zombie detection range

Swagger

Hi, really impressed with the game so far.  I haven't found this information anywhere so thought I would ask.  Does anyone know how sound detection works for the different items.  For instance the handgun, if I fire a gun from one corner of the map will zombies on the opposite side of the map hear the shot or only zombies within X range?  The same with fire and light sources, will all zombies on the map converge on the source or just those within X range?  If its X range does anyone know the range ? :P

X range. X depends on what the sound or light-source is.

Another factor (which I'm pretty sure isn't completely implemented is varying degrees of attraction. So a repetitive noise like a generator would bring many zombies at first but wouldn't keep bringing them. The light from a candle behind a pair of curtains would be mostly blocked out so the small amount of light that does get through wouldn't attract as many zombies as if there weren't any curtains.

Again, I'm pretty sure that kind of thing isn't fully implemented at this time, but it'd certainly be nice.

you can find (and edit) the sound radius of guns (pistol and shotgun for now) in

\Desura\Common\Project Zomboid\media\scripts\items.txt file

The pistol:

SoundRadius    =    75,

and Shotgun:

SoundRadius    =    200,

Now im not sure how those numbers work in game, but you could try different ones and see how much 1 sound radius effects. And always remember to make a backup before fidling with game files.  ;) There are ways of doing this without touching the files themselves, but i think it's a good way to start seeing how the game mechanics work.

Archived