Building won't work?

Kerilynne

Question

So my game updated to the new beta build, 23, which is fine! Everything seemed to be working properly. When I tried to build a wall, however, there was no see-through "guide", and on my screen appeared:

Left Rorate                                                                       Right Rorate

When I tried to build something else (ANYTHING else), it automatically placed the guide somewhere and began building.

I loaded an older save (version 17) in which I knew building had worked, it updated to the new version, and bam... same thing happened. I can't build anything! :(

Please help, this is a tough game to survive when you can't build.

(Barricading works fine, at least :P)

18 answers to this question

Hey guys! Sorry for the late reply!!

I uninstalled my wacom driver (I'd rather play PZ than use my tablet, as I'm not in the middle of a work project right now) and building walls works, as far as I can tell. For now.

It seems to be completely ignoring my external mouse.

I hope a fix comes out soon for the people who can't uninstall their drivers (keyboard o_o), and thanks everyone for the quick and helpful replies. :3

I don't have any controller connected.

I have software for a Wacom tablet installed on my computer, but I've not plugged it in inbetween the last time I played the game (when it worked, which was yesterday) and today when I started the game.

A clean re-install didn't solve it, either... I seem to have bad luck with games :P

After a LOT of scrolling :P I found the joypad section, which was the closest I could find to what you'd said, and it's referencing the Wacom Driver, but I don't have my tablet plugged in and I haven't recently at all. Any ideas how to fix this without uninstalling the driver??

I'm having the same problem. It is only when trying to build walls, not other objects; although once you try to build a wall, the rest of building won't work either.

Here's what the console keeps spamming:

STACK TRACE-------------------------------------------------function: haveMaterial -- file: ISBuildingObject.lua line # 200function: DoTileBuilding -- file: ISBuildingObject.lua line # 142function: DoTileBuildingJoyPad -- file: ISBuildingObject.lua line # 425attempted index: modData of non-table: null

Once the "attempted index: modData of non-table: null" shows up it starts again.

Sidenote: I should also mention I am on build 23 in case it wasn't obvious. ;)

EDIT: Next to Joypad it is listing my Razer Lycosa (keyboard). Not sure if that's exactly what you were asking about a controller, but I don't have another controller attached.

You may be able to temporarily fix this by deleting your users/username/zomboid folder. Note that that will delete all your saves, so try it at your own risk. If you want to salvage your saves you can drag them out onto the desktop and replace them later. Not sure if this will work or not but it's worth a shot.

Ah, thanks a lot for the logs Zanzabar ! WIll fix it for the next update (dunno if we'll make a quick release)

Glad it helped. :)

You may be able to temporarily fix this by deleting your users/username/zomboid folder. Note that that will delete all your saves, so try it at your own risk. If you want to salvage your saves you can drag them out onto the desktop and replace them later. Not sure if this will work or not but it's worth a shot.

I tried it but it didn't work for me. Thanks for the suggestion though. :)

Yeah i got the same problem, can't build wooden walls, but everything else seems to work.

I get the same log as Zanzabarr:

STACK TRACE-------------------------------------------------function: haveMaterial -- file: ISBuildingObject.lua line # 200function: DoTileBuilding -- file: ISBuildingObject.lua line # 142function: DoTileBuildingJoyPad -- file: ISBuildingObject.lua line # 425attempted index: modData of non-table: null

I tried to uninstall my wacom tablet but it didn't seem to work. 

Edit: I had a Steelseries sound card driver that I disconnected, now it seems like I can build walls again.

Hi guys I am having the same issue with the stack trace outputs when attempting to build wooden walls.  

edit:  Build 24 (onlinetest) solves this issue.  If you want to migrate the fix, copy the build24 ISBuildMenu.lua 

Hey guys, excuse my ignorance, but I can only find one copy of ISBuildMenu.lua. 

Hi guys I am having the same issue with the stack trace outputs when attempting to build wooden walls.  

edit:  Build 24 (onlinetest) solves this issue.  If you want to migrate the fix, copy the build24 ISBuildMenu.lua 

Where can I find the build 24 version of this file?

Set your game to onlinetest for beta test and let the game update.  It will download the Build 24 files.  Now copy the ISBuildMenu.lua file to a safe location.  Revert to Build 23 and copy over the .lua file.

Set your game to onlinetest for beta test and let the game update.  It will download the Build 24 files.  Now copy the ISBuildMenu.lua file to a safe location.  Revert to Build 23 and copy over the .lua file.

Thanks very much, I will give this a shot. I always wondered why it kept downloading...