Please, let us bang two regular stones togheter to make chipped stone.

Ridick

1 hour ago, duh7 said:

But what is the problem? U can do it without any modifications. Im not even sure if u need 2 stones to do that.

I couldn't find the option to do that on the crafting menu or on the right click menu when clicking on the stones. Maybe I'm stupid and the option is somewhere else though. :/

8 hours ago, Ridick said:

PLEASE, LET US BANG TWO REGULAR STONES TOGHETER TO MAKE CHIPPED STONE. :(

This is an interesting idea. It would be nice if the developers paid attention to this.
Sharp stones are needed in large quantities, and an ordinary stone is needed only once to create a hammer, and then only if the player decides to survive in the wilderness.

On 8/4/2022 at 7:53 PM, duh7 said:

But what is the problem? U can do it without any modifications. Im not even sure if u need 2 stones to do that.

So, I have taken a more throughout look at the crafting tree and can confirm that there is no recipe to chip a stone, the wiki also confirms this by listing direct foraging as the only source of chipped stones.

34 minutes ago, Ridick said:

So, I have taken a more throughout look at the crafting tree and can confirm that there is no recipe to chip a stone, the wiki also confirms this by listing direct foraging as the only source of chipped stones.

The wiki is almost never up to date but that being said, my game is heavily modded and I do have the ability to make chipped stones. After some looking around through files, this mod: "Viperel's Recycling Center" adds a lot of quality of life stuff to the game for survival.

Do I think that we should have to install mods for quality of life things? No, definitely not. I like what they did with towing by contacting the mod owner and adding it to the game. They should do more of that, look at the top used mods and implement them with the modders. So +1 for chipped stones at the very very least.

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, Zombiologist said:

I find it odd that you actually have to find a sharp stone as most primitive survivalists make sharps stone axes from existing smooth stones.

Here's how John Plant does it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN-34JfUrHY

You can also make rope from grass but that's not in the game either sadly.

Edited by Drakkar77

29 minutes ago, Drakkar77 said:

You can also make rope from grass but that's not in the game either sadly.

In my experience grass rope can work but it isn't an ideal cordage material. Most survivalists prefer ropes and cordage made from stinging nettle fibers, which takes skill to harvest correctly due to the needles or you can just wear gloves but is much stronger. Hemp also makes a good rope but you don't normally find that growing wild in most places. The cordage should also be treated with pine tar which can be made in the woods if you had to, otherwise I find it rots too quickly under most uses. You can also make sewing needles from bones or wild cactus, which do grow native in the Louisville area in the forests. Bandages can also be made from petemoss which is plentiful in damp forested areas. In a pinch one can also use vines or roots for ropes which depending on the species, width, and age can actually make a pretty good rope.

Edited by Zombiologist

I think maybe the idea of finding chipped stone comes down to the fact that finding large pieces of flint is pretty hard to do nowadays, so doing actual flint napping is nearly impossible now

That being said, I think there are still some stones that can chip into sharp pieces like quartz, so it would be nice to have this skill

There are a couple of primitive skills that it would be cool to see fleshed out. Like for example, it shouldn't require a saw to make planks for notched planks for a bow drill set, it would be nice if you could split logs with an axe into planks, if maybe less than you could make with a saw, like maybe only 2 instead of 3. Then just use a carved stake from a tree branch to make fire with the notched plank instead of a sturdy stick

Also, yeah, I love the idea of making natural cordage like twine from plant fiber. You could make it so using the "remove grass" command automatically adds plant fiber or something to your inventory the same way digging with a trowel gives you worms, then you could use that plant fiber to make twine, then use twine to make ropes. Then maybe be able to use cordage along with a bunch of tree branches and plant fiber to make primitive shelters as an alternative to the tent for sleeping in the wild

Edited by knightshousegames

9 minutes ago, knightshousegames said:

I think maybe the idea of finding chipped stone comes down to the fact that finding large pieces of flint is pretty hard to do nowadays, so doing actual flint napping is nearly impossible now

Though flint is ideal for making sharp stones and doubles as a fire starter you don't actually need to use flint at all. Once you do the knapping you simple grind down the stone the rest of the way until it is sufficiently sharp. This can be done with other rocks and course sand. The materials you can find near any common river, creek, or stream should be plenty to get the job done.

8 hours ago, Zombiologist said:

In my experience grass rope can work but it isn't an ideal cordage material. Most survivalists prefer ropes and cordage made from stinging nettle fibers, which takes skill to harvest correctly due to the needles or you can just wear gloves but is much stronger. Hemp also makes a good rope but you don't normally find that growing wild in most places. The cordage should also be treated with pine tar which can be made in the woods if you had to, otherwise I find it rots too quickly under most uses. You can also make sewing needles from bones or wild cactus, which do grow native in the Louisville area in the forests. Bandages can also be made from petemoss which is plentiful in damp forested areas. In a pinch one can also use vines or roots for ropes which depending on the species, width, and age can actually make a pretty good rope.

Your user name and acquired knowledge is epic, sir. :)

Regarding the OP’s suggestion: it is a reasonable idea to implement as a mechanic. TL;DR: “yes!”

Edited by BddBlade