The map needs coordinates

SeanBK

index.jpg.c4ec89b884b3f2dd1ec390da83c7b2eb.jpg

What is the point of a map without coordinates? When you play MP you have to share your location with other survivors through radio or whatever. In all my adventures with my people we share location by COUNTING each grid or selecting strategic landmarks. With the coordinates on the map, you can share your location in a lore friendly way. Of course the coordinates and grid have to scale with zoom and all sorts of technical stuff.

4 hours ago, duh7 said:

Ye ofc cos saying "im in WP werehouse near church is sooo problematic".

It is when people don't know where the West Point Church is

Or where West Point is.

Or they know both but don't know how to get to either location from where they are at currently. 

Or it's a place outside of any towns in the wilderness.

Or one of the many farms and cabins. 

Edited by IndustryStandard

I can see why this would be useful, especially for new players and for finding each other in MP.

I would absolutely encourage people to try to learn parts of the map to memory if possible though, as being able to navigate without any assistance is a game changer. It definitely helps in the early days when trying to get set up if you can instantly recognise where you are without a map.

Here's a lore-friendly solution:  in addition to the maps already in the game, add findable military maps that include grid coordinates (using the Military Grid Reference System (MGRS), or an approximation).  These could be simplified -- that is, NOT show details a real MGRS map would that are irrelevant to PZ (e.g., elevation lines).  

This makes sense, because military units operating in the area would definitely have these maps available, and similar maps would be available in outdoor stores. 

These could be found / looted where military / survival / camping gear is found, and could potentially include a large overall map of the play area.  (Note that outdoor stores typically sell U.S. Government Survey maps, which use a different grid system.  But, I can't imagine it would be worth trying to model two entirely separate coordinate systems, so I'd say just use an MGRS-based system.)

I like this idea because I'm not a fan of the overall map function, ONLY because it feels unrealistic (I can't imagine most people carry a giant, detailed map of their entire region in their back pocket all the time).  I always shut the map function off in sandbox settings, and rely on found maps for navigation / annotation.  

HOWEVER, this would be a lot of work to add, and would address one very specific matter only a narrow slice of players would probably use.  So, it feels to me like it might be better as a potential mod.  

Edited by Bullet_Magnate
fixing typos

Here's another potential short-term fix:  there are mods that allow both (1) drawing on the map, and (2) sharing map annotations.   And of course, there are the existing map symbols / notes, plus a bunch of others that can be added with mods, along with the ability to resize map notes and symbols.  

With all this, it should be possible for players (esp in a long-term MP game) to come up with their own rough coordinate system, mark it on a map, and share those annotations. 

Might suffice until something more formal is added or modded into the game ... 

Edited by Bullet_Magnate
fixing typo