Pneumatic Air Guns

reinhart

This mod adds the multi-pump pneumatic air rifle to the game. I wanted this because the game lacks any silent ranged weapons, and even though there are mods that adds silencers to guns and bows/crossbows, I personally prefer a gun-type weapons that's quieter than silenced guns but have more shot capacity than bows/crossbows - like the pneumatic gun from Metro game series that inspired this.

Air guns can shoot up to 1000+ feet per second, and also go supersonic. They're used in real life to deal with pests; some have been used to down deer; and sometimes even humans, so I thought why not use it to kill zombies as well.

For TLDR just scroll to the bottom for the download link. Below are just more info for people that wants/need it.

HzwOv2i.png

Reloading:This is a pellet-firing 10-shot air rifle that needs pumping (and reloading) every 10 shots, which contributes to the long loading time (longest of all guns from vanilla and mods). If you're on normal or hard mode it takes even longer to load because the loading of the magazine itself takes almost as long (putting small pellets into small magazine). The pumping/reload time and mechanism is balanced for fun and easy reload mode, if you want a harder Zomboid I would assume you'd be on normal/hard mode, where the addition of loading the magazine (which I've made to take longer) would make the whole affair even longer.

Damage: The gun is nearly silent, but usually takes 2 shots to take out a zombie. I figure zombie brains might be more resistant to damage to human brains, in terms of getting hit by a tiny pellet. This is assuming zombies in Zomboid can only be killed by headshots, and since vanilla pistols and shotguns kill in a shot or two, I assume those are headshots and not body shots, therefore shots by an air gun would also be assumed to be headshots.

Fixing: You fix a broken gun by disassembling another pneumatic gun with the screwdriver to obtain parts, and then you use the parts to fix the gun. I've not had a chance to test this, so please let me know if it works, sorry. You should keep the screwdriver.

Distribution: You can find guns and tins of pellets in wardrobes, crates, and all containers in gun store and sheds. You'll be able to find pellets in most counters, but not bar counters (why would a bar have that). Police stations will not have air rifles or pellets. You'll also be able to find items from this mod on zombies (unfortunate survivors who tried to use air rifles in combat). Chances for finding these items should not be high, although it may still come out that way since they're a bunch of low-chance spawns spread across many possible loot containers, therefore distribution may need some more balancing.

Compensating factors: I think all the factors above - the size of the clip, time it takes to reload and damage of the weapon should compensate for the stealthiness of the weapon. It's certainly not something to be used in the heat of combat.

I'm still pondering whether I should up the damage so it'll take 1 shot more often than not, as opposed to 2 shots more often than not, seeing as how it can take down a large animal more resilient than humans.

I've seen this asked by mods before, so I'll say up front that all artwork are original creations (as far as the shape of things can be original), and all sound are from royaly free sources.

Lastly, one disappointing factor is that even though it does have the firing and dry fire sound, I can't figure out how to add a proper air pumping sound. You can specify a sound for when magazines are loaded/loading, but the sound file only plays after the magazine loading animation is complete, which would make the pumping sound out of place. If anyone knows how to implement this properly I would grateful for any tips. Other feedback also welcome (but I'm under no obligation to oblige them).

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/5c9qxygklncjc7f/RMPneumatic1.1.1.rar

Changelog:

v1.0 2014-02-17

Initial Release

v1.1 2014-02-18

Changelog added.

Tweaked distribution file and fixed a bug that might be preventing items from the mod to spawn.

Support should now be added for NecroForge, thanks to rorschach.

v1.1.1 2014-02-19

Fixed inability to disassemble pneumatic gun into gun parts.

Credits:

The Indie Stone - for Zomboid

RoboMat - for mod install instructions

JJStorm - for the gun sprite

Reinhart Menken aka reinhart aka me - for the other sprites

People that uploaded free sound bytes I've used for the pneumatic air gun sound effects

ps. If you have current game in progress, or just want to cheat, I've created a cheat button. Just press T and F1 for a couple pneumatic rifles and tins of pellets.

Yeah i am had to gey wood for fuel and practice some archery for huntung. I dont know man is weird... I got the generator working and my friend said he saw two guys fight each other for no reason, apparently there was a lot of blood... im getting ready...

Yeah i am had to gey wood for fuel and practice some archery for huntung. I dont know man is weird... I got the generator working and my friend said he saw two guys fight each other for no reason, apparently there was a lot of blood... im getting ready...

Your profile says you live in Thatcham, that's next to Newbury, isn't it?

I grew up near Southampton - what's going on over there in Blighty that's making people fight each other for no reason?!

Has the zombie apocalypse already begun there?

Yeah i do, im in newbury right now looking to see whats up, its not good... its a ghost town man! Im gonna grab all my supplies now and get a power converter for car batteries, i need food!

Bloody heck! Are those floods still wreaking havoc? I thought all that was over... or is this something else entirely?

Its something different, its something... something not from this world... but hey i got power back an hour ago which is great, the military must have it under control, i think???

It doesn't seem to be reported by BBC on their website, all I can see are flood articles.

Do you have raw sewage in YOUR garden? Yum.

Edited by rorschach

• 1 year later...

LOL this is why my names pz-NOOB xD is there any kind of air rifle mod for build 31? (BTW most air rifles ARE loud and are not very close to "silent" unless they are suppressed and a clip air rifle would be a bolt action gas powered rifle it would be nice if you had to find a gas tank to fill it up when its running low)