Multiplayer Suggestions

MonkeyDrone

Local Chat Window like Global Chat:
A Chat placeholder like the global chat for local chat. If you can see people chatting on screen locally, it should show up in the local chat window.
Preferrably have tabs for the chat, or two seperate windows will do. Currently there exists no chat window for local chat and if you look away for a few seconds, you won't even know if someone said something. It is very very hard to communicated locally compared to global communication currently. This was the biggest roadblock in teamwork currently while running with a crew.

Suggested Item to add:
Walkie Talkies

How do they work?
Seeing as we have 'Global Chat' and I am suggesting a 'Local Chat' window.

Let's say I was at the north end of the town and my friend at the South, another at the East and so on at the West. We wouldn't want to use Global chat to give PVP's the slightest idea on what is going on and nor can we use local chat because we are not near each other. Walkie Talkies should give us the ability to have another chat window through which we can communicate with each other. Hopefully the Walkie Talkies have a weight on 0.0. Just that we need to find them to be able to use them would make it more interesting.

Now that I think about it, we could just have private chat channels password protected as an alternative. But I'm totally sold on the Walkie Talkie idea xD

For the life of me, i had more suggestions after playing last night around 2 AM but I just can't remember it now in the morning xD

Hopefully it will come back to me over time. (tophat)

Totally agree with the local chat window, we need a better chat system and a window who does not disappear everytime :D

The idea of the walkie talkie is great too, we need something to talk in private and distance, so that could be a nice way to do that.

For the password protected i'm not really fan, its not really realistic nor immersive so i don't see it as a good thing for the game.

It's on purpose that the local chat is not logged, you can see what the player say, so it's ok. But I know a lot of people want it to be logged... I may add an option to do so on the next version ;)

About the disapear chat, same thing, it's on purpose, you don't need to always have the chat open, you can also press "tab" to show it.

It's on purpose that the local chat is not logged, you can see what the player say, so it's ok. But I know a lot of people want it to be logged... I may add an option to do so on the next version ;)

About the disapear chat, same thing, it's on purpose, you don't need to always have the chat open, you can also press "tab" to show it.

I really hope the logging is implemented, it is really impossible to stay in a conversation unless your eyes are glue'd to the screen. A few seconds of distraction and you miss stuff. I'm currently sick and have been coughing like mad, it did not help my case on keeping a proper conversation going yesterday.

Thanks for the response Rob. :) I hope you folks do consider that we do have real life distractions keeping our eyes glued to the monitor. :mrgreen:

Life ? Distractions ? Stop speak Chinese jeeze, it's an English forum.

:P

From upcoming MP release (just did it) : Added a LogLocalChat server option, used to log the local chat ("t" key) in all the client chat box.

Who da man? You da man! and sorry mate. I like my coffee more than my tea :P

• 2 weeks later...

What if the "private" walkie talkie chat was on specific frequency, digitized from text to speech on the receiving user(s) end once you are equipped with the device? 

This way it would also give possibility to eavesdrop on other peoples frequencies once you have found the correct frequency and have the required skill level to be able to do this.

The eavesdropping voice could be more clearer from levels one to five with less static noise added to it.

Think that could be an interesting spice for the game to spend time with if done properly.

What if the "private" walkie talkie chat was on specific frequency, digitized from text to speech on the receiving user(s) end once you are equipped with the device? 

This way it would also give possibility to eavesdrop on other peoples frequencies once you have found the correct frequency and have the required skill level to be able to do this.

The eavesdropping voice could be more clearer from levels one to five with less static noise added to it.

Think that could be an interesting spice for the game to spend time with if done properly.

Im elliohow, and I approve of this message.

I concur. I haven't tried this multiplayer business out, but the implications of starting scattered and having to locate other survivors to form groups is compelling. Locking communication to visible/hearing radius via talk/shout or after locating and tuning communicator frequencies (which run on battery) is really really interesting. Consider that you can shout to find people, but the zomboids will hear it too...

Also with better skill level you could apply radio technologies like relay stations to upgrade the radius of the signal and better antennas to receive more clearer signal. And by sabotaging enemy's network you could cripple their operations, assuming that the system actually gives an experience skill benefit for players using it instead of voip services or the local chat.

One example for this radio skill system could be that if you were to receive more xp from it, you would have to repeat preset keywords

(tagged with [ ] in example)in a sentence to your team mates or if you were to lose xp, the enemy's player would have to repeat about it for his team mates.

This way it would kind of balance out the skill system if you weren't able to just brute your way through it to top level.

One conversation example off it could be if a [player 1] on [team A] is looking up for a good spot for a [relay station] in [West Point], the [player 2] of [team A] in [Muldraugh] would have to verify a good clear signal for the [player 1] on [team A] by asking if he can hear him clearly and moving forward until the signal starts to break for. And if by chance, on the opposing side of [team B] a [player 3] hears this, he will gain xp off of it by repeating the tagged words to his [team B] in a short sentence as long as he isin't muted by his team players.