Falling Skies (Crashed Aircrafts)

playwars

Topic Poll  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see this in Project Zomboid ?

• Oh hell yes !
    • No, I'd rather not.
    • Yes, but I believe this would require some modifications (don't hesitate to comment about them !)

I've always like the principle in the old DayZ mod of the crashed helicopters, and I'd love to see Project Zomboid have some crashed aircrafts. After all, even if flights have been banned and a no fly zone installed, we do still get stalked by a helicopter during the game, and I doubt the military would stop reconnaissance or air resupply missions, and as the situation deteriorate attempt evacuations and even outright bombing runs.

This suggestion is written like a wiki article as it is easier for me to formulate it that way.

These are linked to various metagame events in my More Metagame Events suggestion.

Crashed transport plane :

The wreck of a large transport plane  -possibly a C-130 Hercules although only an aeronautics afficionado could tell for sure given the state of the plane- can be found north of Muldraugh. The aircraft seemed to have attempted an emergency landing in the fields for unknown reasons, which failed catastrophically. The aircraft's wreck is spread over hundred of meters, having left a trail of debris and destruction in its crash. The crash has attracted a significant amount of zombies, and even long after the event, the infected still linger in the surrounding zone, making it a higher density zone than normal. The wreck contains several interesting loot, in particular several intact crates can be found in the debris, some containing food, and a handful containing medical supplies. Various bits of scraps and parts can also be salvaged near what remains of the engines, and there is an arms locker near the remains of the cockpit. Beware however that there is a small chance that military zombies will spawn near the cockpit.

Landed Cessna :

A cessna 402 twin engine transport plane is landed at the abandoned airfield south of valley station. Despite not having technically crashed, the airplane is inoperable, the reason which is evident by the abundance of corpses strewn around it. It seemed that a pilot and some associates violated the exclusion zone, and were subsequently overrun by the infected after landing. Given the state of the cessna's engines and front, it appears the plane plowed through several infected when landing, destroying its engines. Several melee weapons such as baseball bats and fireman axes can be recovered here, presumably the weapons packed by the plane's occupants and perhaps even survivors who attempted to reach the plane.

Reconnaissance plane wreck :

A crashed U-2 spy plane can be found south of riverside, in the woods between riverside and doe valley. It appeared to have been headed straight back from the secret military base near Rosewood, but crashed for unknown reason. The wreck itself has a small number of infected around it, but it has a significant chance to spawn a handful of military zombies, and the wreck of the plane is a good source of scraps and salvaged materials.

Crashed news helicopter :

Presumably the helicopter from the helicopter metagame event, the crashed news helicopter is located east of riverside, next to the river. It is haunted by a fair amount of infected pulled from the city by the commotion, and the wreck itself has a fair amount of batteries and electronics equipment, although it is otherwise unremarkable in terms of loot.

Crashed military helicopter :

A crashed helicopter, presumably a CH-47 chinook, can be found just north of the military homes embedded into the exclusion zone, having crashed into Louisville's suburbs. The wreck has a high chance of having military zombies spawn nearby, and several vehicles are stopped nearby, indicating that people either rushed the wreck to loot it, and never made it out, or attempted to aid or seek the protection of the soldiers there. The wreck has a few crates that can contain weapons and ammunition, but not much else.

Crashed bomber :

A crashed B-2 Spirit bomber (as far as anyone can tell from what's left of it) can be found south east of Louisville. The 'wreck' is truly more a collection of scrap metals and parts of a wing with an engine still attached, the plane having presumably crashed with its full bomb payload and subsequently detonated. The area has a few scraps, but is otherwise unremarkable except for the high zombie concentration due to the stupendous cacophony caused by the plane's payload detonating. Presumably the aircraft was slated to destroy Louisville's bridge, but it is impossible to tell.

Edited by playwars

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This sounds great! For the crashed cargo plane why not go all the way and have it be a C-5 Galaxy. There could be a few destroyed military vehicles scattered in the wreckage as well. I'm also imagining making a base inside of a plane that large if this idea is ever put into the game.