How to Administrate a Server

RobertJohnson

With regards to the commands listed below, I was wondering if you could explain a bit more about how these meta-events are generated when done by a server admin, instead by of the game.

• chopper = Start the choppers (do noise)
  • gunshot = Start a gunshot (do noise)
  • startrain = Start rain on the server
  • stoptrain = Stop rain on the server

Will gunshots and chopper sounds be centred on a certain location, or randomly placed?

Might the admin be able to specify a location where they are centred, i.e.

/gunshot location rorschach/gunshot location self/gunshot location worldX=38, worldY=23, posX=137, posY=86

And once you've turned the rain on, will it stay on until turned off, or off until turned back on?

Thanks! :)

This sounds are used to migrate hordes around :)

Yes, I totally get that. I've seen horde migrations in action and they are very cool to watch.

Frightening too, if they are wandering past your position! :o

Let me explain it this way: if I fire a gun, the sound it makes is a type of event (not a meta-event, I guess), and zombies will move towards my location if they are within earshot. The same goes for the proper meta-events too, right?

So what I mean is, do meta-events have a central location too?

And, if so, can the locations be chosen, are they selected by the game somehow, or is it just random?

Sorry for all my questions - this has been on my mind for some time, and I'm just very curious! :blush:

Edited by rorschach

Thank you team for adding multiplayer and more server side options for administrators. I cannot wait to get my hands on build 25. :)

I already did get my hands dirty for a few minutes with the new build yesterday or day before, can't recall. It was awesome =D. It disappeared soon after =P

@Developers

The local chat log was such a nice addition, anyway do add the username tag and [local] to the sentence in the log so we can differentiate it from /all chat =]

This sounds are used to migrate hordes around :)

Yes, I totally get that. I've seen horde migrations in action and they are very cool to watch.

Frightening too, if they are wandering past your position! :o

Let me explain it this way: if I fire a gun, the sound it makes is a type of event (not a meta-event, I guess), and zombies will move towards my location if they are within earshot. The same goes for the proper meta-events too, right?

So what I mean is, do meta-events have a central location too?

And, if so, can the locations be chosen, are they selected by the game somehow, or is it just random?

Sorry for all my questions - this has been on my mind for some time, and I'm just very curious! :blush:

Ah ! Yeah, those sound are triggered on a random player, will add more option to trigger them on a selected player etc. ;)

Thank you team for adding multiplayer and more server side options for administrators. I cannot wait to get my hands on build 25. :)

I already did get my hands dirty for a few minutes with the new build yesterday or day before, can't recall. It was awesome =D. It disappeared soon after =P

@Developers

The local chat log was such a nice addition, anyway do add the username tag and [local] to the sentence in the log so we can differentiate it from /all chat =]

/all display the hour ([11:51]), local nope, that's how I differenciate, we really need more ? :(

@Developers

/all display the hour ([11:51]), local nope, that's how I differenciate, we really need more ? :(

The /all shows as this

[Timestamp] [Alias] - [Chat Text]

If i recall correctly.

The local log was doing

[Chat Text]

no time-stamp, no nickname.

I imagine something like this to be a bit more helpful

[Timestamp][G][Alias] - [Chat Text]

[Timestamp][L][Alias] - [Chat Text]

Where G = Global and L = Local.

Just my 2 cents (fedora)

@Developers

Definitely. If a timestamp is too much hassle, please let at least the name of the player display.

Let players rather differentiate by having a tag or a different colour for local chats in the chat window.

Example:

[11:51][RoboGirl]: I need help because I'm help- and defenseless

<local>[11:51][EpicCompanion]: did you read that in chat? Let's ask where she is and get her stuff

<local>[11:51][AdmiralAckbar]: NO! IT'S A TRAP!

[11:52][EpicCompanion]: Where are you?

[11:52][RoboGirl]: I'm near big church, please hurry

<local>[11:51][AdventureCompanion]: I don't trust her, let's not get there D:

________________________________-

Also, it would be cool if it could be a server option to NOT have the usernames displayed above the character - and then neither in local chat if username-display is disabled. This way you would be able to introduce yourself as someone you're not, making RP possibly more interesting, etc.

Pretending to be someone you're not or not wanting to give out your identity would make it more interesting, imho (e.g. arranging a meetup but then sending someone else from your group to be your "Doppelganger").

I don't think that it would have a huge impact on kill-on-sight-behaviour

Very glad these tools are being set up so quick! Great work!

Would it be possible for the admin to have a nickname? I host a server locally for some of my friends, so I will be playing on the admin account in case I need the commands for any reason. It would be nice if my name could still show up as AngryMob, instead of admin. It would also work if there was a way to assign other players admin abilities. I could then just leave the admin account unused, and have myself and some trusted friends act as admins when needed.

Would it be possible for the admin to have a nickname? I host a server locally for some of my friends, so I will be playing on the admin account in case I need the commands for any reason. It would be nice if my name could still show up as AngryMob, instead of admin. It would also work if there was a way to assign other players admin abilities. I could then just leave the admin account unused, and have myself and some trusted friends act as admins when needed.

I believe you can access the world.db file and rename yourself in there.

i3a2hx.png

:)

Holy Hannah, RJ you are on a roll! :D

I believe you can access the world.db file and rename yourself in there.

Yeah, even if that didn't work you could always just grant the nickname of preference admin rights using the base admin rights. So that's another choice I suppose.

Sure, you log as admin, you do :

/adduser username pwd

/grantadmin username

And then you relog with username pwd and it's done, you can create multiple admin on the server.

I don't really like the fact that there is a command /god and /additem ... it will be like in dayz - the biggest "hackers" will be admins..

It is completely trivial for the server admins to do whatever they want. They don't even need commands for it. The commands are just there for convenience of maintenance.

Essentially, if you don't trust the admins of the server you play on, you're better off finding a different server.