Bullet_Magnate

Eye Injuries

Posted (edited)

Seems logical that injuries to the face, particularly scratches and lacerations, might injure an eye.  So far as I know, this is not something that currently exists in-game.  

Effects could include loss of accuracy, and reduction of range / field of vision, or even blindness if both eyes are injured badly enough. 

This could also give added value to things like safety glasses and welder masks, which could reduce the chance of such injuries.  

Such injuries could also become permanent to an extent, which is a separate subject likely meriting its own thread ... 

Edited by Bullet_Magnate
fixing typo

Right! Heart attacks, herpies, fever, numbness, rabies, HIV, schizophrenia no reason not to add these and so on, I mean you're just an average Kentuckian in 1993 prone to anything and everything.

This is just my sarcastic respone to a silly idea of micromenagment among MANY other things that we don't really need nor want, but could be great or just as RP mehanic in a form of a mod like defecation mod. In general this would only annoying for people and by the first month those who don't get infected will be blind as bats.

You should think about how you respond to ideas of other people in this thread. No problem with criticism or counterarguments if they are respectful.

Why would this be micromanagement? You wouldn't have to do anything. You get injured in the face and if you got bad luck your eye is broken and you lose some of your field of vision or get a "bad sight trait".

Posted (edited)
On 7/27/2022 at 8:40 AM, Bullet_Magnate said:

Seems logical that injuries to the face, particularly scratches and lacerations, might injure an eye.  So far as I know, this is not something that currently exists in-game.  

Effects could include loss of accuracy, and reduction of range / field of vision, or even blindness if both eyes are injured badly enough. 

This could also give added value to things like safety glasses and welder masks, which could reduce the chance of such injuries.  

Such injuries could also become permanent to an extent, which is a separate subject likely meriting its own thread ... 

It's an interesting idea. I don't know how it would fit in the scope of the game though. I'm almost positive that the devs are planning on adding more complexity to the first aid system, perhaps that will be enough to scratch the itch you're looking for?

On 8/6/2022 at 1:11 PM, Irken Empire said:

Right! Heart attacks, herpies, fever, numbness, rabies, HIV, schizophrenia no reason not to add these and so on, I mean you're just an average Kentuckian in 1993 prone to anything and everything.

This is just my sarcastic respone to a silly idea of micromenagment among MANY other things that we don't really need nor want, but could be great or just as RP mehanic in a form of a mod like defecation mod. In general this would only annoying for people and by the first month those who don't get infected will be blind as bats.

Very unnecessary commentary. Get some sleep.

Edited by orikamii

I'm almost positive that the devs are planning on adding more complexity to the first aid system, perhaps that will be enough to scratch the itch you're looking for?

Hoping so.  Since the intent of the game (as I understand it) is to be as realistic as reasonably possible, I'm hoping the medical system is expanded to include more types of significant injuries that survivors would be likely to suffer.  Eye injuries would be a real possibility, if having zombies claw at your face became a routine event.  

This is just my sarcastic respone to a silly idea

Okay.  

Edited by Bullet_Magnate
De-Snarkifying

Great idea. Stuff like that make some proffesion more viable. 

On 8/6/2022 at 6:11 PM, Irken Empire said:

This is a survival game and fighting with injured eye is realistic.  Ur sarcastic proposition are Great for a game like PZ it give variety of diffrent moodles, sicknes or injured that players will need treat diffrently. 

On 8/14/2022 at 2:10 PM, duh7 said:

Great idea. Stuff like that make some proffesion more viable. 

This is a survival game and fighting with injured eye is realistic.  Ur sarcastic proposition are Great for a game like PZ it give variety of diffrent moodles, sicknes or injured that players will need treat diffrently. 

Actually, I agree least one of the items listed in the response, though meant facetiously, is worth considering -- and some of them (surprise) already exist in the game to an extent.  

Heart attacks, herpies, fever, numbness, rabies, HIV, schizophrenia

HIV and herpes are obvious "no's," considering the devs have made clear sex will not be simulated in the game in any way.  Schizophrenia is rare and complex enough that I doubt it's worth the effort of simulating (though, perhaps unsurprisingly, there is a mod for that).  

BUT ... fever already exists in-game, in that if a player gets sick (with the Knox virus or otherwise), his temperature can elevate.  Numbness is also at least implied when the character's body temperature drops.  I'm assuming there's some negative gameplay effect from being chilled, which in effect would simulate stiffness / numbness and other debilitating effects of cold.  

That leaves heart attacks and rabies.    

Since the intent of the game (as I understand it) is to be as realistic as reasonably possible, I'm hoping the medical system is expanded to include more types of significant injuries that survivors would be likely to suffer.  

The above quote sums up my position on medical stuff generally in the game.  Expressed in more detail, if a medical condition is: 

(1) Something a person in a PZ scenario would have a realistic chance of suffering, and

(2) It would have meaningful gameplay effect (i.e., cause significant health reduction and/or palpably impair the sufferer in some way), and

(3) It can be well and playably simulated without inordinate work on the devs' part; and

(4) There are no contrary considerations of ethics, propriety, etc., that militate in favor of exclusion (as with, e.g., things sexual and/or scatological); THEN

(5) It should be CONSIDERED (however briefly) for inclusion.  

NOTE that this is just my standard for when a medical condition should be CONSIDERED -- that is, when I basically think it's worth the devs' time to at least THINK for a few minutes about whether it's worth including.  As far as I'm concerned, that's the whole purpose of the "PZ Suggestions" forum.  

I think heart attacks meet this standard, while rabies does not.  

Heart Attacks:  Clearly, people in a PZ scenario could easily suffer heart attacks, particularly if they are older, overweight, out of shape, etc. (factors already reasonably contemplated by certain negative traits -- and potentially a new trait, "Heart Condition," could be added).  Heart disease is already common in the U.S. (particularly in ... you guessed it ... Kentucky), and heart attacks would be even more common in a PZ scenario (as susceptible persons are forced by circumstance to rapidly engage in an unaccustomed degree of physical exertion under extreme stress).  A character suffering a heart attack would clearly incur potential injury (or death) and impairment.  Attacks would actually be far more dangerous in a PZ scenario due to lack of available medical care.  Heart attacks could be simulated relatively easily by giving severely overweight / unfit characters a small chance of suffering an attack during periods of high exertion / stress, which would result in immediate severe pain followed by death in minutes / hours (unless mitigated with rest and/or appropriate medication).  There are no overriding concerns warranting exclusion.  Accordingly, I believe heart attacks should at least potentially be considered for inclusion.  

Rabies:  The devs are planning to add animals, including carnivorous and omnivorous mammals -- which theoretically could be vectors for rabies.  Rabies has significant physical symptoms and, left untreated (likely in PZ), is virtually always fatal, typically within 2-10 days of manifestation.  Currently, however, rabies in the U.S. is relatively rare: each year only about 45,000 people in the entire U.S. (about 900 per state) are treated for it, and fatalities are virtually nonexistent due to ready availability of treatment.  This is in part due to aggressive pet vaccination programs in the United States.  In the rest of the world, domestic dogs are the primary vector, while in the U.S., it is various small wild mammals (with bats and skunks being the most common infectors in Kentucky).  Vaccination programs would obviously cease in a PZ scenario, but it is unclear how soon wild dogs and similar animals would become a significant infection threat.  Presumably simulating rabies-infecting bites by other small, wild animals would simply amount to blatant "death by RNG."  Rabid animals become erratic and aggressive, which makes them more of a potential threat to players -- BUT would also require changes to the animal AI model as well.  Simulating the severe mental symptoms and complex treatment of victims would be challenging; these aspects might have to be simplified or omitted.  There are no overriding concerns that would warrant exclusion.  However, given its relative rarity and the complexity of simulating (1) its behavioral changes in animals and (2) its symptoms and treatment in humans, I do not believe rabies should be considered for inclusion.  (In addition, from a gameplay perspective, it might seem odd to have a second blood/saliva transmitted fatal disease "competing," in a way, with the Knox Virus.)

Edited by Bullet_Magnate
fixing typos