[41.72] Buildings reset upon reloading

The Boominator

I am 6 days and 13 hours into my 41.72 (unstable) playthrough and I am playing on all default survivor difficulty settings except that I have zombie respawning disabled (personal preference). I went to bed last night (in real life) and got back onto my world this afternoon to find a zombie right on top of me (about 5 steps away) in my base. This is literally impossible because (A) I've spent every night in my base so far, so even if respawning weren't disabled, it should not have respawned there and (B) my base is secured by two sets of doors (both of which were closed) and no zombie followed me into my base when I logged off. All windows were barricaded and undisturbed, too. My character killed it without issue, but it was unnerving. I then went to check the other buildings in my development and found that one home that I have previously entered at least half a dozen times had a house alarm go off (there had been no alarm when previously entering it) and the building next to it had a zombie in the bathroom as well. I had looted that bathroom and I know that zombie was not previously in there. No items have disappeared (that I have noticed), all of my player-built structures are still there, and no new items have spawned. It does not appear as though any zombies have respawned elsewhere in the world, outside of buildings. Strangely, none of the buildings' locks reset, so I was able to enter all of them through the front door, though as I mentioned this did set off a house alarm in one instance.

I have logged off of this world two or three times before without any such issues, so this is the first time it happened. Not really game-breaking, but the potential for a house alarm to go off in a building I had previously cleared does pose a danger. Zombies respawning on top of my character is not ideal, either.

Edit: I have managed to trigger another house alarm in a previously cleared building, so this is not an issue localized to my base.

Edited by The Boominator
Update with further information/clarity

41 minutes ago, Yana M.D. said:

Does this happen only in Survivor mode? Do you have any mods enabled by any chance? 

I do not have any mods enabled and I'm not sure what conditions could cause it to happen since it has only happened once thus far. I've reloaded my save twice since this happened and the issue did not come up again, so it seems like a fluke. That doesn't mean the problem won't happen to other people, though. I noticed STUCKOV had a similar complaint in his bug report, so it seems to be happening to multiple people, but the timing seems rather odd. 

I did just notice that the game had an update at 1:15 pm (my time zone), 6 minutes AFTER I made this post. I suspected that perhaps rolling my game over to a new build would mess with the save file, but since this occurred before the update, I'm going to rule that out. Maybe just a coincidence. 

The Boominator. Are you sure your on patch 41.72? Since it sound horrifying. 

It sounds exactly like a other bug report Stuckov made around the same time as you. But on patch 41.73.

[41.73] ZOMBIE SPAWN BAG

Without you knowing did the game update to 41.73? If so it is simply the same bug. Please check if it is actually 41.73 being the problem and you just missed the update being pushed on you. Zombies are going to Zomb. You do not get away from them even if you ask nicely ;>

I've had this too, I've also seen it happen on a stream (Mr Lamprey), and I think Retanaru mentioned it on one of his streams.

I assume it's related to the map changes, as it doesn't usually happen when there's an update - but .72 & .73 have both made map changes.

I've also seen this happen in the past when a modded map was updated, someone loaded their game and their base was full of zeds.

On 7/18/2022 at 10:09 AM, The Boominator said:

I am 6 days and 13 hours into my 41.72 (unstable) playthrough and I am playing on all default survivor difficulty settings except that I have zombie respawning disabled (personal preference). I went to bed last night (in real life) and got back onto my world this afternoon to find a zombie right on top of me (about 5 steps away) in my base. This is literally impossible because (A) I've spent every night in my base so far, so even if respawning weren't disabled, it should not have respawned there and (B) my base is secured by two sets of doors (both of which were closed) and no zombie followed me into my base when I logged off. All windows were barricaded and undisturbed, too. My character killed it without issue, but it was unnerving. I then went to check the other buildings in my development and found that one home that I have previously entered at least half a dozen times had a house alarm go off (there had been no alarm when previously entering it) and the building next to it had a zombie in the bathroom as well. I had looted that bathroom and I know that zombie was not previously in there. No items have disappeared (that I have noticed), all of my player-built structures are still there, and no new items have spawned. It does not appear as though any zombies have respawned elsewhere in the world, outside of buildings. Strangely, none of the buildings' locks reset, so I was able to enter all of them through the front door, though as I mentioned this did set off a house alarm in one instance.

I have logged off of this world two or three times before without any such issues, so this is the first time it happened. Not really game-breaking, but the potential for a house alarm to go off in a building I had previously cleared does pose a danger. Zombies respawning on top of my character is not ideal, either.

Edit: I have managed to trigger another house alarm in a previously cleared building, so this is not an issue localized to my base.

Could we get additional information? Did you have any zombie corpses around the place at all? Did you kill any zombies near your base before relogging?

Well I make some more tests on my save file. I think it hapend also a few times in version 41.72 but it was so reare i was not shure zombie pop up in building or i dont sow it on minimap. But not its regular. I can say with all responsibility zombies show up in buildings i already clear at least a mounth earlier. Buidlings in difrent map cell then me and dead corps already disapire ( i dont know how many days exacly, but evry time bodies already go away and in my settings crops disapire aftr 7 days.) Still not fully shure those are conditions i must made its more les what happening in my game. I have courently base at top of gas station in croseroad south from westhpoint. near is car dealer and spifo bar. I clear that bar already 3 times.....

9 hours ago, Yana M.D. said:

Could we get additional information? Did you have any zombie corpses around the place at all? Did you kill any zombies near your base before relogging?

Yes, my apologies. I did not realize there was a standardized format here.

Yes, there are plenty of zombie corpses around. None of them seemed to move/disappear. No, I did not fight any zombies in my base for several days. My base is the construction site in Rosewood (Reference: https://map.projectzomboid.com/#8254x11876x1027). As you can see from the base's layout, there is only one way in or out of the base for zombies, with that being the gate on the south side of the wall. The gate was intact, as was the door on my base, which is the north-most trailer. I barricaded every window and put sheets over every door and every window and door is intact. I reloaded the game in front of my TV and the zombie appeared in front of the bathroom door, only a few tiles away.

The trailer that set off a house alarm when I re-entered it is the trailer directly adjacent to my trailer to the south-east. There were no zombies inside, but I had previously entered and looted that trailer multiple times without issue. The house alarm aggravated a zombie in the bathroom of the trailer to the southwest of the trailer that set off the house alarm, which was also previously cleared. 

The closest house on the west side of the construction site was also previously cleared and again set off a house alarm when I entered it to see if zombies respawned there, too. There were no zombies in that building, but the house alarm did go off when I entered through the unlocked front door.

Please let me know if I can provide any further information! To reiterate, I am playing unmodded on survivor mode in the unstable build. I believe these events occurred on the 41.72 build, but I have since moved my save to build 41.73.

I think I got something similar happen to me just now in my project Dixie self set up challenge/start. Teleported in from Muldraugh and then have not messed around with mods/dev mode. Started in 41.72 and have not updated or anything. Have not even started GoG since I updated PZ. (So not Steam messing with me)

Date 07/17. So that is about 8 days in. 14:00 around that time it seems like every commercial building respawn Z's. But to be fair I can not really say if anyone spawned inside a building since only the Diner had 1 Zombie spawn in when starting the game. And sure enough he was in there after the map seemed to have repopulated.

Even the food store seemed to respawn a known Zombie being the store person so sticks out. Standing on the same got dam tile that smug bastard outside of the main door. 

But agen it is not 100% safe to say if it just happened to be Z's where I encountered them before but it really feels like it.

Windows where broken to get into the buildings in the first place. So the Z inside of the Diner may just have gotten in there by the window. And the store Zombie was standing outside and sure he can just have happened to be a store Z that just happened to be there. But I mean they where literally the same kind of Zombie standing on the same general tile that I found them the first time around. Different hair and gender but just to sus.

No alarms first time around. And no alarms this time. All doors I have unlocked where still unlocked. It literally looks like all the commercial + pump station Zombies respawned as when I first began playing on day 1. But almost no Zombies spawned in the trailer parks. Only 5 or so on the edge of my screen view. Rest where all around the pump and general vicinity of commercial. 

And it happened without saving/loading the game. But I play at daylength 4. So it complicates things I'm sure.

I hotwired a van around say 12:00 and was making allot of noise with my revolver and van taking the popsicle cooler from the gas station to my trailer home. I basically killed off the last Zombies in Dixie as I loaded the popsicle freezer into my van and set up and moved all my frozen perishable food from the neighbors fridges. Was done with that around 15:00.

I literally had a 3h session so if any respawning happened it did when I was playing for sure.

Moving the postictal fridge into a trailer and emptying 3 trailer fridges, making chicken leg in the oven. Cleaning up my messy trailer after 8 days of looting Dixie! It really is the amount of time I was not watching for Zombies in general just being in my trailer base messing around. Sure I had made allot of noise at the gas station but when I left I was sure the hole place was empty of Zombies. Knowing Dixie was clear and safe around 13:00.

I walk out for some meat clever action 15:00 after fridge moving and find 5 randomly out of screen space from my trailer. Ok easy. Walks over to more Z's in the rest stop building with benches and kill 4 more having a good time. Then looks into the center of Dixie (front of pumps) and it looks like day 1. So I dropped everything and started to sneak around running not trying to clear them out but check what had happened and where they where.

I have done allot of sandbox config changing and is quite used to how fresh spawn Zombies looks like with the way I play PZ.

I run around to check how many they are and basically all commercial respawned and both trailer parks where clean of Zombies. I have stayed in Dixie for more or less the hole 8 days and only ventured onto the highway and over to the car sale place towards Louisville direction. (Molan's Used Cars close to Dixie) Leaving from there with no gunshots or dragging a hoard with me or anything. Staying just in Dixie killing every single one off with shotgun what not days before helicopter. When the Zombies appeared I was using the 5 shot revolver. And a van.

Helicopter even happened just the other day so maybe dragged them towards Dixie? And shooting at the gas station and then moving everything into a van was not long enough for them to get into view range? I just can not see that being true. Even if they can travel 100 tiles it just seems not right that so many Z's appeared as spawn ins. 

I am sure my travel to Molan's Used Cars happened after Helicopter helicopter! when the helicopter was over me I was sitting in a bathroom hurt from a close escape with a car dropping my military helmet on the highway. I went to Molan's after helicopter event and I'm sure of that. Did not meet a big zombie hoard on the highway driving a broken car to Molan's and a nice new car back to Dixie with little to no trouble with Zombies.

My base of operation is in the wood cabin before the abounded train station. Just to sleep and such. Only other cells I have loaded other then that are Muldraugh spawn on day 1. Really this game of mine very much was 8 days in Dixie.

Like look at my Sandbox settings. How have so many migrated and such to Dixie so that it looks like everyone have respawned? And if it was me shooting the gun and driving the van why where they so spaced out like they where fresh spawns? Usually having group size 0 means that they naturally form groups if you make sounds attracting them. Spread out evenly all across Dixie commercial like that can not be right. :_c 

It seems just so odd that the Heli and gunshots can have done this. Or that so many Z's migrated all at ones into a cell I was actively staying in. Even if they happen to be in the center of the cell I can not believe this is intentional. 

Date 07/17.

210 Zombies killed.

Daylength 4h. Start 07/09  09:00.

Pop Mult.     0.35

Pop Star.     1.0

Pop Peak.    1.5

Peak Day.     58

Respawn Hour       120.0

Respawn Unseen: 168.0

Respawn Mult:        0.05

Redistrubution       10.0

Follow Sound         100

Rally Group             0

Rally Travel              20

Rally Radius             15

Rally G radius          3

RZ_Kentucky_V41-72_Low_002.cfg

Edited by Turbo50
Helicopter

On 7/19/2022 at 2:40 PM, Yana M.D. said:

Thank you, we will try to replicate this issue on our side. I would like to see the advanced zombie settings, though, if it's possible. Just to make sure the zombie respawn was disabled correctly :)

I just saw in your most recent update that this issue is holding up the stable release. Sorry for late response (again). I just enabled email notifications.

Here is the preset I use. Changing the respawn multiplier may have been redundant, but I think the issue is moot as the zombies should not be able to respawn right on top of me anyway. AFAIK, there is no setting for resetting house alarms, either. Loot respawn is disabled by default, as this is just survivor difficulty without respawns. 

EDIT: As I was going through my preset again, I forgot to mention that my day length was set to 2 hours instead of the default 1 hour. I doubt it's relevant, but I want to give you all as much information as possible. 

20220722122928_1.jpg

Edited by The Boominator
Forgot one minor detail

Dunno if it helps or not, but I had exactly same thing happened to me on 41.72 build. A crawler zombie spawned in my bedroom on 2nd floor, there's absolutely no way he somehow got in there. Plus I had respawns off too. Other buildings that I already looted also seemed to have zombies respawned.