How to Administrate a Server

RobertJohnson

not sure how happy i am that admins can spawn items and go invisible and be immortal. :( Worries me that fair play will go straight down the drain

My previous post :

I will also add an serverLog.txt on the server so the host could see what exactly everyone is doing (toggle safety, spawning item, toggle god mod, etc.)

And I think Harakka said it pretty well, if you can't trust the admin, don't go on this server...  You don't need a lot of admin 1 or 2 is enough, we really need that kind of commands (god mod, spawn item...) in certain situation, mainly in RP event I think, that's our main goal for a long time : do anything you want (even if we'll never make it, it's damn too hard :D)

not sure how happy i am that admins can spawn items and go invisible and be immortal. :( Worries me that fair play will go straight down the drain

My previous post :

I will also add an serverLog.txt on the server so the host could see what exactly everyone is doing (toggle safety, spawning item, toggle god mod, etc.)

And I think Harakka said it pretty well, if you can't trust the admin, don't go on this server...  You don't need a lot of admin 1 or 2 is enough, we really need that kind of commands (god mod, spawn item...) in certain situation, mainly in RP event I think, that's our main goal for a long time : do anything you want (even if we'll never make it, it's damn too hard :D)

:)

indeed. Ill hope for the best! I suppose whitelist servers shall be the way to go. Public servers are just gonna be deathmatches with admins spawning guns for their buddies and going around shooting ppl up! BUt i suppose ppl can do whatever they want! :)

My previous post :

Yeah to try and justify these things from an RP perspective. The main thing for me would be that it would allow me to observe players and quality of roleplaying. Say I get a report a player no rp'ing, I would just have to take their word. With stuff like invisibility and god mode, I would be able to observe how the player roleplays then ban them if the report was substantial or not if the report was fraudulent. It's really about the server you go on in the end.

Some servers need these tools more than others.

indeed. Ill hope for the best! I suppose whitelist servers shall be the way to go. Public servers are just gonna be deathmatches with admins spawning guns for their buddies and going around shooting ppl up! BUt i suppose ppl can do whatever they want! :)

Again, if an admin is doing these sort of things then you should just find another server. Some people will abuse the power, some won't. It's all about what server you join. The only way people will (hopefully) learn not to abuse admin powers, is if they see that their playerbase is going away.

I don't see the point for an admin or a player to spawn item to kill everyone in open server, I really don't see the fun in it, but I think that if you said that, it's because some people will do it :)

But I guess that as soon as you figure it out, you'll leave the server...

Edit : Damn, ninja'ed...

PauseEmpty = true // Server continue to update even with no players on it (keep it enabled for farming for example).

#1 So, if it's true, it won't pause when empty? Got a bit confused here, since the option name sounds like it will pause when empty.

#2 Could you look into the possibility of an option for server admins to choose what items new players start with? (maybe farming essentials, water catchers). That way they could actively supply new players with the minimum required to give them a satisfactory experience, even change it when a specific supply is completely out, without the need to reset or manually give away items.

PauseEmpty = true // Server continue to update even with no players on it (keep it enabled for farming for example).

#1 So, if it's true, it won't pause when empty? Got a bit confused here, since the option name sounds like it will pause when empty.

#2 Could you look into the possibility of an option for server admins to choose what items new players start with? (maybe farming essentials, water catchers). That way they could actively supply new players with the minimum required to give them a satisfactory experience, even change it when a specific supply is completely out, without the need to reset or manually give away items.

Damn, I hate your avatar... Never liked this character... :D

#1 : Mmh yeah, I may change it, it wasn't an option at first it was a simple variable i put as an option.. So yeah, PauseWhenEmpty = true mean the server will be paused if no player connected.. Will change and keep you up to date :)

#2 : Yeah, it's almost already coded, a server option with : "SpawnItem" = "Base.Axe, Base.WaterBottleFull" for example (unlimited items possible :)

Regarding differences of server/client versions (I can't remember if it was talked about in this topic) would it not be possible to have in the serveroptions or something where you could indicate the world number and tie a number to a players character and if there is a difference between the server and the client, then reset the clients player folder save... thingy. I mean it means you're not sending information constantly and is just a check done on connect.

I didn't have time to read through the whole thread, so I apologize in advance if this has already been brought up. However, could there be a server option added to force Reload Difficulty to a certain setting? I feel like this should not be a client-side only option.

Something like:

ReloadDifficulty = 1 // set to 2 for normal, 3 for hardcore; forces players to this difficulty

@RobertJohnson

Can we not have SpawnPoint as an array with the ability to store multiple custom spawn points, instead of one spawn points?

Also a command for the admin to go to a spot and type in /addspawnpoint  and it takes the coordinates of that place and adds it to the list of SpawnPoints?.

Just putting it out there as it would make life easier for end user, don't know about the programming part of it :lol:

RJ,

Just wanted to point that the "stoptrain" command kinda ought to be changed to "stoprain".

Unless there are going to be trains in PZ soon, and you can stop them, in which case - keep it the way it is! :)

startrain = Start rain on the serverstoptrain = Stop rain on the server

RJ,

Just wanted to point that the "stoptrain" command kinda ought to be changed to "stoprain".

Unless there are going to be trains in PZ soon, and you can stop them, in which case - keep it the way it is! :)

It's an easter egg command, you run it and a train comes ploughing through the map. :P

RJ,

He's aware of it :)

RJ,

He's aware of it :)

Okay! 'Nuff said.

I like Connall's easter egg idea though... choo-choo!

Oh, Hello there!

First of all: Thanks for these updates for admins! They are very needed on the multiplayer.
What am I saying? Thanks you for all the great work you did (and I'm sure you would do further!) about that great game!

So what am I asking about: There are options for some PvP players, like bans, able/unable PvP, GodMode adn invisible hand of Admin Justice. But what about players who like some extreme numbers of zombie-smashing actions? I mean, would there be options to spawn Zombie/Crowd/Horde in some specific locations?
Like:
-We have a great Safehouse, garden, lots of food and guns and cleared the town from all zombies. What could go wrong?
-Another zombie horde spawned just behind you?
-Braaaaaainzzzz....

Would really like that tool :) .