Martial Arts?

Vini

Hello, there guys!  

I'm a martial arts enthusiast and I was thinking about how some people could use it as a nice advantage in the game. Aspects like movement, precision and power would be considerably enhanced in close combat situations (especially if we are talking about a black belt or even a teacher). 

I think it'd be a fun trait  to see in PZ, although it would probably be quite hard to add this trait and it'd obviously be expensive.

Thanks for the attention!

Agree ... I definitely wish they'd add more to the unarmed combat beyond "the old shove and stomp." 

There are some potentially interesting (and maybe not super obvious) implications, too, like ... what happens when you punch a zombie in the face with an unprotected hand?  You could easily get a self-inflicted scratch or laceration on your hand from the zed's teeth (or the zed might just grab your wrist and bite your hand or arm).  I suspect that kicks, sweeps, and takedowns would be more valuable than hand strikes, since they're inherently less likely to put your appendages near the "bitey end" ... 

Maybe there could be (1) an overall Unarmed skill that gives a bonus to hit chance and damage with strikes that anyone can do (punch/shove/basic kick), and (2) magazines that allow you to learn specific techniques (like sweeps or takedowns) that you can do once you have a high enough overall Unarmed skill level.  

Yeah I think punches and kicks could be risky (and also very hard to add into the game) but precision and movement while fighting could be sharp from day 1. A front kick to the chest would be just beautiful to see in this game (I'd literally do it all the time if I were in PV lol). 

Another drawback would be the fact that meele weapons would surely break faster since your character's attack power would be significantly more damaging.

In theory you could learn a little bit about combat skills with books and VHS tapes, but of course you wouldn't be able to reach black belt level without years of practice.

CkjOY8LVEAASp65.jpg

3 hours ago, Vini said:

Another drawback would be the fact that meele weapons would surely break faster since your character's attack power would be significantly more damaging.

You know, it might actually be that really high levels of skill would reduce weapon breakage, since the character would have the knowledge and precision to strike in a way that plays to the structural strengths of the weapon rather than its weaknesses (like, say, trying to thrust with a staff or spear whenever possible instead of swinging it) ... interesting idea, either way.  

Edited by Bullet_Magnate
fixing typo

Well I think if we're talking about sharp meele weapons it would make sense. I'd never swing a spear against my enemy's body if I knew Kenjutsu for example... But if we're talking about baseball bats or crowbars, there's no way we could inflict more damage than an experienced trained martial artist. 

I also noticed that whenever you turn 180º to hit a zombie behind you, your chances of missing are fairly high (which makes sense). That kind of move wouldn't be a problem for someone who has had 10 years+ of combat experience.

I understand that this might be way too hard to add in PZ, but I think it'd be fun to play somewhat like Jesus from TWD haha.

Edited by Vini

21 minutes ago, Bullet_Magnate said:

Yeah, literally the only reason I mention that is because the player in PZ swings / cuts with spears sometimes, which is a little odd ...     : )

The animation of cutting for a spear in the game is justified by the fact that you can attach, for example, a knife or a machete to the spear.

OffitMan   This guy tried to do the Ura Mawashi Geri. This is quite hard to do perfectly (even when training with punching bags). A front kick against the body, like I said before, would be safer and more efficient than pushing the zeds (it even takes less energy tbh).

smooth-kick.gif Anderson Silva Face Kick GIFs | Tenor

Safer with a booted foot than with your hand(s), I suppose ...

Yep. Although if you tried to do it barefoot you'd be probably dead in minutes. Thinking about it, I think the only advantage would be the ability to perform takedowns without weapons. It's fancy, but not as effective as an officer with a gun.

On 7/29/2022 at 4:50 PM, Vini said:

OffitMan   This guy tried to do the Ura Mawashi Geri. This is quite hard to do perfectly (even when training with punching bags). A front kick against the body, like I said before, would be safer and more efficient than pushing the zeds (it even takes less energy tbh).

It was just a joke and not meant to be deep but thanks for providing the expected response.

um-actually-meme.jpeg

9 hours ago, OffitMan said:

It was just a joke and not meant to be deep but thanks for providing the expected response.

um-actually-meme.jpeg

Lol but your opinion was legit! A newbie who studied martial arts for 1 year or less would totally SUCK! I think this type of trait could only be realistic if your character was a teacher.

On 7/25/2022 at 5:30 PM, Bullet_Magnate said:

Agree ... I definitely wish they'd add more to the unarmed combat beyond "the old shove and stomp." 

There are some potentially interesting (and maybe not super obvious) implications, too, like ... what happens when you punch a zombie in the face with an unprotected hand?  You could easily get a self-inflicted scratch or laceration on your hand from the zed's teeth (or the zed might just grab your wrist and bite your hand or arm).  I suspect that kicks, sweeps, and takedowns would be more valuable than hand strikes, since they're inherently less likely to put your appendages near the "bitey end" ... 

Maybe there could be (1) an overall Unarmed skill that gives a bonus to hit chance and damage with strikes that anyone can do (punch/shove/basic kick), and (2) magazines that allow you to learn specific techniques (like sweeps or takedowns) that you can do once you have a high enough overall Unarmed skill level.  

technically you could punch zombies effectively with steel knuckles and even break their jaws and additionaly cover hands with for example welding gloves to protect them but considering how close you would have to come to them it would be too risky

• 4 weeks later...

I think martial arts or even just raw punches and kicks would be a great addition to the game!

I mean you have your arm and legs by default so having them as weapons should always be an option!

For punches you could simply hit the right mouse button if they zombie wasn't close enough to require a shove.

For kicks you could rapidly hit the right mouse button.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/30/2022 at 2:53 PM, Nowthere27 said:

For punches you could simply hit the right mouse button if they zombie wasn't close enough to require a shove.

For kicks you could rapidly hit the right mouse button.

Yeah, but I really don't know if all variations of characters would be able to do this type of move though... Maybe this type of attack should be used by characters who possess a specific trait. Like @OffitMan said, people who are not well trained could screw up and die horribly. I've been to some dojos and saw people getting hurt while training alone lol   

smooth-kick.gif

Edited by Vini