!

See my topic here for more info.

HI. i have been trying to find some answers to questions on hosting my own dedicated server (PC windows 7) is there a way to set up a auto launch on server for when it crashes as i can not attend it 24/7. also i'm confused as where to save zombie count and loot  settings to for the server. lastly a list commands for adding all individual items would be useful as i can not work most of them out.

HI. i have been trying to find some answers to questions on hosting my own dedicated server (PC windows 7) is there a way to set up a auto launch on server for when it crashes as i can not attend it 24/7. also i'm confused as where to save zombie count and loot  settings to for the server. lastly a list commands for adding all individual items would be useful as i can not work most of them out.

Modify the server start .bat so that it loops, for example by adding ":Start" as the first line, and "goto Start" as the last line. Here's a list of the items.

Modify the server start .bat so that it loops, for example by adding ":Start" as the first line, and "goto Start" as the last line. Here's a list of the items.

so it should look like this for it to loop do i need to delete PAUSE line? or put PAUSE in a timer some how so it lodes with out me pressing a key? 

":start"
".\jre64\bin\java.exe" -Xms2048m -Xmx2048m -Djava.library.path=./ -cp lwjgl.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;sqlitejdbc-v056.jar;./ zombie.network.GameServer
PAUSE
"goto start"